theProf’s first mock draft of this season

theProf

1. LB Clay Mathews (alternative LBs: Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing, James Lauranaitis)

I like everything about Mathews, from his bloodlines to his tremendous determination and work ethic. He could be a starting OLB from the very first of the season. Mathews should also improve the Falcons pass rush being that he had 4.5 sacks last season and has played some DE at USC. At least one of the three USC LBs, as well as Lauranaitis, should still be available when Atlanta picks in the first round. Some mock drafts even include OLB Clint Sintim as a possible first round selection for Atlanta, although I think Sintim is more of a second-rounder than a first.

2. S William Moore (alternative Ss: Louis Delmas, Patrick Chung, Rashad Johnson)

Delmas will probably be the first safety selected and not available at this pick. If Moore is the first safety selected, then Delmas might be available at this pick. Moore displays the combination FS/SS that the Falcons appear to desire for their Cover 2 scheme. He has played both FS and SS during the last two seasons at Mizzoo. Moore showed play-making ability as a FS with 8 interceptions in one season, as well as good cover skills. He is a big hitter who can also play in the box and support the run as a SS.

3. CB Mike Mickens (alternative CBs: Asher Allen, Sherrod Martin, Bradley Fletcher)

Atlanta needs another CB to compete for a starting position. Mickens is a very good cover corner with good ball skills to help compensate for Houston’s rather weak ball skills. He had 14 picks and 44 pass breakups in his college career. Mickens is rather tall with long arms to battle the taller WRs. Agressive and supports the run well. According to a scouting report: "Reads the action quickly and gets an excellent break on the ball. … Cognizant defender. … Experienced in man and zone coverage with the combination of athleticism and instincts to play in either scheme at the next level. … Has a second gear to close and uses his long arms well to deflect passes."

4. OT TJ Lang (alternative OTs: Joel Bell, Andrew Gardner)

With the retirement of Weiner, Atlanta is very thin at the OT position. Lang is the type of physical, aggressive, and strong lineman that Atlanta seems to prefer for its power running game. Lang started out as a defensive lineman, but has started at both Right and Left Offensive Tackles the past three seasons at Eastern Michigan. He has a nasty streak and starter potential according to one scouting report. From a scouting report: "Positives: Good height with thick and strong upper and lower bodies. Absolute mauler who works hard on - and through - every play. Versatile enough to start at all three interior spots. Gets down quickly and is effective on cut blocks. Strong enough to stone and pancake his opponent. Fires out of his stance and uses his hands well on run plays; gets inside his man's jersey and doesn't let go. Punches and extends his arms to hold off defenders in pass protection. Good enough feet to get to linebackers, pull and trap. Aware enough to help the tackle and center on the same play. Hustles downfield on screens and reverses to throw the late block."

5.[a] DE Phillip Hunt (alternative DE: Julius Williams)

Atlanta needs a pass-rushing DE to compliment Abe. Hunt had 32.5 Sacks and 48.5 TFLs during his last three seasons at the University of Houston. Hunt has shown improvement each season, culminating with 14 sacks and 18.5 TFLs in his latest season as a Senior. He dropped some weight from 260 down to 244 for his pro day and went through LB type drills for the scouts. From a scouting report: “This undersized but strong, hustling rush end put a hurt on Conference USA opponents in his four years in Houston. Hunt lined up at tackle, end and linebacker, and scouts like his versatility. He was twice a first-team All-CUSA pick, accumulating 107 tackles, 36.5 for loss, 25 sacks and five forced fumbles in his junior and senior seasons. In 2008 he was C-USA's Defensive Player of the Year.

5. DT Roy Miller (alternative DTs: Myron Pryor, Sammie Lee Hill)

Very strong and stout at the point. However, NT Miller can also get good penetration as evidenced by his 5.5 Sacks and 11.5 TFLs during his last season at Texas. From a scouting report: “Short, squatty frame. … Good lower-leg drive and use of leverage to hold up as a nose guard. … Can anchor against the double-team and create a pile. … Flashes some initial and lateral quickness as a pass rusher. … Quick hands and impressive upper-body strength to disengage from blocks and make tackles at the point of attack. … Flashes some explosiveness as a hitter. … High-effort player who will pursue down the line. … Physical player who has value as a short-yardage fullback or wedge-buster on special teams. … Helped himself with solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game.

