Can Somebody Please Tell Me the Great Difference Between English and Beirmann?

Aside from race of course, and English being one inch shorter and 14 pounds heavier.

What is it about English that makes him worthy of our first round, while Biermann was a solid pick in the 5th?

I've heard people say Kroy could never be anything other than a situational pass rusher, but that English could be a future starter.

How so?

I'd be interested in an answer to this as well.

I'm just having issues with having a guy who by all accounts seems perfectly suited for a 3-4 defense come in here as our first round pick. Why would we want a 3-4 rush linebacker when our issues aren't in that area? English is most likely too small to be an every down defensive end, particularly a left end (run-support) and if we're going to draft a DE in the first, it'd better be a guy who can stand up to the pounding at the position.

Unless we're planning for life after Abraham, but he's got plenty left in the tank and I just can't see using a pick on English when we need true LINEBACKER help as well as DT and safety.

If English is the best option available, I'd trade down.

Direwolf

I'm just having issues with having a guy who by all accounts seems perfectly suited for a 3-4 defense come in here as our first round pick. Why would we want a 3-4 rush linebacker when our issues aren't in that area? English is most likely too small to be an every down defensive end, particularly a left end (run-support) and if we're going to draft a DE in the first, it'd better be a guy who can stand up to the pounding at the position.

Unless we're planning for life after Abraham, but he's got plenty left in the tank and I just can't see using a pick on English when we need true LINEBACKER help as well as DT and safety.

Direwolf

Not sure whether I want us to take him or not, but he does look like a clone of Abraham from the videos I've watched . . .

English is in the 265-275 neighborhood. Bierman is a glorified linebacker put at DE for rushing situations, because he's pretty good at it. English is bigger, faster, more agile, more athletic, and just more talented.

What is with this "Oh, he's meant for a 3-4 defense?" Abraham played linebacker/DE at South Carolina, and how is he doing at DE? Don't buy into that. We could go linebacker in the draft, or we could go DE with English, who reminds me a lot of Abraham. Either way, if we draft English he's going to be a DE, and he should be pretty **** good. If we go linebacker, so be it.

English is in the 265-275 neighborhood. Bierman is a glorified linebacker put at DE for rushing situations, because he's pretty good at it. English is bigger, faster, more agile, more athletic, and just more talented.

What is with this "Oh, he's meant for a 3-4 defense?" Abraham played linebacker/DE at South Carolina, and how is he doing at DE? Don't buy into that. We could go linebacker in the draft, or we could go DE with English, who reminds me a lot of Abraham. Either way, if we draft English he's going to be a DE, and he should be pretty **** good. If we go linebacker, so be it.

Well put. English has put on more weight to play 4-3 DE & vs the run.

& chances are will have a much more productive rookie yr than JA98 did.

Direwolf

I agree about trading down, that is if Matthews, Laurinitis, Cushing, Malualuga or Pettigrew aren't available.

English is a 'tweener like Biermann. Both Kiper and McShay have even shied away from us taking him in the first.

the difference is that Biermann is a Dirty Bird, and English will be playing in a 3-4 in the afc

True and whether folks realize it or not we already have a crap load of money tied up in the DE position. And we have Biermann (as you pointed out) and just resigned Chauncey. And it appears the falcons are not unhappy with JA98 (like most folks are on here) and Abe is still playing at a high level.

Don't think a DE will be the high pick this year. Maybe a late round gem....

True and whether folks realize it or not we already have a crap load of money tied up in the DE position. And we have Biermann (as you pointed out) and just resigned Chauncey. And it appears the falcons are not unhappy with JA98 (like most folks are on here) and Abe is still playing at a high level.

Don't think a DE will be the high pick this year. Maybe a late round gem....

I disagree, we may have alot of money tied up into the DE position, but the only players producing consistently is Abe (47% of our sack total last year). The FO is apparently very interested in bring in someone that can get to the QB. The Falcons are pretty high on alot of DE that are projected to go in the early rounds. We need help at DE, we need someone else to produce besides Abe, and we need some insurance for Abe. English would be a great pick IMO, Biermann is a late round pick, and I would put too much on him producing at a high level in his 2nd round, unless he picks up more weight.

He's actually not a bad run stuffer. He holds his own on running downs.

From everything I've seen of him, he IS the next John Abraham (minus the injuries :P). I would have no problem taking him in the SECOND round of this years draft. Shoring up on OLB, NT, and TE are much more pressing needs than DE at this point. I wouldn't doubt that we'll take a DE at some point in this year's draft though.

Direwolf

agree 110%

Aside from race of course, and English being one inch shorter and 14 pounds heavier.

What is it about English that makes him worthy of our first round, while Biermann was a solid pick in the 5th?

I've heard people say Kroy could never be anything other than a situational pass rusher, but that English could be a future starter.

How so?

Link???

Direwolf

Where have you heard that he is only suited to play in a 3-4, English is not going to be a left end, he will be a coming in on passing downs, maybe playing some OLB in 3-4 sets, but will eventually replace Abe at the RDE, but he will not be a LDE. English is best suited to play as a RDE or as a rush LB in the 3-4.

lol. Of course. I forgot about all the experts on here. I don't think there is much of a difference between the guys either. Beirmann needs to gain a few pounds but that's about it.