Don't Rule out OT or OG

hakim24

It doesn't seem like TD is satisfied with Clabo and Dahl on the right side.

He gave them tenders instead of mid-long term contracts, and has brought in multiple guys to workout for us.

I think TD wants to finish what he started last year with our offense. We have a bunch of holes on Defense, but we already have somebody in the wings at most needs.

NT- Trey Lewis

S- Thomas DeCoud

OLB- Robert James, Stephen Nicholas, and Peterson

DE- Bierrman (Pass Rushing DE)

CB- Chevis Jackson.

I'm not saying we should neglect Defense, but these players are all capable of holding down a spot.

I'm one of those guys who ALWAYS neglects to look ahead into next year's draft, but There are some really good Senior Defensive prospects coming out. Because of that, I can say that next year's draft seems to be better than this year's. Just like this year's offensive weapons seem to be better than next year's as a whole.

If we finish our offense by getting a RT and TE this year, next year and future drafts can almost be solely for upgrading the Defense.

The BIGGEST plus about this plan is the possibility of finding a gem out of those names I listed on our roster now. If they don't work out this coming year, we have the ENTIRE 2010 draft to find somebody. Matt Ryan has his offense solidified for years and they can continue to grow through the entire process.

i dont think weve shown much interest in OT's or OG's that would go around #24. loadholt and robinson and alex mack (have we worked him out?) would be the closest to it and i think they are all poor values and investments at #24.

it seems to me that we are targeting a DE or an OLB at #24 given who we are working out and showing interest in. thats the direction i think we will end up going, and its why i have us getting larry english in my mock draft.

-Mr. Offseason

i dont think weve shown much interest in OT's or OG's that would go around #24. loadholt and robinson and alex mack (have we worked him out?) would be the closest to it and i think they are all poor values and investments at #24.

it seems to me that we are targeting a DE or an OLB at #24 given who we are working out and showing interest in. thats the direction i think we will end up going, and its why i have us getting larry english in my mock draft.

-Mr. Offseason

Maybe I shouldn't have put #24

I Really meant that it wouldn't surprise me if we attempted to finish our offense this year instead of "forcing" Defensive guys early in the draft.

You might disagree, but if we didn't make any trades, I could really see us using 2 out of our 3 top picks on offense because of who we have waiting in the wings on defense.

I'd love to trade down and pick up Duke Robinson with a 2nd rounder. He could start right away at RG and if we get a guy like Loadholt/Tupou in the 3rd, they can sit and learn for a year behind Clabo and take over in 2010. Then all we would need is a C, and we could get that too in this draft with a guy like Antoine Caldwell in the 4th. Without trade downs, we could have a line-heavy draft along the lines of:

1) Duke Robinson, OG (RG)

2) William Moore, S (SS)

3) Phil Loadholt, OT (RT)

4) Antoine Caldwell, C

5a) Lee Robinson, OLB (SLB)

5b) Bradley Fletcher, CB

6) Roy Miller, DT (NT)

i think loadholt will go in the mid 2nd round DB. i dont think theres any way he lasts to our 3. i dont think id really like that draft since i am not high on duke robinson at all, but it wouldnt be awful. spending 3 of our top 4 picks on OL is not something im wild about doing either, especially since the front 7 is completely ignored until round 5 and round 6. that is my main area of concern.

-Mr. Offseason

i think loadholt will go in the mid 2nd round DB. i dont think theres any way he lasts to our 3. i dont think id really like that draft since i am not high on duke robinson at all, but it wouldnt be awful. spending 3 of our top 4 picks on OL is not something im wild about doing either, especially since the front 7 is completely ignored until round 5 and round 6. that is my main area of concern.

-Mr. Offseason

I agree there are better scenarios for us, but I wouldn't mind completing our OL this year in the best OL draft in recent memory. I'm sure you know by now that I am not wowed by any DT prospect in this draft, and outside of the DEs that will be taken before us I don't really like any of them either (except for Kruger). I just don't see the sense in drafting a player just because he plays a position we need as opposed to drafting someone who we think can make a real impact at the position we draft him for. If Aaron Maybin falls to #24 - some have him Top 10, some have him in the 20s - then I think we need to take him. His ceiling and motor are unparalleled by the DEs in this draft. At DT we have Babs, Moorehead, Lewis, and Miller. I think Lewis will do pretty well in 2009 and Miller would be solid depth behind him and Babs proved he can play at a pretty high level. We can upgrade the D-line next year in a stacked DL class where we know we can get some game changers at both DT and DE. Also we have Peterson for two years and I think Nicholas will do ok for himself next season, plus we still have yet to see what Robert James is about. The reason why I am not opposed to the draft I just posted is because I see the future picture of:

LT - Baker

LG - Blalock

C - Caldwell

RG - Robinson

RT - Loadholt

...and I get a bit excited. Loadholt's value is hard to gauge. We all know he won't be drafted to play LT, so he will be drafted by a team who needs a RT and there are some RTs who are rated above him (Oher potentially, Britton, Meredith, and Cadogan and Tupou are in the mix as well plus they could potentially play LT).

