Blockbuster On Its Deathbed

Ibis1

Story

It looks like the company is giving up stating that they cannot pay back their debt and don't see a way to anytime soon.

I'm doubt this makes many people sad. Blockbuster sucked blood from it customers for years because of their late fee policies. I was definitely a victim of that.

I have been a Total Access Customer since the beginning. Here is my current deal.

BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium

$19.99 / month (plus taxes)

3 at-a-time, Unlimited mailings

Unlimited in-store movie exchanges

+2 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month

On another note, I use my mother's Netflix account to PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL video to my Blu-Ray and Xbox 360.

I may stay until the ship sinks because it is very easy for me to get new Blu-Ray releases from Blockbuster. Just walk into the store on Tuesday and pick it up using one of my unlimited trade-in movies or 1 of 2 coupons I get a month. Not to mention that I can use those coupons for game rentals. I can't do any of that with Netflix.

Does anyone know if it is difficult to get new releases on Blu-Ray via Netflix? I don't want to wait a month before they ship me the latest movies.

Story

It looks like the company is giving up stating that they cannot pay back their debt and don't see a way to anytime soon.

I'm doubt this makes many people sad. Blockbuster sucked blood from it customers for years because of their late fee policies. I was definitely a victim of that.

I have been a Total Access Customer since the beginning. Here is my current deal.

On another note, I use my mother's Netflix account to PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL video to my Blu-Ray and Xbox 360.

I may stay until the ship sinks because it is very easy for me to get new Blu-Ray releases from Blockbuster. Just walk into the store on Tuesday and pick it up using one of my unlimited trade-in movies or 1 of 2 coupons I get a month. Not to mention that I can use those coupons for game rentals. I can't do any of that with Netflix.

Does anyone know if it is difficult to get new releases on Blu-Ray via Netflix? I don't want to wait a month before they ship me the latest movies.

Sorry can't help you with your question. I do have a personal question for you ... didn't you used to have a stork or pelican in you avatar like 10 years ago? I was thinking it was a UM mascot.

Story

I'm not sad for them after all of those late fees they took me for back in the day. I would drop of a movie before the dropoff time and the store employees wouldn't scan the dang movie until like hours later. When they did, their computer would register it as being late and they would charge me a late fee. Screw Blockbuster.

As for Blu-Ray on Netflix, its easier to get them than regular DVDs, probably due to less people having blu-ray players. I wanted to see Max Payne and waited for weeks to get it on regular DVD. I couldn't, but as soon as I changed it to blu-ray, I got it right away.

Sorry can't help you with your question. I do have a personal question for you ... didn't you used to have a stork or pelican in you avatar like 10 years ago? I was thinking it was a UM mascot.

It was a funkin' ibis bird, which is the University of Miami's mascot as well his name is also Ibis.

I'm not sad for them after all of those late fees they took me for back in the day. I would drop of a movie before the dropoff time and the store employees wouldn't scan the dang movie until like hours later. When they did, their computer would register it as being late and they would charge me a late fee. Screw Blockbuster.

They did the same thing to me. I shreaded my card after that and never went back. DIE Blockbuster!

Blockbuster was great back in the day and they still served their purpose even a few years ago but at this point their overall business model stinks. Why would I spend $5+ to rent a movie when I can buy a DVD for less than $5 at a few stores? Why anyone rent movies with the option to download content through NetFlix, OnDemand, Amazon/TiVO?

I did use Blockbuster once though, I let someone borrow a season of the Sopranos and they ended up scratching a disc to the point where you couldn't watch the disc. I walked into Blockbuster, asked how much it would be to pay for a "lost" Sopranos disc, they looked it up.. $9.95 later I had a complete set again plus an extra DVD case. (friend paid me back, problem solved) They are good for a few things like that. :lol:

They did the same thing to me. I shreaded my card after that and never went back. DIE Blockbuster!

All you had to do was tell them you weren't paying the late fee because it was on time and 99.99% of the time you didn't even have to speak to a manager. I never took any crap from someone that a simple mind trick would work on. ;)

You are correct. I updated it just for you.

All you had to do was tell them you weren't paying the late fee because it was on time and 99.99% of the time you didn't even have to speak to a manager. I never took any crap from someone that a simple mind trick would work on. ;)

I never paid for late charges either, always challenge the system make them prove it, most managers will give in and take off the late charges.

I tried to rent a game from Blockbuster for the first time in 4 years last week.

I took it up to the counter, handed her my card, and the lady rung everything up and said "That will be $9.53"

I said "nope" and walked out. I hope they crumble to the ground.

thats why you get their unlimited game rentals.....you can have one game out at a time with no limit to how long or short, one day i traded in 3 different games....just take it in and exchange for a new one...only 20 bucks a month...alot better than gamefly

I commented to my friend about 3 weeks ago "I bet Blockbuster is hurting like crazy right now" just in passing.

2 days later we go to rent one from a corner store(for the first time in like 5 years) and it was closed up....we just laughed and hopped back into the car.

I commented to my friend about 3 weeks ago "I bet Blockbuster is hurting like crazy right now" just in passing.

2 days later we go to rent one from a corner store(for the first time in like 5 years) and it was closed up....we just laughed and hopped back into the car.

RedBox anyone a dollar a night and no membership required.

Link

Story

what that is what you pay?? i paid like 34.99 for that. i heard that you have to return you movies from the store before getting the online movies. also if they want to catch up get on demand that you do not have to pay for. and link it with the PS3.

I've been a Blockbuster member for probably 10-15 years but only rented there once in the last five years. I had NETFLIX for awhile but I cancelled that subscription, mainly because if you don't watch 3-4 movies a month you're basically psng money away. I can't watch a movie every week so I cancelled. I didn't like Blockbuster's late fees but I definitely don't wish for the death of another company that would result in the loss of jobs for thousands more. Not at all. Go Blockbuster!