Mock Draft with trades 4/6

Before I begin I will say that these trades are not entirely unrealistic -- the probabilities of them happening aren't high, but I think they could happen. I've become bored for now with just straight up mocks. I think trades, as long as the value is there, add a dimension of creativity to mocks.

Trade #1

The Cleveland Browns have gone on record saying that everyone on their roster is up for grabs except for D'Qwell Jackson and Joe Thomas. Two of the Browns biggest draft needs, considered "Urgent" by draft experts, are a WR to play opposite Braylon Edwards since Stallworth is done and a man-to-man cover CB to play opposite Eric Wright. We happen to have Chris Houston, a prototypical man-cover CB who is a misfit in our scheme, and Laurent Robinson, our #4 WR who has the potential to be a #2 if he stays healthy, and I deem both of them expendable. The only reasons why I deem both expendable is because A) there are a lot of CBs in the draft that fit our defense better than Houston and B) Robinson has potential but he has only moved his way down the depth chart in Atlanta and there is a WR very much like him in this draft that we can get with our 6th round pick. I hate to help out Mangini since I hate the guy, but this trade benefits us as well.

Atlanta Falcons trade: Chris Houston, CB and Kroy Biermann, DE/OLB

Cleveland Browns trade: Kamerion Wimbley, DE and Ahtyba Rubin, NT and a 4th round pick

Kamerion Wimbley is on the verge of being announced a 1st round bust despite posting 11 sacks 3 seasons ago as a rookie and 5 sacks and 20 QB pressures in 2007. His production has steadily gone down since his rookie season in Cleveland but in my opinion that is because he is not meant to be a 3-4 OLB. If all he had to do worry about was getting after the passer, I think he could be a double-digit sack artist every year. Wimbley is 6'4, 255 lbs, ran a 4.61 40 at the combine and has a vertical of 38.5 inches. He could spell John Abraham to try and keep him healthy, and he is the heir apparent at the RDE position. He could line up at LDE on passing situations and we would have one heck of a pass rush with Abraham and Wimbley coming from the ends. Rubin was a 6th round pick from last year's draft and is buried on Cleveland's depth chart at NT. We are thin along our DL and they are stacked there, so they are only losing some depth. Rubin is 6'3, 320 lbs and is a true run-stuffer. He won't generate much of a pass rush, but he could be very useful in goal line and short-yardage defenses. He could potentially become more than just a run-stuffer with coaching as well. Rubin can battle with Lewis for the 2009 season in which I imagine Lewis winning, but Rubin will provide a big body and good depth. He did 35 reps of 225 lbs at the Combine. We get a 4th rounder as well because Cleveland gets two starters that they really need who have a good deal of potential while we only get 1 starter and 1 depth player.

Trade #2

This is a much simpler trade and one that you have seen from me before. I've just about given up on Jamaal Anderson, not as a player, but as a fit for our system. Yes, he is strong against the run but he offers little to nothing in terms of a pass rush. He seems like a great fit in a 3-4 defense as a DE where the DEs only have to worry about taking up space and stopping the run. Meanwhile, there is a certain DE on the Kansas City Chiefs that is a perfect fit at LDE in a 4-3 that has no place in the 3-4: Tamba Hali. Hali is from the same draft as Wimbley, and played both DT and DE at Penn State. At 6'3, 275 lbs he runs a 4.71 40 and while he can stuff the run well he is also very good at rushing the passer. In his first 2 seasons in the NFL he had 15 sacks. In Anderson first 2 seasons in the NFL he had....2. Hali for some reason, like Wimbley, is now considered a bust because he had 3 sacks last year. His value is down because of his down year and now even further down because of a switch to the 3-4 defense. The Chiefs really have NO defensive linemen that fit the 3-4 defense and they really need a guy like Jamaal Anderson. The Chiefs need to compensate with a draft pick or movement in some rounds because we are basically helping them out even though we are getting what will be a good player in our system.

