'Rebuilding' I just a euphemism for 'we suck'...

Mr. Right

What does rebuilding mean?

Rebuilding normally occurs when a team had a devastating previous season and needs to be reconstructed from the ground up. This normally includes drafting new players and cutting old ones. Rebuilding is often a long and painful process, and good results generally take time to appear.

Rebuilding is often considered to be a good thing. It signifies a new start. It signifies new hope. And it also means that tomorrow is brighter than yesterday.

But then again - where is the fine line between rebuilding as an actual process and rebuilding as an excuse for being bad? I mean when have we not been rebuilding because it seems like every offseason we rebuild. Do we just toss this word around because it makes us feel better - because we can always hope and dream of tomorrow? Or are we actually rebuilding?

And if we are actually rebuilding, when does the process stop? When we have back to back winning seasons? Consecutive playoff appearances? Or a championship ring? Because we have been 'rebuilding' for quite a while and have yet to meet one of those benchmarks.

Discuss.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebuilding normally occurs when a team had a devastating previous season and needs to be reconstructed from the ground up. This normally includes drafting new players and cutting old ones. Rebuilding is often a long and painful process, and good results generally take time to appear.

Rebuilding is often considered to be a good thing. It signifies a new start. It signifies new hope. And it also means that tomorrow is brighter than yesterday.

But then again - where is the fine line between rebuilding as an actual process and rebuilding as an excuse for being bad? I mean when have we not been rebuilding because it seems like every offseason we rebuild. Do we just toss this word around because it makes us feel better - because we can always hope and dream of tomorrow? Or are we actually rebuilding?

And if we are actually rebuilding, when does the process stop? When we have back to back winning seasons? Consecutive playoff appearances? Or a championship ring? Because we have been 'rebuilding' for quite a while and have yet to meet one of those benchmarks.

Discuss.

Rebuilding for us did start after a devastating season. Thing is, its not a one year project. You wouldnt want it to be a one year project because then you are limiting what you have to work with. We say we are "rebuilding" still because despite the fact we did so well last season, we want more-particularly on defense. Regardless of record, I think the term rebuilding for us applies to a time just after 2007 ended to probably 2010 or so....even if we win the superbowl in that time.

I think what get teams into trouble in this area is that since turnarounds can happen so fast, teams get good again and then stop building and fall right back to where they were

Discuss.

I would agree with you in regards to the lengthy time we have been rebuilding, but I dont ever think it has been a euphemism for we suck tbh. They way I see it, we have seen our fair share of fake entrepreneurs (fx Petrino), who claimed that they had the vision, overview and ability to turn the franchise into a contender. As a consequence the Falcons franchise have sailed without any real heading for a long time.

The good thing is that Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff seems to be headed in the right direction. They have been succesful in purging the roster of players that performed badly, were disgruntled or had character issues while also changing the mentality of the team. Something that Petrino and Mora failed to do. They were treating the symptoms instead of the actual disease, so to speak.

I for one think we are rebuilding, with a firm heading and a belief that the Falcons is supposed to be a contender every year.

Rebuilding for us did start after a devastating season. Thing is, its not a one year project. You wouldnt want it to be a one year project because then you are limiting what you have to work with. We say we are "rebuilding" still because despite the fact we did so well last season, we want more-particularly on defense. Regardless of record, I think the term rebuilding for us applies to a time just after 2007 ended to probably 2010 or so....even if we win the superbowl in that time.

I think what get teams into trouble in this area is that since turnarounds can happen so fast, teams get good again and then stop building and fall right back to where they were

I agree, but were we ever that good to begin with? Would you say we stopped rebuilding in 1998? I sometimes get a feeling that we stopped and felt good about ourselfs ie never raised the bar.

I would agree with you in regards to the lengthy time we have been rebuilding, but I dont ever think it has been a euphemism for we suck tbh. They way I see it, we have seen our fair share of fake entrepreneurs (fx Petrino), who claimed that they had the vision, overview and ability to turn the franchise into a contender. As a consequence the Falcons franchise have sailed without any real heading for a long time.

The good thing is that Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff seems to be headed in the right direction. They have been succesful in purging the roster of players that performed badly, were disgruntled or had character issues while also changing the mentality of the team. Something that Petrino and Mora failed to do. They were treating the symptoms instead of the actual disease, so to speak.

I for one think we are rebuilding, with a firm heading and a belief that the Falcons is supposed to be a contender every year.

I wouldn't say we've been rebuilding for a lengthy time at all. I think a normal rebuilding time frame would 2-3 years. Its only been 1 for us

I wouldn't say we've been rebuilding for a lengthy time at all. I think a normal rebuilding time frame would 2-3 years. Its only been 1 for us

Well I just dont think we lived up to our potential (reaching a superbowl), since 98. If that performance was the baseline for how we should perform every season, how would you rate our team from 98 to now?

Its been one year under Dimitroff and Smith and apart from our earlier coaches, they seem to be the only ones rebuilding from the bottom up. Thats why I think we have been more or less in a rebuilding mode, for a fair amount of time.

Well I just dont think we lived up to our potential (reaching a superbowl), since 98. If that performance was the baseline for how we should perform every season, how would you rate our team from 98 to now?

Its been one year under Dimitroff and Smith and apart from our earlier coaches, they seem to be the only ones rebuilding from the bottom up. Thats why I think we have been more or less in a rebuilding mode, for a fair amount of time.

I look at a rebuilding project as a sort of a plan. I would agree with you that we have been in "rebuilding mode" for a long time but I also don't think the plan post 1999 was to fire dan reeves, go through vick, fire mora, hire mckay, push him aside and bring in TD...etc...so I look at like we've been on multiple projects or plans since and the current rebuilding phase has been a year. Hence my expectations aren't as high and demanding as if say we were still under the mora/mckay administration. I be PISSED we were going nowhere and still had them!