6. TE Ryan Purvis (alternative TE: Bear Pascoe)

Atlanta is still seeking a good pass-catching TE. In Purvis’s last season playing with Matt Ryan at BC, he caught over 50 passes for over 500 yards and 4 TDs, including 32 catches for first downs and 11 catches in the red zone. From a scouting report: "In his first three seasons, 57 of his 89 catches produced first downs, as he converted 19 third-down throws and one more on fourth down. Forty-three of his grabs gained at least 10 yards, with 12 totaling 20 or more yards each. He also showed good blocking skills, delivering 14 touchdown-resulting blocks. As a senior, 11 of his 24 grabs resulted in first downs, as five of those catches were for 10 yards or longer and he managed two touchdown-resulting blocks."

1. LB Clay Mathews (alternative LBs: Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing, James Lauranaitis)

I like everything about Mathews. He could be a starting OLB from the very first of the season. Mathew’s should also improve the Falcons pass rush being as he had 4.5 sacks last season and has played some DE at USC.

2. S William Moore (alternative Ss: Louis Delmas, Patrick Chung, Rashad Johnson)

Delmas will probably be the first safety selected and not available at this pick. Moore displays the combination FS/SS that the Falcons appear to desire for their Cover 2 scheme. He has played both FS and SS during the last two seasons at Mizzoo.

3. CB Mike Mickens (alternative CBs: Asher Allen, Sherrod Martin, Bradley Fletcher)

Atlanta needs another CB to compete for a starting position. Mickens is a very good cover corner with good ball skills to help compensate for Houston’s rather weak ball skills. He had 14 picks and 44 pass breakups in his college career. Mickens is rather tall with long arms to battle the taller WRs. Agressive and supports the run well. According to a scouting report: "Reads the action quickly and gets an excellent break on the ball. … Cognizant defender. … Experienced in man and zone coverage with the combination of athleticism and instincts to play in either scheme at the next level. … Has a second gear to close and uses his long arms well to deflect passes."

With the retirement of Weiner, Atlanta is very thin at the OT position. Lang is the type of physical, aggressive, and strong lineman that Atlanta seems to prefer for its power running game. Lang started out as a defensive lineman, but has started at both Right and Left Offensive Tackles the past three seasons at Eastern Michigan. Has starter potential according to one scouting report.

Atlanta needs a pass-rushing DE to compliment Abe. Hunt had 32.5 Sacks and 48.5 TFLs during his last three seasons at the University of Houston.

Very strong and stout at the point, being able to anchor against the double team. However, Miller can also get good penetration as evidenced by his 5.5 Sacks and 11.5 TFLs during his last season at Texas.

Atlanta is still seeking a good pass-catching TE. In Purvis’s last season playing with Matt Ryan at BC, he caught over 50 passes for over 500 yards and 4 TDs, including 32 catches for first downs and 11 catches in the red zone.

no argument here... You found great value with every pick. Although I like Chung much better than Moore. Have you heard anything about us talking with any of the DT's you listed or Mike Mickens?

I like it, even though you left out my cousin Micheal Johnson. I have been watching more and reading more about Hunt and i am ok with him opposite abe, maybe even replacing him, i have to read more about Julius Williams. Good job getting good value with each pick.

First of all, i like your mock. And i know you put a lot research in your mocks and posts. Your's and mine are interestingly the same yet drastically different. Heres my two cents:

I like everything about Mathews. He could be a starting OLB from the very first of the season. Mathew’s should also improve the Falcons pass rush being as he had 4.5 sacks last season and has played some DE at USC.

I like Clay. I like your alternate (Maluagua) better. I honestly am not sure that he'll (or your alternates) will be there when we pick. If we did pick him, i'd be just as happy.

