Boykin's jumping ability impresses.

SacFalcFan

Brandon Boykin is working to establish that he's a cornerback ready to hold his ground in the Southeastern Conference. The Georgia sophomore already is impressing teammates with the way he gets off the ground.

"You wouldn't believe how that kid could jump," quarterback Joe Cox said.

Cox pointed out a fade to Tavarres King that both players went up to get in Saturday's scrimmage.

"It was like Boykin was 7 feet off the ground," Cox said. "He's definitely one of those freak-athlete-type guys that's super strong, fast, quick and can jump. He's definitely a guy that's going to be a big-time playmaker in the secondary."

Wide receiver A.J. Green claimed that Boykin had a vertical jump of about 42 inches, tops on the team when players were tested a couple of weeks ago. That would have ranked third among cornerbacks at the NFL combine this year.

"You ought to see him on the basketball court going up and dunking over people," Green said. "It's amazing how a person his size can get up so high."

The 5-foot-10, 186-pound Boykin is playing opposite senior Prince Miller at the boundary corner, a position that coach Mark Richt said is demanding because a player has to sometimes shed blocks to get in the box to make a tackle.

"I definitely think I'm making strides," Boykin said. "I think me and Prince are getting a lot more camaraderie with each other, how each other plays."

Boykin said he had about three interceptions in practice through two scrimmages, but has also dropped a couple. The Fayette County native is trying this spring to fill the void left by the departure of Asher Allen to the NFL.

"I wouldn't call it a dropoff," Miller said. "They're two totally different players. Asher is a very physical guy. Brandon is very athletic."

Durham ailing, Green back to full strength

For the first time since last summer, Green says the groin that had bothered him feels 100 percent. Now another Georgia receiver is out for at least the rest of the spring with his own injury

Senior Kris Durham, limited with a left shoulder injury for nearly two weeks, might undergo surgery, Richt said.

"I've just got to talk it over with everybody and see what the best decision is," Durham said.

Durham said he did not know the extent of the injury or how long surgery could sideline him.

Cold weather practice

Georgia practiced in shorts on Monday, but the weather was more suitable for a warm jacket.

"I wore some long johns and I layered up a little bit and it didn't help," Richt said.

Despite the temperature at 48 degrees (that felt like 41) with winds gusting to up to 31 mph, Richt said the quarterbacks still did a "pretty good job" throwing.

This and that

Safety Bryan Evans sustained a concussion in Saturday's scrimmage, but could return Wednesday. ...Tailback Dontavius Jackson (knee) practiced fully for the first time this spring. Tailback Kalvin Daniels (shoulder) also returned. ...Safety Bacarri Rambo, who sustained an MCL sprain last week, could play in Saturday's G-Day game. Linebacker Akeem Hebron (ankle) and safety Quintin Banks (knee) won't.