Pondering the TE Situation

Beezy

April 8, 2009 6:22 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

Here's a little ammunition for all those who think the Atlanta Falcons should take Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew with the 24th pick in the upcoming draft.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Falcons gained only 211 yards on passes to tight ends last season. That ranked last in the NFL.

Here's a quick look at the five lowest teams in that category.

Falcons 211

Cardinals 237

Patriots 302

Bengals 360

Rams 382

That said, I still don't see the Falcons taking Pettigrew. They have bigger needs on defense (linebacker, defensive tackle, defensive end, safety and maybe even cornerback). Also, I don't see offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey changing his system so dramatically that there suddenly will be a need for a tight end to catch 60 or 70 balls.

But the Falcons do recognize the only toy quarterback Matt Ryan doesn't have is a tight end who can catch some passes. I'm thinking there's a strong chance the Falcons could draft a tight end any time after the first round. Missouri's Chase Coffman and South Carolina's Jared Cook could be possibilities if they last until the Falcons pick in the second round.

I think someone like Florida's Cornelius Ingram or Wisconsin's Travis Beckum could be very real possibilities in the middle rounds. Give Ryan somebody like that and you'll probably get 25 or 30 catches and a pretty safe bet that the Falcons won't rank last in this category again.

I could easily see taking Pettigrew and wouldn't have a problem with it. This is more than a 1 year complete team fix so if they can get a good top notch TE now then go for it. Saves our 1st round pick next year for the elite safety's coming out.

I agree...... as much as I disliked this pick months ago, it is starting to make more sense. If he is there, I say we sign him up.

What happened to everybody hating him due to "character concerns" and not passing the "falcons filter" lol.

And anybody else feel slightly uncomfortable with living human beings being referred to as "toys" for Matt Ryan to "play with" ?

Haha :lol:

Thought about that to when I read it. Made me uncomfortable xD

Pettigrew is s-l-o-w and has character issues. Why spend a 1st rd pick on somebody like this when you can get Purvis in later rounds and he is somebody that Ryan already knows very very well.

I like Pettigrew, but am starting to think Ingram in later rounds is better value.

A good blocking/receiving TE helps extend and finish drives, increasing time of possession and thus

improving defensive numbers

i dont understand why some think we should draft a TE in the 1st... Why pay a TE first round money when he isnt a major player in our O, it just doesnt make sense. im not against getting a TE but not in round one. we have HUGE holes on the other side starting at LB then DT ect.. if we pick a TE in the first then i will lose faith in our FO. any football mind can see our holes arent on O and we need a game changer with our first round pick.

man, i hate the combine and pro days and all that hype. 2 months ago, pettigrew was a 2nd-3rd round steal...now we can only get him with our first pick <_<

Where do you get your information? Pettigrew has been a first round pick since this draft class has been discussed.

Pettigrew is s-l-o-w and has character issues. Why spend a 1st rd pick on somebody like this when you can get Purvis in later rounds and he is somebody that Ryan already knows very very well.

if pettigrew is slow so is kevin boss and zach miller. feel free to look up their stats. and there is a reason pettigrew is ranked so much higher than purvis. ryan also knew tony gonzalez from BC really well but that doesn't mean he's better than harry douglas.

Where do you get your information? Pettigrew has been a first round pick since this draft class has been discussed.

yes he has. he was considered a late first until gresham pulled out. then he was considered a 10-20 pick until the combine. now he's considered a guy that'll go mid 20's- early 2nd round.

We will draft DL with the first pick. Period . This team is set up to run the ball, and stop the run. If you noticed stopping the run was not one of our strong points last year. Our offense is Good the way it is, not great but good. Our defense was not so good even with all the guys we let go. That said we will go after someone to help stop the run in the first round. A TE can be had later in the drat or after june 1 cuts. Theres no way we go offense with the first pick..........

im all about drafting the best avail. player and if the falcons believe that is pettigrew then lets draft him however with that said i am not a huge pettigrew fan. i feel we have te's that can do what he does, i would much rather a rec. te like ingram who i believe will be the best te from this draft class.

Sorry guys but I have had along hard think about this and we really need to get our Defense soughted with alot of our draft picks and I just don't think we are in that desperate need of TE this early so I'll be real disappointed if we go TE at 24.I to went and had a look back at his combine footage and he ran a real slow 40,I reckon Evander Hood would have gone close and he's a 300 pounder no TE at 24 please MS and TD don't do it.

This a Cross Posting Route:

I do not like a TE in the First Round either, but here ya go.

" Tony Gonzalez, who joined the Kansas City Chiefs as a first-round pick in 1997, is one of the very best tight ends in the NFL. He is arguably one of the greatest to ever play the game. In 2008, he led all NFL tight ends with 96 receptions for 1,058 yards and 10 touchdowns. And all the Chiefs had to show for it was a 2-14 record, putting them in a tie with the St. Louis Rams for second-worst in the NFL behind the 0-16 Detroit Lions."

While I do not know the Stats on 1st round TE's, the above quote is what makes Pettigrew a prized, late first

round pick.

It took Gonzalez the better part of 5 years to become a good blocker.

This is what made him a HOFer

"South Carolina's Jared Cook also is viewed as a tight end worthy of a first-round pick, almost exclusively

because of his immense talent as a receiver."

Again we have the Blocking Issue.

Will it take the better part of 5 years for Cook to become a Good Bllocker in the NFL?

Enter Pettigrew, Solid Blocking skills, great hands, gifted foot work, and great instincts

on getting himself open.

Also has Long arms which gives the QB a large zone to deliver the ball into.

The more I learn about Pettigrew the one question that just keeps coming on is this.

How do you NOT draft Pettigrew in the First?

My thing is - unless we can get a 3 down TE - why bother at all?

We have Hartsock as an excellent blocker - but who doesn't catch at all really.Peele can block a little and catch a little - and is cheap. Any low round TE only really offers depth in both the short and medium term.

Our scheme values blocking from the TE more than receiving, so people like Cook (who is an over sized WR) would be a complete waste of time. No one apart from Pettigrew (e.g. Nelson, Ingram etc.) is going to be ready to be a 3 down TE for at least 2 years, as they need to train up to be an NFL caliber blocker.

Whereas, if we had someone who can offer a legitimate target (maybe not stretching the field, but moving the chains and in the red zone) AS WELL AS being a blocker as good as anyone else we can put out there, that is an upgrade. It also avoids tipping our hand on 3rd and 3 type of downs.

The only person who can do this before the 2011 season is Pettigrew, and why he is an option at #24. He wouldn't be top of my draft board, but if players above him are gone, he represents value.