Delmas will probably be the first safety selected and not available at this pick. Moore displays the combination FS/SS that the Falcons appear to desire for their Cover 2 scheme. He has played both FS and SS during the last two seasons at Mizzoo.

We got the same guy and the same reasoning. He's rated behind Delmas, Chung and Johnson by most and that'll help us out.

if we went LB first i see this pick. i put Butler. But for a third round value Mickens would be a nice pick

With the retirement of Weiner, Atlanta is very thin at the OT position. Lang is the type of physical, aggressive, and strong lineman that Atlanta seems to prefer for its power running game. Lang started out as a defensive lineman, but has started at both Right and Left Offensive Tackles the past three seasons at Eastern Michigan. Has starter potential according to one scouting rephttp://life.atlantafalcons.com/style_images/atlfalcons/folder_editor_images/rte-bold.png

Boldort.

Atlanta needs a pass-rushing DE to compliment Abe. Hunt had 32.5 Sacks and 48.5 TFLs during his last three seasons at the University of Houston.

I have your alternate. I do think the 5th or 6th round is a nice place for a DE unless we grab an absolute stud

Very strong and stout at the point, being able to anchor against the double team. However, Miller can also get good penetration as evidenced by his 5.5 Sacks and 11.5 TFLs during his last season at Texas.

Heres where we kinda disagree. I'm just not sold on most of the DTs after Moala, Raji and Hood. But in the fifth its not a bad move one way or the other

Atlanta is still seeking a good pass-catching TE. In Purvis’s last season playing with Matt Ryan at BC, he caught over 50 passes for over 500 yards and 4 TDs, including 32 catches for first downs and 11 catches in the red zone.

Purvis in interesting guy because of Ryan's connection. He also is a nice player, but in this very deep and talented TE class it'll be interesting to see how the Falcons approach the position. Do they take a Chase Coffman or Ingram or Cook that slips to the third ? One will be available. Or roll the dice on someone like Purvis. Do they grab an early one and late one? The TE position is going to be very interesting to watch.

overall, excellent draft. I like the balanced smart approach. Good job and thanks for your other thread with all the visits. I'd appreciate your comments on my mock as well.

no argument here... You found great value with every pick. Although I like Chung much better than Moore. Have you heard anything about us talking with any of the DT's you listed or Mike Mickens?

Thanks. No I have heard nothing about the Falcons talking or visiting with Mickens or the DTs I mentioned in my mock. I'm only aware of just two DTs that the Falcons have expressed interest in thus far: Hood and Moala. I just think that the Falcons will visit with more DTs before draft day.

I like it, even though you left out my cousin Micheal Johnson. I have been watching more and reading more about Hunt and i am ok with him opposite abe, maybe even replacing him, i have to read more about Julius Williams. Good job getting good value with each pick.

Is Micheal Johnson really your cousin? I don't know a whole lot about Julius Williams either, although the Falcons have had him in for a private workout/visit. He played DE in college, but is working on developing LB skills also. A scouting report on him as follows:

Julius Williams

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 263 | Position:LB | College: Connecticut Player Profile Draft Tracker Other LB Connecticut

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange

Latest News

3/17/2009 - Julius Williams, just returning from an eight-week session of training under Mike Gough in Bradenton, Fla. He said he did a lot of linebacker work there because that's the position he figures to have the best shot at in the pros and he's getting his body ready for it. "I played at 265," Williams said. "I'm 255 now. I've lost a lot of body fat. I missed the [NFL Scouting] combine by a vote so I'm really looking forward to showing people what I can do by putting up some numbers at Pro Day. "People want to see me at linebacker, my hip work, how I do in space, I did a lot of training for that down in Florida, so I'm prepared." Williams has some meetings set up with the Giants and Jaguars, he said. - Desmond Conner, The Hartford Courant

2007 Season

Started all 13 games at defensive end and made 35 tackles on the year … Ranked third on the team with 12 TFLs and led the squad with 8.5 sacks … Also forced three fumbles and broke up a pass … Recorded four tackles at West Virginia (Nov. 24), splitting a TFL … Had four tackles in the win over USF (Oct. 27) … One of his four stops at Virginia (Oct. 13) was a shared sack … Had a sack and forced a fumble at Pittsburgh (Sept. 22) … Had 2.5 TFLs against Temple (Sept. 15), including 1.5 sacks, as part of a fivetackle day … Had a sack and forced a fumble at Duke (Sept. 1).

