Counting down to G-Day …

SacFalcFan

Athens – Georgia’s spring football practice is down to its final days – a Wednesday practice, a Friday practice, then the G-Day game on Saturday. That’s it.

There was ominous word Monday that rising senior split end Kris Durham has a shoulder injury that might – repeat: might – require surgery. Durham is listed No. 1 on the depth chart at split end, and with the Dogs already facing the considerable task of replacing NFL-bound Mohamed Massaquoi, they can hardly afford a major injury at the position.

Durham didn’t seem to know – or want to say – what to make of his injury at this point. He said he’s waiting to find out the diagnosis and will talk to coaches and others to evaluate the information and decide what to do. Mark Richt said the shoulder might be handled with rehab or might require surgery – “I don’t know for certain what’s going to happen.”

One thing for certain: You won’t see Durham on the field in the G-Day game.

You will see A.J. Green, and in more places than last year.

“I’m learning different sides. I’m sometimes on the short side. I’m in the slot sometimes,” the SEC’s leading receiver of 2008 said Monday. “I’m trying to extend my game to help me out and help my team.”

You’ll also probably get a glimpse of Fred Munzenmaier, the backup fullback the past two seasons, carrying the ball at tailback. He’s intrigued the coaches in recent practices at the position, and Richt expects him to get some tailback carries on G-Day.

Don’t look for any Knowshon-type vaults from Munzenmaier, of course. He shied away from the mention Monday that he’s playing – at least briefly – Moreno’s old position. “I’ve attempted to dive before,” Munzenmaier said, laughing, “but it’s only when people are rolling on the ground. I don’t have ups, as they would say.”

With just two spring practices and the G-Day game to go, it’s obvious many questions will linger into summer. Injuries at tailback and defensive end have made it impossible to sort out those two very fluid positions. And the receiving corps (aside from A.J.) remains in flux, pending word on Durham’s shoulder and the summer arrival of highly hyped signee Marlon Brown. Meanwhile, it’ll be interesting on G-Day to watch receivers Michael Moore (29 catches last year, six of them in the bowl) and Tavarres King (impressive this spring, according to teammates).

So . . . what will you be most interested to glean from G-Day?