Atlanta Falcons trade: Jamaal Anderson, DE and 3rd round pick and later 5th round pick

Kansas City Chiefs trade: Tamba Hali, DE and 2nd round pick and 7th round pick

Trade #3

Atlanta Falcons give: 1st round pick and Ben Hartsock, TE

New York Jets give: 1st round pick (#17) and 7th rounder

The Jets top targets are WRs, RBs, and Jarron Gilbert. None of those are good values at #17. All of the WRs that are available at #17 will most likely be available at #24 (DHB, Britt, Nicks), there's a chance that Moreno and Wells are both available at #24, and Gilbert would be a much better value at #24 than at #17. In addition, a major need of the Jets is a blocking TE. Keller is basically a glorified WR in a TEs body. Rex Ryan wants to run the ball and Hartsock will help. Our offense did just fine without him even though I know he could help us next year, but I have a good plan to replace him and I really want that 7th rounder for a specific player.

Trade #4

Atlanta Falcons give: 2010 2nd round pick

Misc. Team gives: 2009 2nd round pick

We find a team that doesn't have many needs and their targets for their 2nd round pick are gone. We give them a 2nd round pick in a better draft to get their 2nd. I have a feeling that there will be a fallen player here that in our system could be a stud.

After these trades, our draft picks now are:

1) #17 overall

2a) #35 overall

2b) Falcons' normal 2nd rounder

2c) Misc. Team's 2nd rounder

4a) Cleveland's early pick

4b) Falcons' normal 4th rounder

5) Oakland's early pick

6) Falcons' normal 6th rounder

7a) KC's early pick

7b) Jets' early pick

Draft

1) Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

Oher is projected to go around here and we could really use an upgrade at RT. If we draft Oher, we can slide Clabo inside to RG and let him compete with Dahl for the starting job. Whoever wins that competition will be one heckuva RG for us. Oher would help keep Matt Ryan clean in pass protection and help us get a very good push in the run game for a very long time. Not to mention that if Baker gets hurt Oher can then slide over to LT, Clabo can slide out to RT and Dahl can take over RG.

2a) Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State

The perfect replacement for Hartsock and an all-around TE that will both help get a strong push in the run game and be an outlet for Matt Ryan in the passing game. He isn't really a mismatch kind of TE but he has good hands and will definitely help us move the chains. He is basically like having a 6th linemen that can catch the ball and gain yards after the catch as well. He is a great fit for what we need at TE.

2b) William Moore, S, Missouri

Had Moore declared as a junior he could have been the first safety off the board in the 1st round. A down year due to a position change and injuries has pushed him into the 2nd round. A healthy William Moore will be a stud S in the NFL. While we will need him to play up in the box at times like Lawyer did, he can also play to his strength in coverage and pick off some passes for us.

2c) Jairus Byrd, CB, Oregon

This move is just to be safe. Byrd is my favorite Cover 2 CB in the draft and if he lands in a Cover 2 he will not only be a Day 1 starter but also a stud. I think Jackson is ready to start, but if not he can compete with Grimes and Hutchins for the other CB spot. It might sound foolish to say that this rookie will come in Day 1 and start, but that just shows how much I believe in Byrd and how good I think he is. He is an interception machine and a willing run defender.

4a) Jason Williams, WLB, Western Illinois

Williams is a small school prospect that the Falcons' organization has scouted. He has a good build and is very fast for a LB. We have put an emphasis on adding speed to our LB core and we need our LBs to not only be fast but have coverage ability since we rely on a 4-man rush. Williams will come in as a ST player and LB depth, as he will back up both Peterson and Nicholas. He could be the heir to Peterson's spot in a couple years, but I have other plans for that position. If Nicholas doesn't work out after 09, then Williams can take his spot.

4b) Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama

Caldwell has a good combination of strength and athleticism and I like his program pedigree coming from the smash mouth running team of Alabama. I would love for Eric Wood to have been here, and if he is I would gladly take him, but he has been rising as of late and now looks like a 2nd/3rd round prospect. Caldwell can get NFL ready for a season behind McClure, learn our offense and get a little stronger, and then take over for a very long time. Caldwell also offers depth at OG if need be.

5) Lee Robinson, SLB, Alcorn State

This is one of my favorite players in the draft. He has a great combination of size, strength, and speed. He can take on pulling linemen and put them on their backs and at the same time run step for step with a TE in coverage, or even Wyoming's speedster Devin Moore. Robinson is the perfect developmental SLB prospect for our defense. He can learn behind Peterson for his 2 year contract and then take over for him when he is done. Robinson was a stud in college, literally a man amongst boys, and he proved he could play with and even outperform the big boys in pre-draft All Star games and practices.