Add in Moore who I think has Pro Bowl talent, Fletcher who could be a very good Cover 2 CB and can play man coverage well, Robinson who can take over SLB, and Miller who can help against the run and rotate with Lewis.

If we go offense in the 1st round I hope it is TE Brandon Pettigrew. Or if we go defense then let it be Louis Delmas or James Laurinaitis :)

But I think that we have some nice talent on our roster that can really make an impact this year. I don't think our defensive needs are as big as we think with those guys now stepping in

Looking at value and fit, I think that it will break down like this, for the first round:

If Offense: Brandon Pettigrew. He is an excellent blocker...good enough to stymie Orakpo in offseason workouts. And, he gives Ryan a reliable safety valve for third down conversions.

If Defense: DE, one of three prospects could fall to our pick. Michael Johnson, Robert Ayers or Larry English. The choice will depend on the fit that is targeted. Johnson if you want to set up Abraham's eventual replacement. Ayers, if you want to settle the LDE position. English, if you want a DE/OLB hybrid to go from 4-3 to 3-4 at will.

Looking at value and fit, I think that it will break down like this, for the first round:

If Offense: Brandon Pettigrew. He is an excellent blocker...good enough to stymie Orakpo in offseason workouts. And, he gives Ryan a reliable safety valve for third down conversions.

If Defense: DE, one of three prospects could fall to our pick. Michael Johnson, Robert Ayers or Larry English. The choice will depend on the fit that is targeted. Johnson if you want to set up Abraham's eventual replacement. Ayers, if you want to settle the LDE position. English, if you want a DE/OLB hybrid to go from 4-3 to 3-4 at will.

If we go DE in the 1st I hope it is Michael Johnson.

But I don't think we will go DE. I think that it will be LB, S or TE. They will give JA98 one more year and if he fails it is out. I believe that we could go DE in the later rounds for a situational pass rusher like Brandon Williams or Philip Hunt.

I wouldn't mind a DE in the 1st round though

I agree strongly that OLine is a distinct possibility and a definite need. The right side of our line is mediocre at best. Dahl is the weak link and if you watched carefully, you could see that our run offense was definitely biased towards the left--particularly at the beginning of the season when Baker was healthy.

Bringing in a RT would allow Clabo to move inside possibly strengthening both positions. A guard would simply upgrade that position and allow more success in the running game. Ball control would also help the defense stay fresh for an additional plus. Duke Robinson has been scheduled for a workout, by the way.

Some of the people we have shown an interest in indicate that there is some contingency planning being done by TD. We are looking at people who either will not be available at our current picks, or would be real reaches. We are preparing to have our boards ready in case we have a trade or two. While not predicting this, I would not be surprised if we do a trade or two on draft day [i would love to trade out of our first and pick up an 2nd and 3rd].

An OT is essential in this years draft.

I do like Pettigrew and his his Blocking abilities, but I feel that\position could wait

1 more year.

In the grand scheme of things, any Offensive player taken at 24 will be because

Mularky plans to leap frog the play book.

Also noteworthy, if Pettigrew slips past Philly and we pick him at 24, this alone

would be an indicator that Ryan may be far better a QB than we know.

But either way I want an Imposing OT at 24

I think it is possible, but if u want to go guard, you get the heck out of the first!!!!

there is good value for guards in the third, so yea, u trade down, pick up a high 2nd and 3rd for the 1st, draft a good OLB prospect, one of the safeties, a guard, a TE and a DT all with those picks... Now that is what im all about!

I highly doubt we will use our first pick on a lineman. Like you said we have wings in place on defense well we do on offense too. I think our FO likes Dahl and Clabo on the O line more than they do an old vet playing OLB (Peterson) and a young guy who has never started at OLB (Nicholas).

We have seen what Clabo and Dahl can do so there really isn't a big question mark about those 2 guys, but we don't know much about how Peterson or Nicholas will do. I don't think O line will be addressed early in this draft unless some guy falls or we trade.

The only OL that I could see being picked at #24 is Mack (not an OT or OG). I've been saying Mack could be the pick if all the LBs are gone.

There is no OG that would justify spending the #24 on.

IMO any OT that is left at #24 will be a reach. You never know, Oher could slip, but I doubt it. There are sveral good 3-4 round OTs to draft and develope this year.