Source: Bucs sign Leftwich

slamee101

Link

Free-agent quarterback Byron Leftwich has agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers also were interested in Leftwich, who joins a depth chart in Tampa that includes Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and Brian Griese.

Leftwich, 29, a first-round draft pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars out of Marshall in 2003, won a Super Bowl ring last season as a backup with the Steelers.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder has started just eight games since 2006, his last season with the Jaguars. He played for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007.

Leftwich passed for 303 yards with two touchdowns in five appearances with the Steelers last season as Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

I predict he'll be there opening day starter.

Not too shabby. Better than McCown anyway.

i saw him play in Jax, I saw him play in Atl , with the teams Bucs play this yr , if he starts from day 1, he will be most sacked qb in NFL untill he is hurt lol, the dudes drop back is slow and his release is soooooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww , Elite Pass Rushers lick their chops when they face this guy, Bucs are better off with what they had dude.... just my opioion after watching Leftwitch his whole nfl career , ppl in Jax could not stand him man....

If they do run a West Coast, he is the worst QB they could sign.

The new offense is not a WC, or spread. Jagz is a run first offense with playaction and deep routes as well as efficiency. We will see a ZBS OLine, RB tandem in Ward/Graham, and alot of dual TE sets with Winslow and Stevens. Bryant will be a reliable #1 with speed and Clayton will sub in/out with Stevens.

Leftwich is not suited for a WCO, which we saw in ATL. He benefits from using his deep accuracy and good decisions. Despite his slow delivery, it doesn't translate into his numbers when running a non-WCO where he can use a solid running game to set up the pass. He makes particularly quick decisions, and throws a great long ball. But with his immobility he can be a bit of a target, and subsequently takes some hits. (ie injuries)

Leftwich was successful in the offense that Pittsburgh runs particularly because of these parameters... and by all accounts Raheem Morris is molding his offense and coordinators around the same method as Mike Tomlin, his good friend.

He is a great backup, much better than Griese. If McCown can't cut it, Leftwich will be the placeholder for the QB drafted in 2010.

I'll say this...if you can keep him upright, he can be decent....he has the stature and arm strength.

I'm not sure if Tampa's line is that kind of line though.

i agree. i dont think its a bad a signing as some make it out to be. the guy has a good arm. IMO he's a good qb as long as you can protect him. if not you're in big trouble because of his release. he has a pretty decent line in tampa and probably the best targets he's ever played with.

i agree. i dont think its a bad a signing as some make it out to be. the guy has a good arm. IMO he's a good qb as long as you can protect him. if not you're in big trouble because of his release. he has a pretty decent line in tampa and probably the best targets he's ever played with.

at one time in jax he had J Smith,JJ Stokes, M Hatchette , K Brady and F Taylor... thats a decent group he had when he earned his nic, Radio lol

Radio... :lol: ... thats just not right :lol:

i was at a game in 2006 in Jax and the whole Stadium was chantting Radio Radio Radio...

they hated him in Jax

I'll say this...if you can keep him upright, he can be decent....he has the stature and arm strength.

:lol: Bucs line is great. Jeff Garcia danced around the pocket way to much for any line to block for him.

Davin Joseph went to the pro-bowl last year.

Jeff Faine played up to his contracts standards (yes that big contract) and become a huge leader in the lockerroom.

Arron Sears and Jeremy Zuttah have been above average in their time at LG.

Donald Penn shut down some serious DE's last year. He has started 28(?) games in 2 years and played well above his pay.

And Trueblood. Well, the guy has a mean streak and has been a serviceable RT.

Of the many weaknesses on this new team, the line is not one of them. This is likely the most talented OL in Tampa, even better than when we had Gruber. ****, this year it might be the best in the division.

:lol: Bucs line is great. Jeff Garcia danced around the pocket way to much for any line to block for him.

Does anyone even pay attention to the games? Garcia was a horrible presence on the field. He danced on every play, even when he had no pressure. His improvised roll outs and the hesitancy to throw the ball to wide open receivers cost us some games. His ego contributed to our collapse.

But to say the Tampa OL is a scrubs unit is uninformed. I'm more confident about the line than any other unit, besides running backs. Rival fans need to pay attention.

Does anyone even pay attention to the games? Garcia was a horrible presence on the field. He danced on every play, even when he had no pressure. His improvised roll outs and the hesitancy to throw the ball to wide open receivers cost us some games. His ego contributed to our collapse.

But to say the Tampa OL is a scrubs unit is uninformed. I'm more confident about the line than any other unit, besides running backs. Rival fans need to pay attention.

Yup, and im not sure McCown will be much better in that sense. He has terrible pocket presence.

Hopefull this new ZBS catches on fast. Faine believes this line was made for it and I hope he is right.

Yup, and im not sure McCown will be much better in that sense. He has terrible pocket presence.

Hopefull this new ZBS catches on fast. Faine believes this line was made for it and I hope he is right.

The one thing I noticed about McCown's limited playing time is that he is highly coachable. Whenever he started, his first drive was immaculate. These first 8-10 plays are usually scripted and Luke responded to that extra coaching. His backup role limited his reps in practice, but as the starter we may see him play like that throughout the entire game... or at least significantly more.

Luke might surprise some people if he can improve his vision. He seems to hold onto the ball far too long, but Jagz might be able to correct that.

The new offense is not a WC, or spread. Jagz is a run first offense with playaction and deep routes as well as efficiency. We will see a ZBS OLine, RB tandem in Ward/Graham, and alot of dual TE sets with Winslow and Stevens.

So then y'all basically hired Dan Reeves as your OC?

I'LL RESERVE MY CRITICISM OF LEFTY. GUYS

LIKE THIS HAVE A HISTORY OF COMING BACK

TO BURN US. AND I GET THAT FEELING ABOUT

LEFTWICH. :mellow:

Very wise! :)

If Garthia was running for his life in a buccies uniform, I can't imagine what will happen to Lefty?

Thats jeffrey style, He would do that even if he wasn't pressured.