The Official Masters Discussion Thread

durrdbyrd

Here's the current leaderboard (as of 1 p.m. EST)

T1 T. Clark -4 18 -4 68

T1 R. Fisher -4 17 -4

T3 K. Sutherland -3 17 -3

T3 A. Cabrera -3 9 -3

T5 P. Marksaeng -2 17 -2

T5 N. Watney -2 14 -2

T5 M. Jimenez -2 14 -2

T5 S. Katayama -2 11 -2

T5 G. Norman -2 10 -2

T5 J. Rose -2 9 -2

T5 L. Mize -2 6 -2

T12 K. Duke -1 15 -1

T12 B. Langer -1 10 -1

T12 L. Westwood -1 10 -1

T12 H. Stenson -1 9 -1

T12 G. Ogilvy -1 9 -1

T12 P. Harrington -1 8 -1

T12 P. Mickelson -1 8 -1

T12 J. Furyk -1 8 -1

T12 O. Wilson -1 7 -1

T12 T. Hamilton -1 5 -1

T12 I. Poulter -1 5 -1

T12 G. Mcdowell -1 4 -1

T12 M. O'Meara -1 3 -1

T12 P. Perez -1 3 -1

T12 S. O'Hair -1 2 -1

T12 A. Romero -1 1 -1

T12 C. Campbell -1 1 -1

T29 S. Lyle E 18 E 72

T29 L. Oosthuizen E 17 E

T29 S. Ames E 12 E

T29 V. Singh E 9 E

T29 M. Weir E 9 E

T29 R. Imada E 8 E

T29 C. Villegas E 8 E

T29 S. Appleby E 7 E

T29 J. Merrick E 6 E

T29 D. Kittleson E 6 E

T29 S. Flesch E 5 E

T29 M. Goggin E 5 E

T29 T. Watson E 5 E

T29 A. Baddeley E 4 E

T29 D. Trahan E 3 E

T29 R. Mediate E 2 E

T29 S. Kjeldsen E 2 E

T29 R. Sterne E 2 E

T29 P. Casey E 1 E

T48 B. Baird +1 18 +1 73

T48 D. Hart +1 17 +1

T48 R. Sabbatini +1 13 +1

T48 S. Garcia +1 7 +1

T48 F. Couples +1 2 +1

T48 J. Newman +1 2 +1

T48 B. Weekley +1 1 +1

T55 I. Woosnam +2 18 +2 74

T55 C. Pettersson +2 17 +2

T55 R. Saxton +2 16 +2

T55 B. Curtis +2 14 +2

T55 D. Johnson +2 13 +2

T55 S. Hansen +2 11 +2

T55 E. Els +2 9 +2

T55 S. Wilson +2 5 +2

T55 B. Watson +2 4 +2

T64 C. Reavie +3 18 +3 75

T64 J. Leonard +3 16 +3

T64 G. Player +3 12 +3

T64 R. Goosen +3 11 +3

68 L. Donald +4 12 +4

T69 B. Mayfair +5 18 +5 77

T69 C. Stadler +5 13 +5

71 R. Floyd +6 16 +6

72 M. Campbell +7 15 +7

73 F. Zoeller +8 15 +8

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

durrd, where do the players stay during the tournament? I just heard about "The Crow's Nest." What is that? Do some of the players stay in hotels away from the course?

Many of them rent homes for the week. There are quite a few people in Augusta who get out of town and rent thier homes out and make a fortune.

The Crow's nest is just a few tiny rooms above the clubhouse where the Amatuer champions who are invited to play traditionally stay for the week. This tradition goes back to the days when amatuer player's couldn't afford to rent rooms.

Many of them rent homes for the week. There are quite a few people in Augusta who get out of town and rent thier homes out and make a fortune.

The Crow's nest is just a few tiny rooms above the clubhouse where the Amatuer champions who are invited to play traditionally stay for the week. This tradition goes back to the days when amatuer player's couldn't afford to rent rooms.

Cool. Thanks.

So where do you think a guy like Tiger or Phil stays?

Tiger usually rents a home in the area of a well respected and well funded businessman, or he used to. Same guy's house every year. It might have changed since the birth of Sam and now their newest addition.

Back to tourney talk, I'm going to venture to say Chad Campbell doesn't break par tomorrow. He's an up and down type of guy, and moving day is tomorrow. The names we expect to be at the top of the leaderboard will appear tomorrow, sans Sergio.

On a side note, anyone who's recently bought Taylor Made equipment needs to cheer for Sergio if they purchased it at Golfsmith. If he wins, you get a full refund.

Tiger usually rents a home in the area of a well respected and well funded businessman, or he used to. Same guy's house every year. It might have changed since the birth of Sam and now their newest addition.

Back to tourney talk, I'm going to venture to say Chad Campbell doesn't break par tomorrow. He's an up and down type of guy, and moving day is tomorrow. The names we expect to be at the top of the leaderboard will appear tomorrow, sans Sergio.

On a side note, anyone who's recently bought Taylor Made equipment needs to cheer for Sergio if they purchased it at Golfsmith. If he wins, you get a full refund.

Thanks.

And Campbell was looking good earlier, but has bogeyed a few holes now. Still has a 3 stroke lead, I believe.

Chad Campbell and Kenny Perry at the top of the leaderboard as we speak at 9-under. Story of the day, Anthony Kim set a Masters record by dropping 11 birdies and putting himself in contention going into the weekend.

Tiger is seven shots back at 2-under after shooting a 72 today. I wouldn't say he's out of it by any stretch but he just isn't putting well this week. But as we all know, if he figures it out on Moving Day (Saturday for those who don't know) then he becomes extremely dangerous on Sunday.

Hey why do they call it Amen Corner? I never heard the story. Can you enlighten me?

Herbert Warren Wind some years back coined the phrase in Sports Illustrated. It comes from an old jazz song "Shoutin' in that Amen Corner." Amen Corner is an old southern term for church. It's basically a way of saying that's where the critical action happens on Sunday ala at a church.

Tiger Update: Woods had a double-bogey on the first and is now +1 for the day and -1 for the tournament. He's still 8 shots back of the leaders, who will tee off later.

Camilo Villegas is -2 for the day and has moved into the thick of things at -4, 5 shots back of Campbell and Perry.

To me, there is no question that the winner of this tournament is coming out of the final pairing: Kenny Perry and Angel Cabrera. I can't help but think it's Perry's year. The man has been playing great over the past 6 months and he's been the most consistent this week.