For all the talk of trading out of the first and accumulating picks

MSalmon

Patriot picks

Since 2001 the Patriots have always used their first round picks and wow what draft picks they have chosen!

I do notice though that they love to acquire the 3rds, 4ths, 5ths and 6ths--look familiar?

I agree i seriously doubt that TD trades out of the first, i can see him trading down but not out of the first. I can see him trying to move up in the later rounds though.

I agree i seriously doubt that TD trades out of the first, i can see him trading down but not out of the first. I can see him trying to move up in the later rounds though.

That seems to be the "patriot way." Looks like they take BPA with the first round and then do as you say and move up, down and acquire picks in the later rounds.

I really belive that we will trade out of the first for a high 2nd and and a move up in the third, Nobody can come up with a concensus 1st rnd draft pick of need, that talent wise we can't pick up in the 2nd and early third, TD will find a danceing partner for us and we will get the talent needed at the DE,S,DT, and Cb i think we will reach for a OT late and a TE late.

post-544095-1239132492_thumb.jpg

As an fyi, it's not true that they have always used their first round picks. The way they got Mayo last year was by dealing out of the first round in 2007. The 49ers swapped up for Joe Staley, giving NE the #110 pick and their 2008 first rounder. NE had an additional pick in the first round that they used on Brandon Meriweather. They had received this for Deion Branch. So, the Patriots turned their first round pick and Deion Branch into Meriweather, Mayo and Randy Moss.

I'm not saying it will happen as I think the league-wide opinion this year is that picking in the 20s is a good place to be. I absolutely think TD would trade out of the first round for a second rounder and a future first round pick if the right team called, though. Any of the teams picking in the top 7 this year except maybe Cleveland would be perceived as potential top 10 picks again next year. So, picking at #37 this year instead of #24 in exchange for potentially adding the #7 pick next year would be worth consideration, particularly given that there seem to be a lot of options we like in that range. We're not out much by a deal down. It's a patient move that I've always appreciated Belichick and Pioli for making.

As an fyi, it's not true that they have always used their first round picks. The way they got Mayo last year was by dealing out of the first round in 2007. The 49ers swapped up for Joe Staley, giving NE the #110 pick and their 2008 first rounder. NE had an additional pick in the first round that they used on Brandon Meriweather. They had received this for Deion Branch. So, the Patriots turned their first round pick and Deion Branch into Meriweather, Mayo and Randy Moss.

I'm not saying it will happen as I think the league-wide opinion this year is that picking in the 20s is a good place to be. I absolutely think TD would trade out of the first round for a second rounder and a future first round pick if the right team called, though. Any of the teams picking in the top 7 this year except maybe Cleveland would be perceived as potential top 10 picks again next year. So, picking at #37 this year instead of #24 in exchange for potentially adding the #7 pick next year would be worth consideration, particularly given that there seem to be a lot of options we like in that range. We're not out much by a deal down. It's a patient move that I've always appreciated Belichick and Pioli for making.

LOL, nice technicality. Although note: they had two first rounders, so they still had a first round pick. That was a shrewd trade that year btw. That was the year they lost a pick for the cheating scandal, right?

The only way i could see us trading out of the first round, btw is that if we got an additional second rounder in the low to mid 30s and a next year's first and possibliy an additional pick--it could happen but i doubt it. Why trade if you can get a stud like Butler, Matthews, Maluagua (if he slides) Unger or others at #24? No reason to. You take the stud.

Ironically, if we were to trade down the ideal trade partner would be New England with the #34 pick as they have 3 second round picks.

But as you notice the Pats like to pick their first rounder and then their activity happens in the rounds after.

The patriots way was the bellicheck dimitroff pioli way... we have 1/3 of this, ergo, we will have alot of this sweeping over. Add Smitty's expertise for defense, and we get a d heavy with potential, with one first rounder, and probably an accumulation of 3rd to 6th rdrs

probably an accumulation of 3rd to 6th rdrs

That's always a hope of mine. One of the best Falcons draft day deals ever was when McKay sent the Jaguars a 5th round pick for three 6th round picks. We got Trey Lewis, Daren Stone and David Irons instead of one moderately higher graded 5th rounder.

As an fyi, it's not true that they have always used their first round picks. The way they got Mayo last year was by dealing out of the first round in 2007. The 49ers swapped up for Joe Staley, giving NE the #110 pick and their 2008 first rounder.

This is exactly the move I want TD to make.

2007 Pats trade:

Pats give: 2007 1st

49ers give: 2007 4th and 2009 1st

Our 1st round pick is higher than the Pats was (120 points worth = to a 3rd rounder), so we could feasibly do:

Falcons give: 2009 1st, 2009 4th

Other team gives: 2009 2nd, 2010 1st

This is exactly the move I want TD to make.

2007 Pats trade:

Pats give: 2007 1st

49ers give: 2007 4th and 2009 1st

Our 1st round pick is higher than the Pats was (120 points worth = to a 3rd rounder), so we could feasibly do:

Falcons give: 2009 1st, 2009 4th

Other team gives: 2009 2nd, 2010 1st

that is a nice trade imo