Wom sell me on the PS3

I'm not here to sell people the system. I'm here to discuss PS3 with existing or potential PS3 owners.

If you want games recommendations (If you do go this route), then I have some:

- LittleBigPlanet

- Killzone 2

- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

- Resistance 2

- Resistance: Fall of Man

- MLB 09: The Show

- Valkyria Chronicles

- Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (!!!!)

- Warhawk

- Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

- MotorStorm: Pacific Rift

- Folklore

- SingStar

- Heavenly Sword (Rent, unless you can find it for cheap. Great game, but short.)

- Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Those are all great exclusives (10 of which I own.). You also have the likes of GTA IV, Call of Duty games, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, sports games, etc..

PSN Releases:

- High Velocity Bowling

- Super Stardust HD

- WipEout HD

- Tekken 5

- Wheel of Fortune

- Flower

- Burnout Paradise

- Siren: Blood Curse

The unfortunate thing is that I do not have an HDTV in my apartment anymore. I used to have a 51" 720p but my roommate moved out and took it with him. I am basically stuck between a rock and a hard place, because I want to spend a little bit extra and get a new TV, but the PS3 is also something that I want. I will have enough from my tax return to get the PS3 and maybe 2 games. I know I want Killzone 2, and I think I might go with either MGS4 or I might get a sports game.

I have a ton of games for my Xbox 360 so I figure I will only aim for exclusive titles for the PS3. MLB the show certainly intrigues me though. How is that?

Also how is the online play for the PS3? I am used to my Xbox, will I be disappointed?

The unfortunate thing is that I do not have an HDTV in my apartment anymore. I used to have a 51" 720p but my roommate moved out and took it with him. I am basically stuck between a rock and a hard place, because I want to spend a little bit extra and get a new TV, but the PS3 is also something that I want. I will have enough from my tax return to get the PS3 and maybe 2 games. I know I want Killzone 2, and I think I might go with either MGS4 or I might get a sports game.

I have a ton of games for my Xbox 360 so I figure I will only aim for exclusive titles for the PS3. MLB the show certainly intrigues me though. How is that?

Also how is the online play for the PS3? I am used to my Xbox, will I be disappointed?

I basically just got my PS3 for blu rays and MLB The Show...I am pleased with it....I still prefer my 360 and buy games for that if they come out on both systems...but you cant go wrong if you purchase the PS3....the only thing I dont like is Home for Ps3...I think it is the dumbest thing ever...but other than that it is a good system

In order to get the most out of the Blu-Ray, you really need a 1080p TV that has a 120hz refresh rate minimum. The 60hz still has lag issues on blu ray media. I am buying a TV soon and went to a friends home furnishings store and we hooked it up to all of them and the 120hz looked awesome. The 240hz was awesome, but it's also still a very expensive technology right now. I'm getting an LG that's an 80,000:1 ratio, 120hz refresh rate, and is 1080p.

Online is great for me. Stable, no lag, dedicated servers for the exclusives and most of the multiplatform games, in-game voice chat, good community, etc.

The wi-fi capabilities are reliable. I play online on my wireless network, and there's no lag whatsoever.

I use Home often to meet friends online and play bowling or pool. Now that we have poker in Home, we'll begin to do that. Once the EA Sports Complex is released shortly, we'll have more options with golf, RC car racing, and so on.

The PlayStation Store is filled with content. Games, movies, TV shows, demos, trailers, etc..

There is 6-person video/voice chat outside of games. There is text chatrooms cross-game (PS3 doesn't require the use of proprietary accessories. I've had my keyboard plugged into the PS3 since I bought it, and its a keyboard I bought in 1999 for $5.).

You can use any bluetooth or USB headset with the PS3. Easy to synchronize.

Top-notch blu-ray player, great audio with the support of the latest HDMI standard, etc..

I've used my main PS3 for over 2,000 hours since I bought it. No regrets, and I love it.

No. I've completed dozens of WU's in Folding@Home (8 hours each. I basically ran the PS3 through many nights.). I've also used my PS3 for movies, music playback, communication, games, and downloading content (The PS3 has to be on while downloading content from the PS Store.).

It's not 2,000 of me holding a controller. It's 2,000 hours of PS3 utilization, in general.

Get a good hdtv before you get the ps3, but get a ps3 if you love movies and want to watch Blu ray.

does anyone else recommend this? The plan is to get an HDTV eventually; however, right now I have the funds to pay for the PS3 straight up, and get two games, or one game and another controller.

does anyone else recommend this? The plan is to get an HDTV eventually; however, right now I have the funds to pay for the PS3 straight up, and get two games, or one game and another controller.

I did earlier. You can play it and enjoy it fine, but if you plan on using it for Blu Ray then you're going to need a good HDTV that has at least a 120hz refresh rate.

I did earlier. You can play it and enjoy it fine, but if you plan on using it for Blu Ray then you're going to need a good HDTV that has at least a 120hz refresh rate.

yeah I saw that, I was just getting a general consensus...

Why I have a very good job, I am still basically a full time student. For me to take full advantage of an HDTV right now (receive normal HD channels) I basically have to jump through hoops with my housing office. I really would like to get a TV, but without a blueray player I really would not be able to enjoy HD until I graduate (next year), and find a new place to live.

