Enough! How Many Games Will a First Round TE Help Us Win?

sporkdevil

Worth it?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would a first round TE help us anywhere near as much as a first round DE/DT/LB/S/CB?

• No way. A first rounder is way too much for a TE, at least for us right now.
    • YES! Ryan needs another target, and we will be unstoppable.
    • Sporkdevil only puts up polls after he's had a few.
    • Free Mick Vick.
    • Why trade Robinson?
    • Defense should always be first.
    • A mid round TE will accomplish everything we need.

Tired of this Pettigrew nonsense! How much will a TE improve our offense? Not much. Gotta love improvements, but is a small increase in offense thanks to a TE worth the 24th overall pick?

Shouldn't we be looking at defense with this pick? We need some impact players right now at plenty of positions, and some slow, 24 year old glorified WR who has a limited amount of TD's and has assaulted a cop is not what we need to dropping our first pick on.

OK, that might be a stretch. Glorified WR basically means average blocker.

Anyways, our defense needs improvement. It would be like picking up Alex Mack. We would get a really good player, who would likely be a franchise player, but wouldn't help us that much. A TE isn't going to win us games. A good DE or LB can. So vote! (You can pick multiple stupid answers).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11th in points allowed 24th in yards per game. Who cares about yards if they ain't scoring?

There's a reason I didn't mention that :lol: We had some really good stops last year.

Still. :ph34r: Back to the vote. (And how come the only vote that wasn't me was "Free Vick"? Not even an opinion on this? MULTIPLES PEOPLE! Free Vick AND Draft defense. I swear.)

There's a reason I didn't mention that :lol: We had some really good stops last year.

Still. :ph34r: Back to the vote. (And how come the only vote that wasn't me was "Free Vick"? Not even an opinion on this? MULTIPLES PEOPLE! Free Vick AND Draft defense. I swear.)

i mean it wasn't me.... :rolleyes:

he'd help us win all the games we would win because he'd be part of the team.

What? Is that the same way Jennings helped us win all those games last year before he was cut after the phantom muff call?

Maybe I should be clearer.

Will Pettigrew be that much of an improvement over Hartsock and Peelle? And will that improvement be enough to win us games? And more than a great defensive player.

And the "Free Mike Vick" option was a joke. I'm very disappointed it's tied for the lead. And I voted for the other ones in the lead. And me pointing this out will likely add votes to it. Remember, you get multiple picks! You can want Vick free, and not think a TE is a good idea for a first rounder! Just don't limit your potential. The potential of making bad picks on an online poll of a football forum.

i believe you have had a few sir. i like it though.you are on of the main staples of tatf.your work is appreciated.smoke 1

At least someone appreciates my late night whiskey fueled genius!

The same amount that a first round defensive player will :)

There are no ties in football. According to McNabb. But there are certainly NO TIES on TATF.

Im fine with taking Pettigerw in the 1st if they want to. That just saves us a pick later or next year early on one. It's gonna take more than just this year to build the team the way they want it so might as well take a stud now if available and grab a player like Mays, Berry, or Major Wright next year at safety. Maybe Gerald McCoy at DT. As long as it's a need and can be upgraded then im fine with the pick be it TE, DE, DT, or OLB.

Im fine with taking Pettigerw in the 1st if they want to. That just saves us a pick later or next year early on one. It's gonna take more than just this year to build the team the way they want it so might as well take a stud now if available and grab a player like Mays, Berry, or Major Wright next year at safety. Maybe Gerald McCoy at DT. As long as it's a need and can be upgraded then im fine with the pick be it TE, DE, DT, or OLB.

This is my argument:

Do we need the stud at TE?

And if we have so many holes on defense, can we fill them all in a year or two? If Trey Lewis doesn't work out (even though I think he will), and considering our DL rotation, we need at best 1 pass rusher, two DT's (one more UT and one more NT), one OLB (or maybe two. Peterson and Nichols, I have no idea if either will be our guy), a SS (we have none), a corner (not necessarily from the draft, we have loads of young corners), and.... maybe that's it.

On offense we need: a right tackle (not sure if Foster can be there the whole season, and even if he is, I want more depth over Ojinaka), maybe a guard, a center wouldn't hurt (but wouldn't need an early pick). The biggest issue is a TE, no question. Our OL was unusually solid last year. Our TE situation wasn't anywhere near as dire as our LB and S situation last year. Maybe a late round WR because of Robinson, but nothing really needed.

The TE position should be after: DE, DT, LB, SS, and OT. I believe we are drafting on need. Despite our attempts to grab the pass catching TE through trades (Gonzo) and FA (Pollard and Radar... with mixed results), I think we need to go for the better defense.

I agree that a TE really is just NOT a concern. You wanna spend all that money to get better in a way that we dont need as much as defense. I wanna spend money on the other side we its needed. We have PLENTY weapons on offense- a first rd TE might even throw things off. A TE in the 3rd, 4th can acomplish ALL the same things.

love the whiskey rants!!! great poll. whats so great about it, it said almost none of the selections have anything to do with each other!!

11th in points allowed 24th in yards per game. Who cares about yards if they ain't scoring?

Yep but time of poessesion and teams don't have to score alot if they hold onto the ball run the clock how do we win.

Hence why that yards against the run scares the Sh*t out of me.

We will be better with him. He will not come out on run plays so the defense will always have to keep an eye on him. Maybe one more game but that could have got us home field advantage. Remember when that tight end fumbled on the 1 yard line...

Doesn't matter though we will be great regardless.

I don't think a TE is necesary in the 1st round. Even though I like BP I would love going defense with a guy like Delmas or Laurinaitis. I say we go defense this year and then next year maybe get Jermaine Gresham

Agreed. Something tells me we might reach a little in the first for our biggest need: DT or S in the first. i would rather trade down but if not, I wouldn't mind picking Delmas or a DT like Ziggy or Ron Brace. PPL said we reached for Baker last year, and he was very good, when healthy.

I find it strange that the Falcons MUST get Pettigrew because he is the BEST and you only have a shot at him in round 1.

But any old defensive tackle in later rounds will do.

If only the Best TE why not only the Best DT??? Which you will only get a shot at in round 1

Which is more needed ?? Last year Hartsock got hurt and luckily they found Peelle.

OK at DT Babs 284 and Moorehead 299 rotated at UT

But at the "NT" there is now T. Lewis 323 a drop of over 20 from Gravy

then J Jefferson at 295, T Johnson at 305 and T Myles at 305

They have adequate TEs now (judging from last season) and Pettigrew would be an upgrade to better.

BUT can you say they have adequate "NT" now I think not and an upgrade is need to move from POOR to Adequate.

Pettigrew would be NICE to get but a good DT is NEEDED

What? Is that the same way Jennings helped us win all those games last year before he was cut after the phantom muff call?

Maybe I should be clearer.

Will Pettigrew be that much of an improvement over Hartsock and Peelle? And will that improvement be enough to win us games? And more than a great defensive player.

And the "Free Mike Vick" option was a joke. I'm very disappointed it's tied for the lead. And I voted for the other ones in the lead. And me pointing this out will likely add votes to it. Remember, you get multiple picks! You can want Vick free, and not think a TE is a good idea for a first rounder! Just don't limit your potential. The potential of making bad picks on an online poll of a football forum.

it was a joke because this is a joke topic. but yes, Jennings contributed/helped us in all our wins, whether it was positively or negatively.