Tonight's episode of House

Rev_Hal

Is anyone else floored by the suicide of Kutner? What happened? Was Kal Penn fired or something?

Suicide is a tough subject that has touched many of our lives. I don't care if a TV show uses it in a plot line, but FOX came rather close to being very offensive in a few cases.

Anyone else see this tonight?

Saw it. This was the first time I've watched a new episode on Fox, I always just catch the re-runs on USA. I didn't see the suicide coming at all, and was wondering if there was a contract dispute with Penn or if he left the show to make more movies. The advertisement for the episode this past week didn't live up to the billing though, the show wasn't as emotional as they made it out to be.

Saw it. This was the first time I've watched a new episode on Fox, I always just catch the re-runs on USA. I didn't see the suicide coming at all, and was wondering if there was a contract dispute with Penn or if he left the show to make more movies. The advertisement for the episode this past week didn't live up to the billing though, the show wasn't as emotional as they made it out to be.

I was seriously pissed off the whole episode. And for someone that has had to council parents who have children that have comitted or attempted suicide, the scene where House blames the parents was horrible. I know that is just the House character, but I guess it hit too close to home for me.

man looks like i missed a good one.

The title said "Spoilers", ;)

Fox has an obituary online, which seems a bit offensive to me. Again, having dealt with familes in this type of crisis, it seems cheap for Fox to try and boost their web traffic using suicide..

House handled it better than I would have thought, but Taub started to p*ssed me off. There was no contract dispute that I'm aware of, just writing off a character. A few weeks ago one of the high ups stated in a interview that one major character was going to commit suicide.

The title said "Spoilers", ;)

Fox has an obituary online, which seems a bit offensive to me. Again, having dealt with familes in this type of crisis, it seems cheap for Fox to try and boost their web traffic using suicide..

Agreed. House dealing with the parents was in spirit with House's character, but tasteless nonetheless. Not a good episode.

I think the show needs to get back to the original three team around House and get rid of Taub and 13. I liked Cutner's character, the suicide came out of nowhere and considering the actor was not filmed at all in the show it makes me wonder if he was fired or if there was some kind of dispute.

When House theorized about murder, I thought it might go that direction. It was a real shock, and I think it may be the beginning of the end. Seems like on a lot of shows, they go for a good while on their own merits, but when ratings start to slip or the actors/writers start to get bored, they begin to interject story lines or shock factors to mix things up. That's usually a sign that the series is in trouble. But, I agree with Rev - I thought the episode was over the top. JMO.

I tought it was an excellent episode. The "suicide" had been discussed online for a good time...but nobody knew who it was going to be. When it was over, I truly felt sad and had a sick feeling in my stomach. This episode, while understandably offensive to some, made me alittle emotional...something that a television program has never made me do. The patient storyline in this one was also very good.

When House theorized about murder, I thought it might go that direction. It was a real shock, and I think it may be the beginning of the end. Seems like on a lot of shows, they go for a good while on their own merits, but when ratings start to slip or the actors/writers start to get bored, they begin to interject story lines or shock factors to mix things up. That's usually a sign that the series is in trouble. But, I agree with Rev - I thought the episode was over the top. JMO.

I really don't think he's going to give up on the murder thing yet. I would expect him to continue exploring that.

I was seriously pissed off the whole episode. And for someone that has had to council parents who have children that have comitted or attempted suicide, the scene where House blames the parents was horrible. I know that is just the House character, but I guess it hit too close to home for me.

Rev, I've got a question for you, though you don't have to answer if you don't want to, I would totally understand. What do you tell the parents of a child that has committed suicide, given the general Christian view that suicides go to ****? If you answer, you don't have to go into any specific instance where you counseled parents, just maybe a generalization of what you would tell them in this situation.

I've had a few semi-distant relatives committ suicide, but no one very close so I've never had to deal with this tragedy, but I cannot imagine having to go through this situation involving a close family member or friend. I know what I believe regarding the fate of a person committing suicide, and what the general Christian view is, so that is why I asked the question. Generally when someone dies, the standard line of consolation is "they're in a better place now," which is why I was wondering how you counsel the family of a suicide victim.

Rev, I've got a question for you, though you don't have to answer if you don't want to, I would totally understand. What do you tell the parents of a child that has committed suicide, given the general Christian view that suicides go to ****? If you answer, you don't have to go into any specific instance where you counseled parents, just maybe a generalization of what you would tell them in this situation.

I've had a few semi-distant relatives committ suicide, but no one very close so I've never had to deal with this tragedy, but I cannot imagine having to go through this situation involving a close family member or friend. I know what I believe regarding the fate of a person committing suicide, and what the general Christian view is, so that is why I asked the question. Generally when someone dies, the standard line of consolation is "they're in a better place now," which is why I was wondering how you counsel the family of a suicide victim.

Allow me interject my thoughts, at least until Rev gets back to this thread. And, he may disagree with me. But I, too have had to deal with trying to comfort those who have lost loved ones to suicide. I also lost my father to suicide.

