Bucs give Winslow an NFL record extension for a TE

BlacksburgHokie

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers extended the contract of their newest acquisition, Kellen Winslow Jr., by giving him the biggest contract for a tight end in NFL history.

Winslow, according to his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, agreed to a six-year, $36.1 million deal that includes $20.1 million in guarantees. With incentives, the deal could grow to $42.1 million.

The Bucs acquired Winslow in a trade with the Cleveland Browns last month. He was the sixth pick in the 2004 draft, rated as one of the best tight ends to go from college to the pros. His knee was damaged severely in a 2005 motorcycle accident, but after his recover, Winslow re-established himself as one of the league's top tight ends.

Now, he's paid like that.

----------

Wow...I think they are going to end up regretting that...

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers extended the contract of their newest acquisition, Kellen Winslow Jr., by giving him the biggest contract for a tight end in NFL history.

Winslow, according to his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, agreed to a six-year, $36.1 million deal that includes $20.1 million in guarantees. With incentives, the deal could grow to $42.1 million.

The Bucs acquired Winslow in a trade with the Cleveland Browns last month. He was the sixth pick in the 2004 draft, rated as one of the best tight ends to go from college to the pros. His knee was damaged severely in a 2005 motorcycle accident, but after his recover, Winslow re-established himself as one of the league's top tight ends.

Now, he's paid like that.

----------

Wow...I think they are going to end up regretting that...

Imagine what is dad would be worth at today's NFL pay scale?Junior isn't half the player his dad was,not to mention he is a nuclear meltdown waiting to happen

My foot! He was stupid when he was younger, but who wasn't? My man is growing up, and please dont forget he wa played for the BROWNS for entire carrer. Who isn't requesting a trade fromt the Browns? :)

2004 leg injury

Winslow was expected to give the Cleveland offense an immediate boost. Two games into his rookie season, however, he suffered a broken right fibula, costing him $5.3 million in incentive bonuses. The injury kept him on the sidelines for the remainder of the year after having only recorded five catches for 50 yards. After two operations on the injured leg, Winslow was supposed to make a full and complete recovery in time for the 2005 season. He had made his NFL debut versus the Baltimore Ravens on September 12.

[edit]2005 motorcycle accident

This expectation changed on May 1, 2005 when Winslow, while riding his Suzuki GSX-R750 motorcycle in a community college parking lot in suburban Westlake, hit a curb at about 35 mph and was thrown from his bike. Winslow sustained a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and was placed on the "Physically Unable-to-Perform (Non Football Injury)" list for the 2005 season. Winslow also fought off a six-week staph infection that resulted from his knee injury.

While Winslow was contractually obligated by the NFL's standard player contract not to "engage in … any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury"[2], and specifically not to ride a motorcycle under his contract with the Browns, he nevertheless purchased the powerful sport bike. Lt. Judy Neel of the Ohio State Highway Patrol reported that Winslow obtained a motorcycle learner's permit April 26, after initially failing a written exam administered in the Garfield Heights district of Cleveland. Initially, it was speculated that the Browns would seek to recoup a pro-rated share of the $6 million signing bonus Winslow received in 2004 and perhaps the entire $4.4 million option bonus he was paid in March 2005, although the Browns later declined to take such action.

[edit]2006 season

Winslow attended the Browns' 2006 training camp and pronounced himself ready to play. The Associated Press reported in August 2006 that Winslow said that, even at 90 percent, he was superior to every other NFL tight end. "I hate to be brash", Winslow said. "But I think my 90 percent is still better than every tight end out there."

In the opening game of the 2006 NFL season against the New Orleans Saints, Winslow recorded his first NFL touchdown, scoring on an 18-yard pass from quarterback Charlie Frye. Winslow emerged as a reliable target for Cleveland, finishing the year with 89 receptions, the most at his position on the season, which also tied Ozzie Newsome's all-time franchise record for receptions in a season[3]. Winslow underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee January 31, 2007 at the Cleveland Clinic in an attempt to further repair cartilage damage sustained in the motorcycle accident in 2005.

[edit]2007 season

On December 18, Winslow was named as a first alternate for the 2008 Pro Bowl[4] On February 4, Antonio Gates of the San Diego Chargers announced he would not be attending the Pro Bowl due to injury. This paved the way for Winslow to make his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

He finished the season with 82 receptions for 1106 yards and five touchdowns.

[edit]2008 season

During the 2008 season, Winslow was hospitalized with a staph infection. Winslow then openly criticized former GM Phil Savage about not fixing the infection problem (the Browns have had seven cases of staph infection in the last few years), and trying to hide the injury. Savage responded by suspending him for a week.

Lot negative stuff in such a short time. H e l l the Falcons just traded a guy that has a bad hamstring for draft position ,while the Bucs give a guy with two major surgeries 40 million. LOL <_<

Seriously though he is a major talent if he stays healthy and keeps his head on straight he is gonna win the Bucs some games as much as I hate to say that

:lol: Man I always knew some Atlanta fans were dumb, but that statement puts it over the top.

Worse than Shockey, because he is always hurt and not a team player. Then what the **** is Shockey?

Oh, the guys good. However, he's been injured nearly as many games as he's played. If that isn't injury prone, I don't know what is.

Shockey is a good TE, who also has issues. It just seems like Winslow has more.

• 3 weeks later...