Basically I am stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. I cant full enjoy the PS3 without the HDTV, but I can't enjoy the HDTV at all without the PS3's blue ray player. Thats why I am considering getting the PS3 first, so I can at least enjoy the games.

Also I heard the MLB the show has really bad lag online. Is this going to be fixed?

yeah I saw that, I was just getting a general consensus...

Why I have a very good job, I am still basically a full time student. For me to take full advantage of an HDTV right now (receive normal HD channels) I basically have to jump through hoops with my housing office. I really would like to get a TV, but without a blueray player I really would not be able to enjoy HD until I graduate (next year), and find a new place to live.

Basically I am stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. I cant full enjoy the PS3 without the HDTV, but I can't enjoy the HDTV at all without the PS3's blue ray player. Thats why I am considering getting the PS3 first, so I can at least enjoy the games.

Also I heard the MLB the show has really bad lag online. Is this going to be fixed?

You know that even if you get HD channels that they're not going to be broadcast in 1080 right? They can tell you that they can do it, but none of them are broadcast in 1080. Yes, there is a noticable difference in HD channels versus standard definition, but you're not going to get impressed until you have it hooked up to a blu ray player. Getting HD channels is nice, and I really enjoy them on my Aquos, but the new TV I'm buying isn't for HD broadcasts, it's strictly because of the blu ray movies I watch. I'd get the PS3 now and not buy any blu ray movies because you're not going to get the full capabilities of them anyway until you get an HDTV. I'd play the games and save the blu ray until I upgraded TV's.

You know that even if you get HD channels that they're not going to be broadcast in 1080 right? They can tell you that they can do it, but none of them are broadcast in 1080. Yes, there is a noticable difference in HD channels versus standard definition, but you're not going to get impressed until you have it hooked up to a blu ray player. Getting HD channels is nice, and I really enjoy them on my Aquos, but the new TV I'm buying isn't for HD broadcasts, it's strictly because of the blu ray movies I watch. I'd get the PS3 now and not buy any blu ray movies because you're not going to get the full capabilities of them anyway until you get an HDTV. I'd play the games and save the blu ray until I upgraded TV's.

yeah my parents have a 1080p at home, and they only get channels broadcast in in 480p, one step above SDTV 480i... there is one channel that they get in 720p but that's it. I know at the very least I could always take advantage of the blue ray on their tv.

MLB: The Show does lag online. Well, it did the one time I played and that is why I don't play online. It is the only game I have for the PS3. I bought my PS3 for the Blu-Ray and MLB: The Show. I rent exclusive PS3 titles but I buy all my other games on the 360. If you already have a 360 then I would go with a good television then get the PS3 later on if the price drops. This is just my opinion.

yeah my parents have a 1080p at home, and they only get channels broadcast in in 480p, one step above SDTV 480i... there is one channel that they get in 720p but that's it. I know at the very least I could always take advantage of the blue ray on their tv.

Not necessarily. Sure, it's a 1080p TV, but the real advantage of blu ray is seen on one with a high contrast ratio and a fast refresh rate. If they bought the TV more than 4 or 5 months ago, most likely the refresh rate is 60hz, and it'll still have blotchy spots. Tru Motion doesn't kick in until you get to a 120hz refresh rate. On a 240hz refresh rate, it looks even more amazing, but the 120hz is like you're riding the camera as it's filming.

I ended up getting the 120 gb ps3. It came with uncharted and at gamestop they gave me a $50 gamecard... so i bought a used Killzone 2 disc. I have only played uncharted so far, and I have to say its pretty fun, I don't know what kind of replay value I will have with it after I beat it, but I am pretty pleased with everything go far.

The TV is next on my list, but I won't be able to get that until next month, after I go back to work.

I am about to go pop in Killzone 2

Chris,

2 suggestions.

1st - if you have a pc, get TVersity (nullriver's medialink for macs) for s t r e a m i n g photos/movies/itunes(music) from your pc to your ps3. its a great media hub.

2nd - get a external hard drive and use it conserve space on your hard drive (even thought 120 gb is great). I got a 750 gb hard drive and put over 500 movies on it, now I have all my movies at my finger tips since I have it connected via usb to my ps3. works outstanding.

Lastly, check out the ps store for PSN games you might not have played on your other system....such as:

There should be demos for the following:

Flow - uses sixaxis

Flower - uses sixaxis (to me a bit better than Flow)

High Velocity Bowling (uses sixaxis)

Echochrome

Little Big Planet (think there is a demo)

Metal Gear Solid 4

Ratchet and Clank

Resistance

You MIGHT want to check out HOME, now its not the greatest right now, but there is a "game" within HOME thats called 'Xi'. Its kind of like a scavanger hunt with puzzles. Its actually got me a bit addicted right now and is a pretty cool concept. Again, some people love it, some people dont.

These are just a few....

Im sure you will enjoy, and let us fellow ps3 owners know your psn id so we can add you to our friends list.

How are you liking Killzone 2?

Uncharted is a great experience. Uncharted 2 releases late this year.

I'm still getting the lay of the land on Killzone. I haven't taken it online yet. The controller layout is a lot different then what I am used to... I really wish I could map commands to individual buttons. If I could I would let L2 be sprint, and L1 be set to zoom when I hold it. I figure I'll play through the campaign first and then focus on the online.