The general Catholic dogma is that suicide is a mortal sin and worthy of heII, but that's not necessarily the view of all Christian believers. I believe that God alone knows the heart and He alone judges.

For an example: one faction will tell you that Elvis is definitely in Heaven, because he often talked about the Lord and always desired to be a Gospel singer. Another faction will tell you that Elvis is definitely in heII, because of the drugs he did and all the women he ran with. Truth is: God alone is Judge, and He alone knows the heart of the man.

Many victims of suicide are tormented souls who see no other solution. Some have a mental state that compromises their judgement. I believe that each person is judged separately, and that there is no 'hard and fast rule'.

Maybe this helps.

Guest WoodyPaige

I would be interested in hearing this answer as well (with all due respect, of course).

Wow, I see this thread going in a crazy direction.

I am a true Christian/protestant believer in the "once saved always saved" camp. I personally don't believe that there is any way we can sin our way out of our salvation, other than to choose to not believe in Christ any longer. This is the ideal pushed by John Wesley, who is my personal hero.

There is years of study and thought that went into this decision for me. I have no idea if I am right or not, or if one of the other philosophies has it right. For me it is kind of knitpicking. I believe in the love and grace of Christ, and everything else is fodder for theological discussions. I am much more of St. Francis kinda guy ("Preach the Gospel at all times - use words when absolutely necessary").

As for what I tell families? I really don't tell them anything. There are no words that can make things better, and there is absolutly no reason to provide my opinion on why someone kills themselves. I just try to comfort the family and let them know that in this time of unthinkable pain, that God still loves them. I try to comfort as much as possible.

I'm not by training a grief councilor. I just try to make a horrible sitation bearable.

Wow, I see this thread going in a crazy direction.

I am a true Christian/protestant believer in the "once saved always saved" camp. I personally don't believe that there is any way we can sin our way out of our salvation, other than to choose to not believe in Christ any longer. This is the ideal pushed by John Wesley, who is my personal hero.

There is years of study and thought that went into this decision for me. I have no idea if I am right or not, or if one of the other philosophies has it right. For me it is kind of knitpicking. I believe in the love and grace of Christ, and everything else is fodder for theological discussions. I am much more of St. Francis kinda guy ("Preach the Gospel at all times - use words when absolutely necessary").

As for what I tell families? I really don't tell them anything. There are no words that can make things better, and there is absolutly no reason to provide my opinion on why someone kills themselves. I just try to comfort the family and let them know that in this time of unthinkable pain, that God still loves them. I try to comfort as much as possible.

I'm not by training a grief councilor. I just try to make a horrible sitation bearable.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread and turn it into a heated debate, but seeing your post just made me curious because it is a question I've had for a while now, as far as religious counseling after a suicide. Thank you for your honesty though, and for answering.

Just to add a note....

I have never witnessed anything more painful, or could imagine anything more horrific in this world, than a parent outliving their child. I can't even begin to understand how much that would hurt, and just the thought of one of my kids dying it too much to think about. As far as emotional pain, that is the worst thing humans have to endure in this world.

That's probalby what bugged me the most about the scene with House and Kutner's parents. I know Hose was just "in character", and I probably would have criticized FOX if House was not his typical disgusting self at that moment. But it was still hard to watch, and still tasteless.

What is even more tasteless to me is FOX setting up an obituary page for Kutner. That feels like a slap in the face for all of the people that have had to live through this type of tradgedy.

FYI.....

Penn Quits Acting For The White House

7 April 2009 12:00 PM, PDT

MV5BMjM0ODAzMjkzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQ5OTcyMg@@._V1._SY90_.jpg American actor/producer Kal Penn has left hit TV show House to work for U.S. President Barack Obama.

The 31-year-old actor has accepted a position as the associate director in the White House's Office of Public Liaison & Intergovernmental Affairs.

Penn - also known for his role in stoner comedy Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle - was written out of the TV drama in an episode that aired in the U.S. on Monday.

And he's preparing to leave acting behind for good even though the salary for the government job is far less than the money he makes from his career on screen.

He tells Entertainment Weekly, "(The Office of Public Liaison & Intergovernmental Affairs) do outreach with the American public and with different organisations. They're basically the front door of the White House. They take out all of the red tape that falls between the general public and the White House.

"I love what I do as an actor. I couldn't love it more. But probably from the time I was a kid, I really enjoyed that balance between the arts and public service. I thought this might be the right time to go off and do something else.

"There's not a lot of financial reward in these jobs. Obviously, the opportunity to serve in a capacity like this is an incredible honor."

Penn is currently working on a graduate certificate in international security from California's prestigious Stanford University.

He also campaigned for Obama last year as a member of his National Arts Policy Committee.

Permalink | Report a problem

Have you ever read something, heard a song, or saw something that invoked a deep emotion within you? Ever? Has any image or story ever stirred you?

Songs come from an experience so their affect should be taken seriously. The same thing with books sometimes. A script on a tv show is absolute fiction and not to be taken so seriously.

Trying to castrate and censor a television show seems like a waste of time to me. But that's just me.