Heavyweight Boxing

When did every heavyweight boxer start looking like Mike Golic's "before" picture in his Nutisystem commercials? I just watched the Thrilla in Manilla documentary when heavyweight fighters actually looked like athletes, only to now be subjected to Chris Arreola and Jameel McCline. Look at that blubber fly.

When did every heavyweight boxer start looking like Mike Golic's "before" picture in his Nutisystem commercials? I just watched the Thrilla in Manilla documentary when heavyweight fighters actually looked like athletes, only to now be subjected to Chris Arreola and Jameel McCline. Look at that blubber fly.

The Heavyweight Division died when Lennox Lewis hung em up. Even then it was in a coma though..... -_-

Boxing still has it's place. There are plenty of great fights and fighters out there. Paul Williams vs Winky Wright tonight, Manny Paquaio vs Ricky Hatton in a few weeks. There just isn't much of a heavyweight division right now.

The future of the Heavyweight division is in Eastern Europe, and Russia right now. Hope we Americans can get back into it.

Boxing still has it's place. There are plenty of great fights and fighters out there. Paul Williams vs Winky Wright tonight, Manny Paquaio vs Ricky Hatton in a few weeks. There just isn't much of a heavyweight division right now.

there's a dearth of good MMA heavyweights too...seems like big guys are used to winning fights from their size and don't seem to be that great a fighter?

there's a dearth of good MMA heavyweights too...seems like big guys are used to winning fights from their size and don't seem to be that great a fighter?

The truth is that if you are an elite athlete and over 200 pounds now, you're in the NFL or NBA. Boxing and MMA are not attracting those elite athletes with size anymore.

MMA is making boxing obsolete. It's much more fun to watch and the fights are tons better too. Live, there's no comparison to boxing and the UFC.

There is plenty of room for both. Like I said before, there a plenty of great boxers at other weight classes. I have been ringside for both boxing and MMA numerous times and both are compelling when great fighters are involved.

MMA is making boxing obsolete. It's much more fun to watch and the fights are tons better too. Live, there's no comparison to boxing and the UFC.

Nothing will EVER make boxing obsolete. I love MMA but I've never witnessed an MMA fight that could compare with Leonard/Hearns or Ali/Frazier. Boxing has the ability to build emotion and have back and forth action that MMA usually doesn't create. Most of the time in MMA when one fighter gets a slight edge he has the ability to finish it due to the various methods of attack. In boxing all they can do is punch and thus you see more fighters who are in serious trouble be saved by the bell and actually turn things around later in the fight.

Like I said earlier I really enjoy MMA, but boxing has and will always have a place in the combat arena.