Trade A Second Round For 2 Years 10.25 Million Dollar.....

That is what we would be getting if we trade for Gonzalez with a second round and then after 2 years we would have to either resign or pick-up another TE. Why would we want to invest that kind of money for 2 years when we could draft one in the low rounds or keep what we have and save the money for other needs. Just Say No To Gonzo.

LINK DISCUSSING GONZO'S CONTRACT

That is what we would be getting if we trade for Gonzalez with a second round and then after 2 years we would have to either resign or pick-up another TE. Why would we want to invest that kind of money for 2 years when we could draft one in the low rounds or keep what we have and save the money for other needs. Just Say No To Gonzo.

My thoughts exactly!! Makes no sense at all!! If we are planning for the future this trade goes against that logic. Wasting a pick and money now when we will have to draft a TE two years from now doesnt seem like a TD move. So far his moves has been brilliant, I just dont see this move being done.

and who says he can keep up that pace for 2 more years. no, no and NO

Is it 10.25 mil for 2 seasons or 10.25 per season...?

If we wound up taking Pettigrew at #24, he would earn $2.5 million a year based on Chris Johnson's contract last year. So, we'd only be paying $1.5 million more for the certainty of Gonzalez.

It's a tough call. Gonzalez is the gold standard at his position. Pettigrew has an unusually high grade for a TE. If we get into the lower tier options such as Chase Coffman and the others, the uncertainty increases.

If we wound up taking Pettigrew at #24, he would earn $2.5 million a year based on Chris Johnson's contract last year. So, we'd only be paying $1.5 million more for the certainty of Gonzalez.

It's a tough call. Gonzalez is the gold standard at his position. Pettigrew has an unusually high grade for a TE. If we get into the lower tier options such as Chase Coffman and the others, the uncertainty increases.

But with Gonzalez you get only 2 years - with Pettigrew or any other TE drafted you have the potential of getting him for 4-5 years for the same amount.

We don't know how many years we get with Gonzalez. Wesley Walls played until he was 38. I would presume we would get 2 or possibly 3 seasons out of Gonzalez. With Pettigrew, we would get more, but we also may be getting another Vernon Davis who looks good on paper but doesn't play like a first round pick. It's a blueprint risk/reward scenario and people are right to engage in such heated debate about the conversation. If Tony Gonzalez plays six games for us and falls apart like Ed Hartwell did, it would be a disaster. Conversely, if we didn't make the trade, someone else did, Gonzalez excelled for them, and we wound up with scrub TE play that didn't allow us to have multiplicity on offense, people would be right to be furious. This is a scenario where there is no certainty. If I knew for a fact that Gonzalez would play three more years, I'd give up a second round pick for him in the blink of an eye. As it is, a third rounder sounds about right to me, and that's a pick we would probably spend on Chase Coffman anyway.

We don't know how many years we get with Gonzalez. Wesley Walls played until he was 38. I would presume we would get 2 or possibly 3 seasons out of Gonzalez. With Pettigrew, we would get more, but we also may be getting another Vernon Davis who looks good on paper but doesn't play like a first round pick. It's a blueprint risk/reward scenario and people are right to engage in such heated debate about the conversation. If Tony Gonzalez plays six games for us and falls apart like Ed Hartwell did, it would be a disaster. Conversely, if we didn't make the trade, someone else did, Gonzalez excelled for them, and we wound up with scrub TE play that didn't allow us to have multiplicity on offense, people would be right to be furious. This is a scenario where there is no certainty. If I knew for a fact that Gonzalez would play three more years, I'd give up a second round pick for him in the blink of an eye. As it is, a third rounder sounds about right to me, and that's a pick we would probably spend on Chase Coffman anyway.

On his current contract we get 2 years at 10.25 million - after that there is no guarentee that we resign him or not. Gonzalez could play another 20 years but that doesn't mean he would play in Atlanta. His current contract that we would trade for is for only 2 more years.

On his current contract we get 2 years at 10.25 million - after that there is no guarentee that we resign him or not. Gonzalez could play another 20 years but that doesn't mean he would play in Atlanta. His current contract that we would trade for is for only 2 more years.

And if the Falcons want him for longer, they would quickly move to re-sign him. Gonzalez has only played for one team in his career. He's not a carpet bagger.

The money for Gonzo is not bad at all, in fact very doable IMO.

The second round pick is a bit dicey, but if a 3rd rounder then this would be a No Brainer.

Smitty and Mularkey will not over use Tony, and with that I fully believe that we will

get a solid 3 year performance out of the guy.

IF TD pulls the trigger on this deal then you know and I know that this is also

based largely upon Mularkeys end.

TD, Smitty and Mularkey know what we need based on the Plays they want to incorporate

going into the 09 season.

Also one other thing to be considered.

Gonzo is a HOFer and he will be able to pass on some Golden tid bits to Ryan and that alone will be

worth the investment.

IMO Ryan and Gonzo deserve this, and I hope that it happens!