2006 Season

Appeared in all 12 games and made nine stops … Recorded a single solo tackle against Army (Oct. 14) and did likewise at Indiana (Sept. 23) … Had three of his tackles against Navy (Sept. 30) … Made four stops in the season opener against Rhode Island (Aug. 31).

2005 Season

Did not play due to injury.

2004 Season

Saw action in all 12 games on special teams while making some brief appearances as a linebacker … Credited with seven tackles on the season, four of which came against Buffalo (Nov. 20) … Also recorded a single tackle in games against Temple (Oct. 23), Syracuse (Oct. 30) and Georgia Tech (Nov. 13).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/537475

Is Micheal Johnson really your cousin? I don't know a whole lot about Julius Williams either, although the Falcons have had him in for a private workout/visit. He played DE in college, but is working on developing LB skills also. A scouting report on him as follows:

Julius Williams

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 263 | Position:LB | College: Connecticut Player Profile Draft Tracker Other LB Connecticut

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange

Latest News

3/17/2009 - Julius Williams, just returning from an eight-week session of training under Mike Gough in Bradenton, Fla. He said he did a lot of linebacker work there because that's the position he figures to have the best shot at in the pros and he's getting his body ready for it. "I played at 265," Williams said. "I'm 255 now. I've lost a lot of body fat. I missed the [NFL Scouting] combine by a vote so I'm really looking forward to showing people what I can do by putting up some numbers at Pro Day. "People want to see me at linebacker, my hip work, how I do in space, I did a lot of training for that down in Florida, so I'm prepared." Williams has some meetings set up with the Giants and Jaguars, he said. - Desmond Conner, The Hartford Courant

2007 Season

Started all 13 games at defensive end and made 35 tackles on the year … Ranked third on the team with 12 TFLs and led the squad with 8.5 sacks … Also forced three fumbles and broke up a pass … Recorded four tackles at West Virginia (Nov. 24), splitting a TFL … Had four tackles in the win over USF (Oct. 27) … One of his four stops at Virginia (Oct. 13) was a shared sack … Had a sack and forced a fumble at Pittsburgh (Sept. 22) … Had 2.5 TFLs against Temple (Sept. 15), including 1.5 sacks, as part of a fivetackle day … Had a sack and forced a fumble at Duke (Sept. 1).

2006 Season

Appeared in all 12 games and made nine stops … Recorded a single solo tackle against Army (Oct. 14) and did likewise at Indiana (Sept. 23) … Had three of his tackles against Navy (Sept. 30) … Made four stops in the season opener against Rhode Island (Aug. 31).

2005 Season

Did not play due to injury.

2004 Season

Saw action in all 12 games on special teams while making some brief appearances as a linebacker … Credited with seven tackles on the season, four of which came against Buffalo (Nov. 20) … Also recorded a single tackle in games against Temple (Oct. 23), Syracuse (Oct. 30) and Georgia Tech (Nov. 13).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/537475

Naw he is not my cousin, i was j/k. I read the same thing about Williams, it seems like he is really interested in playing SLB as opposed to DE. He lost like 10lbs.

First of all, i like your mock. And i know you put a lot research in your mocks and posts. Your's and mine are interestingly the same yet drastically different. Heres my two cents:

overall, excellent draft. I like the balanced smart approach. Good job and thanks for your other thread with all the visits. I'd appreciate your comments on my mock as well.

Thanks for the accolades and your detailed input. As far as DTs, I think Atlanta needs to get a NT to rotate with Trey Lewis, either through the draft or free agency, since Lewis is the only legitimate NT currently on the Falcons roster. I think that they can get decent rotational back-up depth at NT in this draft in the later rounds. I haven't had the time to look at your mock draft yet, as I have been busy today researching and working on my own mock. When I do get a chance to review yours, I will certainly provide my comments thereon.