6) Dominique Edison, WR, Stephen F. Austin

Low risk, very high reward. Edison reminds me of Laurent Robinson without the injuries. Last year he had over 1,000 receiving yards and 18 TDs. He is as tall as Laurent but bigger (6'2, 205 lbs) and just as fast (4.43 40 yard dash). He has great hands, leaping ability, speed, and is a good blocker. He has a ton of talent and could be a great #4 WR for us. He could develop into a very good #2 WR, which is what many people say about Laurent Robinson.

7a) Bradley Fletcher, CB, Iowa

Another player that the Falcons have looked into, and is also another one of my favorite Cover 2 CB prospects in this draft. Fletcher has very good size (6'1, 200 lbs) and very good speed (4.40 40). Fletcher is an ascending talent who had a breakout senior season at Iowa with 60 tackles, 10 PBUs and 3 INTs. He could develop into a star for us at CB, and could be a great nickel. With Byrd, Jackson, Fletcher, Hutchins and Grimes we have a great set of young CBs that all fit our defensive scheme.

7b) Nate Ness, S, Arizona

I had to find a way to add my favorite player from this draft into my mock. He is an interception machine that is also very good when coming up to play in the box. I actually have a hard time understanding why he is rated so low especially in a weak safety class. He didn't have the year that was expected from him after notching 5 INTs in 2007, but that was because he went from playing FS to playing almost solely in the box (much like William Moore). Ness is not someone like Moore who can come in and start Day 1, but after a season or two of working on the little things and being coached up I really think Ness could be a stud S in this league. I'm not very high on DeCoud, and I think that when Coleman moves on Ness can fill his shoes and we could have a great versatile and playmaking safety tandem of William Moore and Nate Ness. Then again he could also surprise and be the Chris Horton of this draft class, but even better.

2009 Depth Chart -- bold = starter, italics = acquired in a trade or drafted

QB: Ryan/Redman/Shockley

FB: Mughelli/Snelling

RB: Turner/Norwood/Brown

TE: Pettigrew/Peelle/Rader

WR: White/Jenkins/Douglas/Edison/Finneran

LT: Baker/Oher/Foster

LG: Blalock/Dahl

C: McClure/Caldwell

RG: Clabo/Dahl

RT: Oher/Clabo/Foster

RDE: Abraham/Wimbley

UT: Babineaux/Moorehead/Jefferson

NT: Lewis/Rubin

LDE: Hali/Davis

WLB: Nicholas/Williams

MLB: Lofton/Taylor

SLB: Peterson/Robinson/Wire

CB-1: Byrd/Hutchins/Grimes

FS: Coleman/Ness

SS: Moore/DeCoud

CB-2: Jackson/Fletcher/Sharpe

Obviously not all of these trades will happen, but the value is there in each trade and each trade makes sense for both teams. I'd love for ALL of these trades to happen. I think with this roster we could really be a contender in the NFC.

stopped reading after the first trade.

I like the work you have put in put a couple of points.

Houston has still to realise his potential, one more year, and then i will agree with you if it doesnt pan out.

Robinson has no trade value because of his injuries, and we know had good he can be...but only we do really. After a breakout year, we either keep or trade him.

This trade block has wheels next year, not now.. Just my opinion

I love everything except the fact that:

a.) you make our chances of getting Eric Berry slimmer by getting rid of that future 2nd, and when that draft class is as loaded as it is, I think that could be a big mistake (even if it doesn't go to trading up for Berry).

b.) some of those players aren't likely to fall to where you're picking them up (Oher, Pettigrew and probably Caldwell).

c.) Jason Williams is very much a SLB.

As you said, the likelihood of all of this happening is slim-to-none (as with any mock I guess ;)), but if it did I would be very happy. Nice work as usual DB.

I don't mind that you've put in trades, realistic or unrealistic. More interested in the picks.

I very much doubt Pettigrew will make it to our original #24 pick, let alone the second round. Also Byrd may not be there. I love the picks in themselves though. Love all those players.

