Falcons exercising patience, optimism with DE Anderson

atljbo

Falcons exercising patience, optimism with DE Anderson

By Dan Parr

April 9, 2009

The Falcons shipped out one disappointing prospect from the 2007 draft this week, trading WR Laurent Robinson, a third-round pick, to the Rams, but they remain optimistic about another ’07 draft choice who has failed to live up to high expectations. DE Jamaal Anderson is under scrutiny after registering just two sacks in his 31 starts since being drafted eighth overall in ’07. Veteran evaluators say Anderson has been productive vs. the run and he’s doing a better job of using his hands to gain leverage after struggling with that concept early on, but he has not been the flashy pass rusher Atlanta was hoping for. Although he may never develop into the player he was billed as, we hear the Falcons like his versatility — he moves inside on passing downs — and will continue to be patient as he works on improving his pass-rush skills.

I agree with this.... Jamaal Anderson will not be that 10 sack a year guy that you guys want him to be but the guy does bring something good to our team..I agree with everybody wanting a all-around DE in the top 10 but we have what we have....The NFL has became a situational league....Jamaal Anderson bring us value at 2 postions ... We will draft a DE that can generate a pass rush (hopefully Michael Johnson)....

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isnt really calling him a bust

Yeah it is. He hasn't lived up to his expectations. Serving some limited role on a team doesn't really cut it. We got screwed. I just don't know why this needs to keep popping up regardless of there being a news story on it.

Laurent Robinson showed 10 times the ability to help this team in 20 career games than Anderson has in all 31 of his.

I think it is ridiculous to say 10 times the ability but his few flashes of potential and his low contract were why we could unload him. I doubt anyone would want to take JA with his contract.

wow they are saying he is a bust at his draft position, but he can still be a good player. its all good to me, since id rather have bust at draft position, than total bust at his position. I think we can all agree with that. also he might have been a one he might have been a one hit wonder in college, since he only had one huge sack machine year. mckay should have done his research, but i cant blame them, since most of the dline guys are looking like busts in that draft.

Another JA is a bust thread? How many of these do we need?

i dont think its a bust thing....... limited dont mean bust... thats like saying a in the box safety is a bust because covering is not his thing..... That does not mean bust.... it just means limited

I think it is ridiculous to say 10 times the ability but his few flashes of potential and his low contract were why we could unload him. I doubt anyone would want to take JA with his contract.

Yeah, good point....so the team is exercising the option to see if he pans out because no one will take him off our hands...that is the logical choice because he might come out swinging this TC, who knows?

i dont think its a bust thing....... limited dont mean bust... thats like saying a in the box safety is a bust because covering is not his thing..... That does not mean bust.... it just means limited

Limited at a #8 pick is a bust. We could have gotten limited in a much later round.

WOW I'm not sure what his expectations for himself were so not sure if he lived up to "his expectations," but pretty sure he is not where the Falcons would like him to be. Not sure bout anyone else but I personally didn't get screwed by us drafting JA to early or that he has not played like most think he should have. What I can say is he was properly drafted to high (not his fault)

If he doesn't do something this year he may not be here after that but only time and the Coaching Staff will make that choice.

WOW I'm not sure what his expectations for himself were so not sure if he lived up to "his expectations," but pretty sure he is not where the Falcons would like him to be. Not sure bout anyone else but I personally didn't get screwed by us drafting JA to early or that he has not played like most think he should have. What I can say is he was properly drafted to high (not his fault)

If he doesn't do something this year he may not be here after that but only time and the Coaching Staff will make that choice.

well look around at other Dline guys and it was not that much better.

Yeah, good point....so the team is exercising the option to see if he pans out because no one will take him off our hands...that is the logical choice because he might come out swinging this TC, who knows?

Well I have no idea what our cap situation is right now. Assuming we cut vick I am not sure if we can count the money he owes us back in or if we have to recover it first so I am not sure it is a good idea to cut JA all things considered.

Also JA has a great upside because he is excellent in the community and is likely to be a great role model. He could very well turn into the Dunn for the deaf community. So I do not mind if he stays on the team as long as he doesn't take a spot we really need even if he is a bust as a first rounder. We can't keep leaving him in on pass rushing situations though if he doesn't step up because it hurts the team.

It ain't Anderson's fault that Rich can't tell the difference between a 1st and a 3rd rounder.

His effort ain't lacking, so I can't bring myself to despise the kid.

it was him and the whole NFL bro. it was not tich fault. jamaal had a huge season. people thought he could only get better.

I know what his expections of himself were:

Displaying wisdom belying his youth, Jamaal Anderson folded himself into a too-small chair after the first minicamp practice of his new career and talked about a critical component of NFL life.

"Sacking the quarterback, that's what they pay you for at this level," said the Falcons' rookie defensive end, demonstrating that he is as quick at grasping the pragmatic nature of some NFL realities as he is at exploding past an offensive tackle. "Stopping the run, that's kind of a bonus, really. I mean, you want to do both, definitely. But getting a sack ... that's a special play."