I like your first pick however i doubt that Matthews will be there. I could live with Cushing and i like JL, but i do not like Maulaluga much. I think he is just a MLB. I think that JL could transition to OLB alot better than Maulaluga.

Im not a big fan of drafting a safety this year in an early round. I would much rather have Sidbury in the 2nd to give a boost to our pass rush. That would be awesome first 2 picks JL and Sidbury

I like how you waited till the 3rd to get a corner and i like how you waited till the 4th to get a tackle. I think getting a tackle early in the draft would not be a smart move.

I've been high on Hunt for a while. I think he could be a good pass rusher.

I like the DT move in the fifth. Pryor seems like he is a beast.

I like your draft alot. The only thing i would change is to get a DE in the 1st or 2nd. But this is one of my favorite ones on these boards.

Prof you are the TRUTH..love it, but I am also really hot on getting a stud TE high. But the Ryan connection is great at TE, they worked well in college.

I think we trade a player for a second and pick up a TE somehow by trading down... Norwood trade could have legs you know...

think about it, we trade norwood for a second, (or a 3rd and a 4th), trade picks for more in the 3rd, pick up Ingram or Nelon or Casey etc etc, plus have more room for another LB... The boards would go crazy but it could work.

But if we draft like that on draft day...dammmmn thats a sweet draft!!

Great job

not bad at all...i love the first and third. SS is a need but i would like to see what DeCoud can do before we go with a first day pick.

First I don't think DeCoud is big enough to be a "SS", even in Atlanta's cover 2 scheme. If Decoud were to start at FS, then I think Atlanta would shift Coleman over to SS. Coleman played SS and FS in the past with the Jets, but he appears to be a better suited and played better at FS than SS. I think if Atlanta drafted Moore, he could easily play SS and leave Coleman and DeCoud at their more natural position of FS.

I know that Atlanta prefers for their safeties to be a combo of FS/SS. However even in Cover 2, I think one of the starting Safeties needs a little more FS characteristics, and the other Starting safety needs a little more SS characteristics. FSs tend to have a little better coverage abilities, wheresas SSs tend to have better run-supporting abilities. Still both safeties in Cover 2 need to be able to cover and support the run. I was surprised last season with Milloy starting at safety, because he certainly did not have the coverage ability needed even for the SS in a Cover 2 scheme.

I like your first pick however i doubt that Matthews will be there. I could live with Cushing and i like JL, but i do not like Maulaluga much. I think he is just a MLB. I think that JL could transition to OLB alot better than Maulaluga.

Im not a big fan of drafting a safety this year in an early round. I would much rather have Sidbury in the 2nd to give a boost to our pass rush. That would be awesome first 2 picks JL and Sidbury

I like how you waited till the 3rd to get a corner and i like how you waited till the 4th to get a tackle. I think getting a tackle early in the draft would not be a smart move.

I've been high on Hunt for a while. I think he could be a good pass rusher.

I like the DT move in the fifth. Pryor seems like he is a beast.

I like your draft alot. The only thing i would change is to get a DE in the 1st or 2nd. But this is one of my favorite ones on these boards.

Thanks for your comments and input. One thing that I have against Atlanta drafting a DE in the early rounds is that he will probably not be an every down defensive player, but only used on passing downs. I believe Abe, Anderson, and Davis will normally be the DEs on running downs. Now I certainly agree that Atlanta needs to improve its pass rush. However, they could possibly accomplish this with a good blitzing LB, such as Matthews or Sintim. Atlanta tried to use LB Nicholas in this type of role last season, when they went into a 3-3-5 alignment on some passing downs , and usually blitzed Nicholas. Therefore, I personally like the idea of trying to improve the pass rush with a good blitzing LB, and a late round pass-rushing DE specialist like Phillip Hunt, who would compete with Biermann for that role.