THE DRAFT

i think scouting is more of an art. its not very mechanical. i would probably say it is more of an art, especially since i think a lot of teams get into trouble when they get to scientific and dont look at the context of things or focus too much on measurables. i think that explains some of the qb busts as well as workout warriors dissapointing. so ill say its an art to kick off the discussion. :P

-Mr. Offseason

i bet most scouts use a systematic approach. less of science and more of art. sure the physical attributes plays a part but each position is somewhat already taylored designed for those specific traits. example you wouldnt want a 5'9 TE to play the position, in fact they may start out as a TE but eventually fit the role of a fullback (beefer player) or a CB (leaner/toned) etc. its more of an art, such a instinct, heart (dedication), mental toughness/leadership. growing up in a football enviroment i guess thats my experience.

It is Science and Math which were my best two subjects in School, It's a good thing it has nothing to do with English or Spelling though. I sure stink in that area. But if it is an Art , I did inherit that from my dad. But I don't think it is an art. It is a formula of Science and Math that adds up to success in the draft.

I would say that it takes a massive amount of football knowledge, perserverance in tape study, attention to detail, memory to remember previous players to compare tape with, character evaluation skill in interviews, knowledge of your own system, watching more tape, assessing value, poker on draft day, seeing potential to coach up a rough diamond...

In other words, alot of work, alot which comes through feel and being born with it (the art), the other taking tireless amounts of time studying, evaluating and predicting. (the science)

On top of that comes the savvy skill to posiiton yourself correctly, predict the draft boards, get your value. That is why they are Genral MANAGERs...

so much respect for them, but the ones who do well seem to be the tireless workers, who love the game and understand football.

it seems that it is an art but science also comes into looking at a players production, which stats are most important for each position and which is not.

also looking back at other drafts will often help you see which attributes are needed that can be hidden in the colege game such as what in his college tape makes brady a future hall of famer and alexsmitha bust. if you can work out that and then apply it to the present years prospcts your onto a winner but it is a mammoth task and probably why its so hard for it to be scientific.

a GMs instincts are also an art, i read somewere that TD has exceptional instincts and that is why he can smell out busts and late round sleepers. it also said tha you can learn to be a good talent evaluator but to be a great one you need the instincts which cant be taught.