Laurent to the Rams

Zanka

It was a TERRIBLE move! just TERRIBLE!

Laurent was a starter in 2007 and showed TREMENDOUS potential. He was #2 this year before his injuries. We pretty much gave up a starter, for a PS player.

I gave TD a pass for not making much noise in FA, but this is just ridiculous.

I never bought into the "Laurent is the next superstar" nonsense, but I thought he would've made a very nice #4 WR with Matt Ryan. We got him in the 3rd round and when he saw the field his rookie season, he did pretty well. He appeared to have great hands and good speed. I'm just not sure that moving up 20 spots in the 6th or 7th round is fair value.

I've been calling for a Laurent Robinson trade for a long time --- but I think we could or should have done better than just moving up in rounds. We didn't even need an extra pick.

Maybe this was done because TD also sees that late round WR that I do.

good call on the laurent trade. i kept thinking it was our fault he was not able to start and prove himself. (wrong conditioning and workout regiments etc) because everytime he did have a chance to play he looked superb.

You can say what you want. He's going to be a great player with the rams.. I really thought he would be the falcons second threat at wide out. Never sure Jenkins as it. Douglas will be there one day. And white is the number one for now. But hey. It is what it is. I just hope this more doesn't hurt the team in the long run.

Each time Robinson got a chance to showcase his talent he got hurt. White and Jenkins solidified their spots at 1 and 2 last year. Douglas was very good at #3 and more importantly Douglas was a big contributor on special teams. This left Robinson at #4 and he would have had to play special teams. I just don't see Robinson being the ST kind of player. That role will be filled by Finneran or UFA's. I don't expect to see any WR's drafted this year. Robinson was a cut waiting to happen. At least TD gained a better position in the draft.

in a points sense we make a win, and the big picture is that he flashed potential, but was in the physio room more than in pads, so was probably a good trade. I liked his potential, and he could make a great WR in this league if he stays healthy, but if the potential doesnt come together, he is the 4th WR in our team, and Finn is a big 3rd down threat, so 5th in some situations...

To move higher in these rounds is massive, really massive, could be the difference between being able to trade up into a 4th round pick to pick up an OLB, or TE we like alot, or it just means that TD goes to work an uncovers a great DT, or DE lower down.

I hated the pick at first read, but now love it.

:lol: Well I guess those of us saying Robinson wasn't the super receiver that the rest of you thought he was are proven right now.

I LOVE this trade, because as I said before, Robinson was part of the McKay/Petrino draft that was one of the worst in recent memory. Robinson was alright, but I'd rather get a draft pick and let TD get his guy.

robinson showed that he could be a very good receiver in this league in 2007. I understand he wasn't part of our long term plans with Jenkins extended and Harry Douglas on the roster, but I really think we got robbed on this one. I thought at the very least, we should have gotten a 4th or 5th rounder straight up. If something happens, god forbid, to one of our starters, I garuantee Laurant would have been more valuable than those picks in the late rounds

:lol: Well I guess those of us saying Robinson wasn't the super receiver that the rest of you thought he was are proven right now.

I LOVE this trade, because as I said before, Robinson was part of the McKay/Petrino draft that was one of the worst in recent memory. Robinson was alright, but I'd rather get a draft pick and let TD get his guy.

Laurent Robinson senior year statistics at Illinois State

40 receptions, 718 receiving yards, 7 TDs

6'2, 199 lbs, 4.38 40 yard dash

Drafted Round = 4

Dominique Edison senior year statistics at Stephen F. Austin

67 receptions, 1,106 receiving yards, 18 TDs

6'2.5, 205 lbs, 4.42 40

Projected Round = 6-UDFA

These two are very similar receivers, except that Edison has no injury history or concerns and has more potential with a real chance of becoming a #2 WR in the NFL in a few years. He's also considered a good blocker for a WR which is something we value. I'd love to grab him in the 6th round.

Laurent Robinson senior year statistics at Illinois State

40 receptions, 718 receiving yards, 7 TDs

6'2, 199 lbs, 4.38 40 yard dash

Drafted Round = 4

Dominique Edison senior year statistics at Stephen F. Austin

67 receptions, 1,106 receiving yards, 18 TDs

6'2.5, 205 lbs, 4.42 40

Projected Round = 6-UDFA

These two are very similar receivers, except that Edison has no injury history or concerns and has more potential with a real chance of becoming a #2 WR in the NFL in a few years. He's also considered a good blocker for a WR which is something we value. I'd love to grab him in the 6th round.

good find, I wouldn't mind taking a flier on this guy...

A good trade for both teams I think. Robinson certainly has the potential to be a playmaker, something that St Louis is in dire need of.

I think it was clear he wouldn't have much of a future with the Falcons. With our WR core looking strong it just seemed he was expendable.

Incidentally I don't think Robinson will eventually pan out to be anything aother than average to slightly-above-average but there we go.

I also think people have underestimated the value of move up those spots. I think you can really find some nice players in rounds 5/6.

Robinson would have never beat out White, Jenkins, and HD, especially since he couldnt stay healthy. This was a good trade and after the extension of Jenkins and the season he had Robinson was not going to beat him for that #2 spot. It is time to move on people, get back to making those mock drafts, Draftnutz still has everyone beat with his mock draft. :P