A new school joins the chase for Wall

Unknøwn

Just when things were starting to simplify for John Wall, things got a little more complicated for the No. 1 ranked prospect in the Rivals150. The coach of the school he was favoring took the Kentucky job, and now the hottest school in college basketball is joining the chase.

Over the Final Four weekend North Carolina head coach Roy Williams called Wall as his team was on its way to a national championship.

"He just called to check in," said Wall, a 6-foot-4, 184-pound point guard from Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God Christian Academy. "He is supposed to meet with me after the tournament."

Wall has also spent some time on the phone with new Kentucky coach John Calipari. Before Calipari's departure from Memphis, Wall had the Tigers at the top of his list.

"Coach Cal told me the same stuff that he told me when he was at Memphis," he said. "He said its all the same- the system and everything- just a different school."

So will Wall, who is still scheduled to visit Miami the last weekend of April, squeeze in a visit to Kentucky before he makes a decision?

"I've visited there already," he said. "I know the school well enough that I don't need to take another visit. I have the information I need to make a decision."

With schools like Duke and North Carolina joining Wall's recruitment on the tail end, Wall now has most of the nation's elite basketball programs recruiting him.

"I think it is pretty good to have schools like Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas recruiting me," he said. "Those are four of the top schools that you hear about the most. It's great that coaches from schools like those want to see me and recruit me. In the end this is my decision, so I'll definitely be looking at North Carolina."

As much as I'd like it if Wall were to come to Duke seeing him go to a gutted UNC would be amusing. Kinda like watching Greg Monroe and Pattrick Patterson pay for deciding to go to Georgetown and Kentucky.

Returning Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller, Deon Thompson, LD2, and possibly Wayne Ellington. Bringing in John Henson, Strickland and the Wear Twins. Gutted? Hardly.

Returning Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller, Deon Thompson, LD2, and possibly Wayne Ellington. Bringing in John Henson, Strickland and the Wear Twins. Gutted? Hardly.
I really can't believe he's that big of a homer to think UNC is going to be gutted next year.

UNC minus Lawson, Psycho T, and maybe Ellington = gutted.

Its funny that you're so much of a homer that you think your freshmen class/returning players can immediately replace those guys.

This is the same UNC that couldn't beat Duke (last year) without Lawson. This is the same UNC that barely beat VT and couldn't beat FSU without Lawson. You're telling me that the guys that contributed to those losses, minus Tyler and potentially minus Ellington too plus a few freshmen, are going to be better than the UNC team that couldn't win those games.

It has nothing to do with me being a Duke alum and everything to do with the fact that I watch enough Carolina to know how important those guys are to the team.

I'm sure you're right though...losing 4/5 starters...no big deal.

Davis might not be around next year

He's staying. His dad doesn't think he's ready for the NBA and they are very wealthy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4048617

UNC minus Lawson, Psycho T, and maybe Ellington = gutted.

Its funny that you're so much of a homer that you think your freshmen class/returning players can immediately replace those guys.

This is the same UNC that couldn't beat Duke (last year) without Lawson. This is the same UNC that barely beat VT and couldn't beat FSU without Lawson. You're telling me that the guys that contributed to those losses, minus Tyler and potentially minus Ellington too plus a few freshmen, are going to be better than the UNC team that couldn't win those games.

It has nothing to do with me being a Duke alum and everything to do with the fact that I watch enough Carolina to know how important those guys are to the team.

I'm sure you're right though...losing 4/5 starters...no big deal.

We lost 96% of our 05 team. I'd say those guys were important too. Still had over 20 wins the next year. We lose less....FAR LESS after this season. My concern is in the backcourt with Ty Lawson. The Frontcourt is fine. Forgot to add Ginyard will be back also.

We lost 96% of our 05 team. I'd say those guys were important too. Still had over 20 wins the next year. We lose less....FAR LESS after this season. My concern is in the backcourt with Ty Lawson. The Frontcourt is fine. Forgot to add Ginyard will be back also.

This is the long and short of it. UNC is still going to be loaded with big post guys. Ed Davis will be one of the best players in the nation next year, and Tyler Zeller will be much better with more experience. Couple those guys with the recruits they're bringing in (minus the Wear Twins), and they're still going to be very good. It's the guard play that will have to step up for them.

BTW, I don't know what Wayne Ellington is going to do, but he made himself a ton of money with his performance this tourney. The way he comes off screens, sets his feet, and squares up to the basket is unique in college basketball. When he gets hot, there aren't many that can duplicate what he does from the outside.

Just like how UNC was gutted in 2006?

Exactly like 2006 except worse because I don't recall them losing a PoY or ACC PoY that year. There's not one guy on that championship roster more important than Tyler or Lawson. More important than Ellington? Sure. More important than Green? Sure. Not Hansbrough and Lawson though.

I'd call 23-8, not making a run at the ACC title, and losing in the second round a down year. Maybe winning 10 fewer games isn't a drop off to a Carolina fan though.

Exactly like 2006 except worse because I don't recall them losing a PoY or ACC PoY that year. There's not one guy on that championship roster more important than Tyler or Lawson. More important than Ellington? Sure. More important than Green? Sure. Not Hansbrough and Lawson though.

I'd call 23-8, not making a run at the ACC title, and losing in the second round a down year. Maybe winning 10 fewer games isn't a drop off to a Carolina fan though.

So your average Duke season the last few years?

So your average Duke season the last few years?

Yeah, no argument from me there. I'll be the first one to admit that Duke has been down for the three years since Shelden and JJ graduated. It tends to happen when you lose a PoY and DPoY though.

I expect things to pick up now that Coach K is actually worrying about what he's going to put on the floor in Cameron more than what needs to happen in Beijing. Spending his summers with the Team USA instead of recruiting for Duke has hurt out past few recruiting classes. I expect 2010's class to be noticeably better and Seth Curry is a solid start.