Young Tomfoolery to pursue HOF TE at retirement center...

Mr. Right

Though it is just rumors, much like the case with L.J. Smith, the Falcons have shown immense interest in Tony Gonzalez. While Gonzalez is one of the best, one has to question, why would the Falcons pursue such a player?

A couple things to keep in mind:

-Young Tom has said that we are rebuilding. Bringing in veteran players, especially at 33, is definitely NOT what a rebuilding franchise does - especially when obtaining him means giving up a second round pick. Second round picks for a rebuilding team are extremely valuable.

-Tony Gonzalez has stated last season that he did not want to come here. So why should we bring in a player that does not want to play here, when he will likely become a lockerroom cancer.

-It has been said that Mularkey does not utilize TEs that much. So what would be the point of bringing in a HOF TE to play for us? Seems like a waste of money.

-TE is not a big hole for us. We have other needs - spending a 2nd rounder on Gonzalez would really damper our hopes for rebuilding.

Has the front office forgotten already? When Mora came in, he led the Falcons to a 11-5 record, which became an 8-8 record the next year. Questionable offseason moves like this will again prevent us from having back to back winning seasons. Maybe, Arthur Bank is in desperate need for some publicity and loose change? Are the we so bad that we need to resort to signing big name FAs just to sell tickets?

Or, is there just some Tomfoolery abound? For now, let's just hope this is a rumor.

Discuss.

Though it is just rumors, much like the case with L.J. Smith, the Falcons have shown immense interest in Tony Gonzalez. While Gonzalez is one of the best, one has to question, why would the Falcons pursue such a player?

Because if you want to win you need vets on the team. We just cut four or five and are in need of some leadership. Plus a pass catching TE was a void in our scheme last year.

-Young Tom has said that we are rebuilding. Bringing in veteran players, especially at 33, is definitely NOT what a rebuilding franchise does - especially when obtaining him means giving up a second round pick. Second round picks for a rebuilding team are extremely valuable.
Don't believe everything you here on this board about rebuilding.
-Tony Gonzalez has stated last season that he did not want to come here. So why should we bring in a player that does not want to play here, when he will likely become a lockerroom cancer.
Because he was talking about a four win team, not an eleven win team.
-It has been said that Mularkey does not utilize TEs that much. So what would be the point of bringing in a HOF TE to play for us? Seems like a waste of money.
By who? This board? Who else? :rolleyes:
-TE is not a big hole for us. We have other needs - spending a 2nd rounder on Gonzalez would really damper our hopes for rebuilding.
Ugh, sorry but not having a TE threat was a weakness on offense last year. Gonzalez can still play. He is better than Crumpler, Mitchell and Miller. They weren't even on the same planet. One skinny post from Ryan to him and you will change this tune.
Has the front office forgotten already? When Mora came in, he led the Falcons to a 11-5 record, which became an 8-8 record the next year. Questionable offseason moves like this will again prevent us from having back to back winning seasons.
The reason we went 8-8 the next year is because of the schedule we got coming off of the 11-5. We are facing a similar situation this year. I pointed that out on this board but oh no, the loyalists say bring it on. NFC South, AFC East, NFC East and CHI. We want the best. OK.

Maybe, Arthur Bank is in desperate need for some publicity and loose change? Are the we so bad that we need to resort to signing big name FAs just to sell tickets?

Or, is there just some Tomfoolery abound? For now, let's just hope this is a rumor.

Discuss.

I think you quite possibly might be clueless.

A couple things to keep in mind:

-Young Tom has said that we are rebuilding. Bringing in veteran players, especially at 33, is definitely NOT what a rebuilding franchise does -?

the same reason they brought in peterson at 33 ..... when a good player that fits your teams needs you take him...

"Because he was talking about a four win team, not an eleven win team."

Exactly. He did not want to come here when we were a four win team but prefered to stay on an equally bad (that year) KC team that turned out even worse. Never understood why he didn't want to come here, but the fact that he might suddenly have changed his tune now that we are winners and his KC still stinks says something to me. It might work out great if we continue to win, but if we struggle, is he going to go back to being the Tony Gonzalez who did not want to pay for Atlanta?

No point wasting a pick on a guy who wanted nothing to do with the rebuilding part of our program, but now wants to jump on the bandwagon. Sounds eerily similar to wanting to be at the top but being unwilling to work for it. I certainly hope we look elsewhere. And that is all an issue even before you look at his age, his contract, his cap charge and the presumed 2nd round pick as a price. If we weren't good enough for him last year, then he (at 33) isnt good enough for us now.

Stats mean less when the TE is a primary target in KC, which he won't be here. Work ethic and team committment mean much more. "I wont come to Atlanta because they aren't a superbowl contender" isn't the team ethic I want to see from a pricey tackle-eligible, which is really what he is.

the same reason they brought in peterson at 33 ..... when a good player that fits your teams needs you take him...

Except Peterson we signed off the FA and Gonzalez we are trading for.

"Because he was talking about a four win team, not an eleven win team."

Exactly. He did not want to come here when we were a four win team but prefered to stay on an equally bad (that year) KC team that turned out even worse. Never understood why he didn't want to come here, but the fact that he might suddenly have changed his tune now that we are winners and his KC still stinks says something to me. It might work out great if we continue to win, but if we struggle, is he going to go back to being the Tony Gonzalez who did not want to pay for Atlanta?

No point wasting a pick on a guy who wanted nothing to do with the rebuilding part of our program, but now wants to jump on the bandwagon. Sounds eerily similar to wanting to be at the top but being unwilling to work for it. I certainly hope we look elsewhere. And that is all an issue even before you look at his age, his contract, his cap charge and the presumed 2nd round pick as a price. If we weren't good enough for him last year, then he (at 33) isnt good enough for us now.

Stats mean less when the TE is a primary target in KC, which he won't be here. Work ethic and team committment mean much more. "I wont come to Atlanta because they aren't a superbowl contender" isn't the team ethic I want to see from a pricey tackle-eligible, which is really what he is.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

As I posted elsewhere.....youre on a crappy KC team. Is it really worth it to uproot your family, sell your house, learn a new offense and basically start over when the guys throwing you the ball at the time consisted of Harrington, Redman, Shockley, Slow-wich?

Who would walk into that on purpose? Talk about ending your career on a low-note.

How can you blame him for one second with that QB lineup?

Things are MUCH different now and with TD and Ryan you will find many more players WANTING to come to Atlanta rather than running the other way.

As I posted elsewhere.....youre on a crappy KC team. Is it really worth it to uproot your family, sell your house, learn a new offense and basically start over when the guys throwing you the ball at the time consisted of Harrington, Redman, Shockley, Slow-wich?

Who would walk into that on purpose? Talk about ending your career on a low-note.

How can you blame him for one second with that QB lineup?

Things are MUCH different now and with TD and Ryan you will find many more players WANTING to come to Atlanta rather than running the other way.

Last year, Matt Ryan was our QB. We did not have Leftwich or Harrington on the roster when Gonzalez declared he did not want to come here. And here's a question for you. If Gonzalez is not willing to play for a bad team, what happens if he comes here and we don't do as well as expected? Will he stop playing 100%?