Discuss.

Rebuilding, at best, a 2-3 year project.

Generally, when you fire your coach, you're rebuilding.

2004-06: Mora came in and wasn't taking us anywhere

2007: Petrino came in, and along with Vick; destroyed the place

2008: Mike Smith comes in with TD, and turns this ship in the right direction

So, we started rebuilding in 2004. We built the wrong way, and stated to rebuild again in 2007. Petrino jumped ship, and we had to completely rebuild in 2008. Now, we are only 1/3 through the rebuilding process. It's over in year 3, that's when we should be a powerhouse team that consistently makes it to the play-offs, and is a threat to win it all.

Discuss.

2nd youngest team in the league, patience young grasshopper, we will be playoff juggernauts for years and years to come, just you wait

With every new regime, they are allowed to "rebuild" as they see fit. It doesn't matter how many times we have been "rebuilding" in the past, the past failures cannot be blamed on current managers/coaches.

Dimitroff says 3 years, our impatient butts looked at last year as the end of the "process" while the expert who brought us that season looks at it as a nice beginning.

I think I'll go with the guy who made the right decisions on head coach, free agent runningback, franchise quarterback, franchise left tackle,middle linebacker, wide receiver, and possibly DE and FS.

With every new regime, they are allowed to "rebuild" as they see fit. It doesn't matter how many times we have been "rebuilding" in the past, the past failures cannot be blamed on current managers/coaches.

Dimitroff says 3 years, our impatient butts looked at last year as the end of the "process" while the expert who brought us that season looks at it as a nice beginning.

I think I'll go with the guy who made the right decisions on head coach, free agent runningback, franchise quarterback, franchise left tackle,middle linebacker, wide receiver, and possibly DE and FS.

Well said....

Rebuilding (def.- making strides to improve): Falcons, Dolphins, Bears, 49ers

Rebuilding (def.- team perenially sucks): Raiders, Bills, Bengals, Chiefs

Difference is that ATL has a plan that goes beyond just signing this year's marquee guy (vet or rookie). Falcons are on a course to steadily improve and be contenders for several years.

Discuss.

Why rush the process? Would you rather have a Dynasty or one great season. We have a great thing going right now! There are so many factors that we have to look at and so much talent to evaluate. If you can't get the player you want this year..... there will be more players (FA and Draft) the next year. As much as I would like the Falcons to just dump money and pick up the best players..... I am more excited about what is to come! There is no doubt in my mind the FO is thinking the same "Dynasty"...... that will get the Falcons remembered! GO FALCONS!

I agree, but were we ever that good to begin with? Would you say we stopped rebuilding in 1998? I sometimes get a feeling that we stopped and felt good about ourselfs ie never raised the bar.

I don't know how long you have been a fan, but the team was under different ownership in 98, and that is just a faint memory for most. Blank has since taken over, and although his moves have not always been the right ones, he has done considerably more to put a better product out there. in his short time as owner he has given us a lot to cheer about. The Smith's could not care less when they owned the team. AB has actually spent money and has tried to get us the best personnel he could. Yes, this team really stunk it up prior to Blank. At least with Blank, I like many other long time fans, feel certain that we will become one of the better franchises one day. If we are rebuilding for years at a time, then so be it. At least we are giving it the right efforts.

Why rush the process? Would you rather have a Dynasty or one great season. We have a great thing going right now! There are so many factors that we have to look at and so much talent to evaluate. If you can't get the player you want this year..... there will be more players (FA and Draft) the next year. As much as I would like the Falcons to just dump money and pick up the best players..... I am more excited about what is to come! There is no doubt in my mind the FO is thinking the same "Dynasty"...... that will get the Falcons remembered! GO FALCONS!

No one i saying we should rush the process, but the question is, when will the process be over? Is this 11-5 start just another one of the many good starts we've had that ended without a championship? When will rebuilding actually turn into something?

Discuss.

Welcome to the board! Now, going from 4-12 to 11-5 in one year with new leadership speaks for itself. No excuses required.

Discuss.

Exactly who is "we"? The Panthers?

Are you a Panthers or a Bucs fan?

I don't know how long you have been a fan, but the team was under different ownership in 98, and that is just a faint memory for most. Blank has since taken over, and although his moves have not always been the right ones, he has done considerably more to put a better product out there. in his short time as owner he has given us a lot to cheer about. The Smith's could not care less when they owned the team. AB has actually spent money and has tried to get us the best personnel he could. Yes, this team really stunk it up prior to Blank. At least with Blank, I like many other long time fans, feel certain that we will become one of the better franchises one day. If we are rebuilding for years at a time, then so be it. At least we are giving it the right efforts.

I must admit that my point of view wasnt affected by who had ownership, but since you bring it up its my firm belief that Blank has also gotten smarter in the process. Im not gonna argue with you, since my fanhood (is that really a word?) only go back to 1998 and even back then, being from Europe, I didnt give a flying monkeybutt as to who was the owner tbh as it was an all new sport to me. I do think that Blank made some decisions that put the team progress on hold, but luckily it wasnt a permanent hold. I would say that last season is a testament to the fact that his learning curve in regards to smart football moves has done nothing but skyrocket :)

Arthur Blank is on the brink to become one of the better owners in the NFL. His mere presense demands respect and he clearly know what he is talking about. I would have added an interview from a show on NFL.com but I couldnt find it. I believe it had Brian Billick, Adam Schefter and Rich Eisen as interviewers.. they were at a stadium. I really listened to what he had to say, since it was clear he knew what was going on with his buisness.