sorry for making another pettigrew thread but

SanFranMan

Ok we have needs at DT DE S LB TE and CB. DT being our biggest need. We have the 24th pick in the draft and it will probually come down to picking the 3rd rated defensive player at there position (other than safety) or the best TE in the draft by far. For me I will take pettigrew the only way I pass on pettigrew is if michael johnson falls to us. people keep saying they want a defensive playmaker at 24 but our offense will struggle if we don't do anything to help it out. Teams started to figure us out towards the end of the season. I hope I wasn't the only person to se that!!! If our season started today id take this d over last years in a heartbeat our defense is not that bad!!!!!

There is a difference between wanting to upgrade a position and having a glaring hole at a position. At TE we have 2 players who have shown they are capable starters. At DT/S we have glaring holes. Decoud is a possibility at S, but it would not be wise to assume he will pan out. At DT, Trey Lewis is a possibility if he stays healthy, but that still wouldn't fill the role of a true NT run stopper. Getting an LB is important because not only are we relying on a young back up to step in and start (Nicholas), but we have to plan for the future after Peterson.

Malarkey doesn't feature the TE in his offense, and there will be quality TEs available later in the draft. I also disagree that our "offense will struggle" if we don't upgrade the TE position. We have young, improving players on offense. They now have more experience in the system and Malarkey is known for throwing new wrinkles into the mix.

Notice I did not write anything bad about Pettigrew. He is legit. It is more about the need at TE vs. the need at other positions on our team.

There is a difference between wanting to upgrade a position and having a glaring hole at a position. At TE we have 2 players who have shown they are capable starters. At DT/S we have glaring holes. Decoud is a possibility at S, but it would not be wise to assume he will pan out. At DT, Trey Lewis is a possibility if he stays healthy, but that still wouldn't fill the role of a true NT run stopper. Getting an LB is important because not only are we relying on a young back up to step in and start (Nicholas), but we have to plan for the future after Peterson.

Malarkey doesn't feature the TE in his offense, and there will be quality TEs available later in the draft. I also disagree that our "offense will struggle" if we don't upgrade the TE position. We have young, improving players on offense. They now have more experience in the system and Malarkey is known for throwing new wrinkles into the mix.

Notice I did not write anything bad about Pettigrew. He is legit. It is more about the need at TE vs. the need at other positions on our team.

I agree here. I want us to defense in the 1st couple of rounds and then wait to get our future at TE till next year when Jermaine Gresham comes out

I just think that finding a replacement for Weiner (as a backup OT) is higher priority

than finding a TE who can block and catch for this offense.

And that the needs on defense are higher priority than an high round TE.

A TE in the late rounds to compete with Rader/Zinger for the #3 TE is OK

There are a couple of other good TEs in this draft but nearly all the talk has been about Pettigrew.

If he really is as good as everyone says, Will he really be there at #24?

Some say yes because other teams have other needs and he will still be there.

Well if other teams pass on him and draft for need, shouldn't the Falcons do the same and the need is defense.

Both TD and Smith said they will draft based on need and not best player available.

Is upgrading the TE a need? Yes

Is it the biggest need? No

So where does it fit in? Only they know

Ok we have needs at DT DE S LB TE and CB. DT being our biggest need. We have the 24th pick in the draft and it will probually come down to picking the 3rd rated defensive player at there position (other than safety) or the best TE in the draft by far. For me I will take pettigrew the only way I pass on pettigrew is if michael johnson falls to us. people keep saying they want a defensive playmaker at 24 but our offense will struggle if we don't do anything to help it out. Teams started to figure us out towards the end of the season. I hope I wasn't the only person to se that!!! If our season started today id take this d over last years in a heartbeat our defense is not that bad!!!!!

I agree that we might take him if Micheal Johnson is gone, even if Micheal Johnson and Larry English are still on the board he would still get heavy consideration at 24

A week or two ago, you would have definitely got flamed by me because of a couple things you said...

1.With taking BT with our first pick when there are some other solid TE's in the draft and our biggest need IS defense

2.micheal johnson. i would've said are you kidding me???? (ok never mind i still will say that now. he isn't worth the 24th)

I just think there are better defensive players other than him. But i must say pettigrew has been on my mind with that 24th pick

What has Michael Johnson done to warrant taking him at 24? Someone please tell me because he disappeared quite a bit in GT games.

Shown that he can put pressure on the QB, and that he is willing to be coached. Trust me JOhnson will be a first round pick.

Your right, that teams started to figure us out towards the end of the season, but Ryan was only givin a certain amount of plays and we started to repeat those plays over and over, which other teams started keying in on. This year there will be new plays with more experience along the line. And TE that is a good blocker is important to our system, but we may not need much more than that is why I don't believe we will draft a TE in the first round. just my opinion.

I don't really like the idea of spending a first round pick on a blocking TE or a DE that is "willing to learn." I want a starter who fills one of our big holes. Chauncey Davis is a quality starter at DE. I don't feel like DE is as big of a need as everyone else. If Davis is given the opportunity I think he'll be a solid 6-8 sack DE who also is good vs the run.

I just think that finding a replacement for Weiner (as a backup OT) is higher priority

than finding a TE who can block and catch for this offense.

And that the needs on defense are higher priority than an high round TE.

A TE in the late rounds to compete with Rader/Zinger for the #3 TE is OK

There are a couple of other good TEs in this draft but nearly all the talk has been about Pettigrew.

If he really is as good as everyone says, Will he really be there at #24?

Some say yes because other teams have other needs and he will still be there.

Well if other teams pass on him and draft for need, shouldn't the Falcons do the same and the need is defense.

Both TD and Smith said they will draft based on need and not best player available.

Is upgrading the TE a need? Yes

Is it the biggest need? No

So where does it fit in? Only they know

I agree.

Anytime you can get a 24 year old rookie player who assaults police officers and had 0 TD receptions his senior year in one of the worst defensive conferences in college football, I agree that you should do everything you can to draft him.

:rolleyes:

I still can't get over how he got 0 touchdowns and yet gets so much hype.

I don't really like the idea of spending a first round pick on a blocking TE or a DE that is "willing to learn." I want a starter who fills one of our big holes. Chauncey Davis is a quality starter at DE. I don't feel like DE is as big of a need as everyone else. If Davis is given the opportunity I think he'll be a solid 6-8 sack DE who also is good vs the run.

I agree, Davis could come in and be a quality starter for some time