Market vs. success

Wanbli

My post about Vick distraction garnered over 30 responses thanks. And, I received trolling and editorial and diction comments too. But the issue of market versus success is very evident.

The wall street money laundering and other spurious actions there is evident in the corporate world even in the NFL. The latest moves by some teams who have chosen market over success is upon us.

The Falcon high command which did not enter into the free agency free-for-all just lost another chance at Orlando Pace a huge Left tackle of immense proportions and wealth of pro-bowl experience--where's he going Chicago to team with Cutler. We play them I believe and if not will probably see them in the extended season if the Falcons survive.

Don't get me wrong I want to see the Falcons defy the odds again but with the high-command doing the marketibility shuffle and "hoping" to get their players through the draft is a long-shot at best.

Pace, OL, Cato June and Davis, LB's, maybe even a solid back-up QB like Garcia would be something because all f these guys have experience and can step right in and deliver for any team. There is no mystery here. The high command as found in the Broncos dismantling of that team demonstrates this attitude of market over success.

Teams that succeed are usually ripe with no name talent that the "experts" just didn't see.

Depending on dumb luck is not a quotient for real success and putting all your eggs in one basket, in this case Ryan's, is a worse case scenario. The more I read and see each day in the league the more I am convinced that market is the only real determinate factor not success or championships. Teams that win do so because they figure "how to win" and that begins with off-season and how one goes about such things as trades, wheeling and dealing and then backing up that with astute draft picks.

Truth is the Falcons miffed this one and shot themselves in the eg by letting go 5 starters if nothing Brooking could have taught rookies and second year players "how to play the game." Wouldn't it be better and smarter to keep some of these "old pros" then and add younger draft picks for next season?

Surround the old war horses with younger warriors and then move for more youth after enxt year. Ryan sophomore year is usually a rough experience and this would help him most I think.

Milloy (sp) could be an invaluable teacher of incoming talent. The receiver coup could use a three option maybe a TE but hey another WR with great speed could also remedy the lack of a TE for Ryan.

Where's my English teachers and soothsayers?

Success over market will always be the best market tool. The wall streeters model of greed and capitalism, which creates nothing but owns everything is not a sound model. The best models of success is the one that builds along the concept of community or in this case TEAM.

Teaching someone "how to play the game" is why we have coaches. I don't think we need too many over the hill players who think they have a shot at starting elsewhere sitting on the team soaking up cap money.

I think in the NFL unlike many other sports (like baseball) has the highest league parody. Do you think any Milwaukee Brewers fans really think they have a chance at the post-season? The same is true of some NBA teams. But in the NFL, the season is shorter, and therefore every game counts more, so I have to disagree that market is the true test of success.

And if those veterans are worth so much, why isn't everybody clamoring to get them on their team???

My post about Vick distraction garnered over 30 responses thanks. And, I received trolling and editorial and diction comments too. But the issue of market versus success is very evident.

The wall street money laundering and other spurious actions there is evident in the corporate world even in the NFL. The latest moves by some teams who have chosen market over success is upon us.

The Falcon high command which did not enter into the free agency free-for-all just lost another chance at Orlando Pace a huge Left tackle of immense proportions and wealth of pro-bowl experience--where's he going Chicago to team with Cutler. We play them I believe and if not will probably see them in the extended season if the Falcons survive.

Don't get me wrong I want to see the Falcons defy the odds again but with the high-command doing the marketibility shuffle and "hoping" to get their players through the draft is a long-shot at best.

Pace, OL, Cato June and Davis, LB's, maybe even a solid back-up QB like Garcia would be something because all f these guys have experience and can step right in and deliver for any team. There is no mystery here. The high command as found in the Broncos dismantling of that team demonstrates this attitude of market over success.

Teams that succeed are usually ripe with no name talent that the "experts" just didn't see.

Depending on dumb luck is not a quotient for real success and putting all your eggs in one basket, in this case Ryan's, is a worse case scenario. The more I read and see each day in the league the more I am convinced that market is the only real determinate factor not success or championships. Teams that win do so because they figure "how to win" and that begins with off-season and how one goes about such things as trades, wheeling and dealing and then backing up that with astute draft picks.

Truth is the Falcons miffed this one and shot themselves in the eg by letting go 5 starters if nothing Brooking could have taught rookies and second year players "how to play the game." Wouldn't it be better and smarter to keep some of these "old pros" then and add younger draft picks for next season?

Surround the old war horses with younger warriors and then move for more youth after enxt year. Ryan sophomore year is usually a rough experience and this would help him most I think.

Milloy (sp) could be an invaluable teacher of incoming talent. The receiver coup could use a three option maybe a TE but hey another WR with great speed could also remedy the lack of a TE for Ryan.

Where's my English teachers and soothsayers?

Success over market will always be the best market tool. The wall streeters model of greed and capitalism, which creates nothing but owns everything is not a sound model. The best models of success is the one that builds along the concept of community or in this case TEAM.

Let's face it Brooking, Milloy and Jackson while favorite players of mine,only had 1-2 years left anyway.Better to take the lumps now than to put off fast approaching end.Yes their leadership skills will be missed,but wouldn't it be better to have somebody else step up and grab the mantle of leader now. Boley didn't fit the scheme and Foxworth wanted too much money. The team needs to fiscally sound to have the flexiiblility to address the needs of the future

Teaching someone "how to play the game" is why we have coaches. I don't think we need too many over the hill players who think they have a shot at starting elsewhere sitting on the team soaking up cap money.

I think in the NFL unlike many other sports (like baseball) has the highest league parody. Do you think any Milwaukee Brewers fans really think they have a chance at the post-season? The same is true of some NBA teams. But in the NFL, the season is shorter, and therefore every game counts more, so I have to disagree that market is the true test of success.

And if those veterans are worth so much, why isn't everybody clamoring to get them on their team???

Baseball has no salary cap. The reason the Brewers don't have a chance is because they are not making smart personell moves. They were decent. The TB rays have one of the smallest payrolls and they went to the world series. The NBA is wide open. There are favorites but it is still wide open. THe NFL does have a shorter season so every game does count.

2009 Free Agent Market Value=Old Retreads, one year wonders who took 5 years to get there, and the unknown (does anybody have any game film of college or some home movies or something). 1) You don't pay a player to be a coach if he is not the best player on the field. 2) Best free agent "available". The best free agent available is rarely the best player but will expect to get paid like one. A lot of times these guys get hot in the market at the end of their contract and the one hit wonder bust factor results. 3) Picking up the unkown free agents is a risk just like the draftees but 4 to 5 years in the league probability is he is only a depth player.

Also check the thesaurus and get a new catch phrase for "high command". It sounds an awful lot like Young Tom, King Arthur, Matty Bust. Ya know, kind of trolly.