Glavine may not be ready by Saturday

Unknøwn

ATLANTA -- Tom Glavine might not be able to make his scheduled regular-season debut with the Braves on Saturday.

While completing his last scheduled Minor League rehab start for Double-A Mississippi on Sunday afternoon, Glavine was limited to two innings because of left shoulder discomfort that he encountered during his second-inning at-bat.

Glavine will be further evaluated by the Braves' medical staff when he returns to Atlanta. His status for Saturday's scheduled start against the Pirates remains uncertain.

The 43-year-old Glavine is attempting to return from an August surgical procedure that repaired a torn flexor tendon in his left elbow and also removed debris from his left shoulder, which has provided him discomfort throughout most of his career.

After experiencing some shoulder discomfort in early March, Glavine had been encouraged by the way that he felt during each of his previous three outings.

Before exiting Sunday's two-inning outing against Carolina, Glavine had allowed one run on three hits.

Bring on Hanson for Saturday

I think Jo-Jo is going to make the start if Glavine can't, not Hanson.

"With Glavine's incentive-laden contract calling for him to receive a $1 million bonus once he's placed on the active roster, the Braves obviously have reason to keep him on the disabled list until they're 100 percent confident that he's physically capable of handling the fifth spot in their rotation.

Thus it seems highly likely that Glavine won't make his scheduled regular-season debut against the Pirates on Saturday. Instead, the Braves may turn to one of their Minor Leaguer hurlers. A likely candidate is Jo-Jo Reyes, who is currently scheduled to start for Triple-A Gwinnett on Tuesday.

Unlike top prospect Tommy Hanson, Reyes is already on the 40-man roster. The Braves will likely allow Hanson to remain on a regular schedule with Gwinnett through at least the end of this month.

The makeup of Atlanta's is schedule such that the only two days the Braves needed a fifth starter this month are Saturday and April 28.

The 43-year-old Glavine is attempting to return from an August surgical procedure that repaired a torn flexor tendon in his left elbow and also removed debris from his left shoulder, which has provided him discomfort throughout most of his career.

After experiencing some shoulder discomfort in early March, Glavine had been encouraged by the way that he felt during each of his previous three outings."

That was part of an article on the Braves site.

I actually like Jo-Jo. He was great in the spring and has always been good in the minors. For some reason, he just struggles to control his pitches in the majors. He had a brief run last year where he showed a lot of promise, but just couldn't keep it up. I'd think he'd be okay for a couple of starts. Maybe he'll do really good and increase his trade value.

I actually like Jo-Jo. He was great in the spring and has always been good in the minors. For some reason, he just struggles to control his pitches in the majors. He had a brief run last year where he showed a lot of promise, but just couldn't keep it up. I'd think he'd be okay for a couple of starts. Maybe he'll do really good and increase his trade value.

Jo Jo sucks. He's a head case. I don't care how good he does in the minors, he's shown multiple times that he can't make the mental adjustment to pitching in the pros. We've got much better options to bring up than him... the only reason we won't do it is because of MONEY. It's not going to be a decision made in the best interests of the team.

I think bringing up Hanson would make his arbitration tougher for the braves..

something called "Super 2"?

I am not certain, but that could be a reason to keep him down for a few months.

This is the same problem the Rays are having with David Price. Thats why he started in the minors this year.

I think bringing up Hanson would make his arbitration tougher for the braves..

something called "Super 2"?

I am not certain, but that could be a reason to keep him down for a few months.

This is the same problem the Rays are having with David Price. Thats why he started in the minors this year.

you never know tho. Maybe thats a bad thing?

I hope Hanson gets the start. I could see us doing something dumb like calling up Jo-Jo for the start, though.

That's probably what's going to happen because they wont want to bounce Hanson back and forth so much. Either Jo-Jo or Campillo.

The Braves have 3 pitchers in the bullpen that can make a spot start so I dont see them calling up Hanson unless it's to stay.