I could live with the trades but where is the DLINE help............ DLine is a more pressing need that TE or C.....I like where we are drafting but 3 of the 6 selections I would change

We added 3 DLinemen in the trade scenarios.

I love everything except the fact that:

a.) you make our chances of getting Eric Berry slimmer by getting rid of that future 2nd, and when that draft class is as loaded as it is, I think that could be a big mistake (even if it doesn't go to trading up for Berry).

b.) some of those players aren't likely to fall to where you're picking them up (Oher, Pettigrew and probably Caldwell).

c.) Jason Williams is very much a SLB.

As you said, the likelihood of all of this happening is slim-to-none (as with any mock I guess ;)), but if it did I would be very happy. Nice work as usual DB.

a) Our chances of drafting Eric Berry next year aren't slimmer, they are non-existent. With William Moore, Thomas DeCoud, Nate Ness, and Erik Coleman we will not need to draft a safety for the next decade. I understand that you really like the guy, but Moore will be a steal in the 2nd.

B) In the latest NFL.com mocks Oher falls to 20 or 21. I have us moving up to #17 to get him. A landing place for him in a lot of mocks is San Diego, but I think they will go with either a RB or Mauluga, so he should fall right to us at #17. Pettigrew is now projected to be a mid-2nd round pick. The pick where I have us taking him is #35 overall, basically at the bottom of the 1st round. Caldwell is graded as a mid-rounder, so I don't see any problem with him going in the 4th.

c) Williams can play WLB for us. For our defense WLB and SLB are essentially interchangeable. The only difference is that one lines up on the strong side where the TE is if there is one. Both of them need to be able to drop back in coverage on pass plays and play the run well. He is very fast for a LB which makes him a very good candidate for the WLB spot for us. Neither of our OLBs blitz really ever.

I think of all these trades COULD happen if TD were to go out and talk to the Browns, Chiefs, Jets, etc. They all make sense for both teams, it's just that they probably won't happen.

As for someone else's comments about not upgrading the DL - I added two very good DEs via trades (Wimbley and Hali), and a run-stuffing NT via trade (Rubin). I don't really like any of the DTs in this draft aside from a small handful, but these trades allow me to use the draft picks in different areas where the players are stronger and fill other needs. Next year's draft class is loaded at DT (Suh, McCoy, Austin, Granger, Oghobaase, Odrick, Marsh, Williams, and many more). My personal favorite is Suh who would make our D-line scary.

stopped reading after the first trade.

I like the work you have put in put a couple of points.

Houston has still to realise his potential, one more year, and then i will agree with you if it doesnt pan out.

Robinson has no trade value because of his injuries, and we know had good he can be...but only we do really. After a breakout year, we either keep or trade him.

This trade block has wheels next year, not now.. Just my opinion

I think Robinson has trade value this offseason, especially with teams like the Browns, Jets, Giants, Titans, Jaguars, and Seahawks who are in dire need of some quality young WRs.

Good idea with all of the trade, if our draft went down like this we would be good, I have a little bit of doubt about the first two players falling to us, we may have to switch and get BP first then get a a RT like loadholt in the 2nd. But i like the idea especially the work on the Dline with the Ends.

Good idea with all of the trade, if our draft went down like this we would be good, I have a little bit of doubt about the first two players falling to us, we may have to switch and get BP first then get a a RT like loadholt in the 2nd. But i like the idea especially the work on the Dline with the Ends.

Thanks. I one of the 4 OTs will make it to #17, and Oher is the likeliest to fall. He is being projected in that 16-21 range now so #17 is a good spot for him. I would not mind getting Loadholt at all, I think Oher would be a better RT but Loadholt certainly fits our power running scheme. I think we can get at least one if not both of those DEs in a trade. The Browns made a statement that they are willing to part with Wimbley and I don't think his stock is really that high in Cleveland right now - many are calling him a bust. Hali just has no place in a 3-4 and the Chiefs would be wise to get a DL for him that fits in it nicely.

On the contrary, the trades are entirely unrealistic

Please be a tad bit more specific. Why are the trades unrealistic? What about their value is off? Do both teams not benefit?

Wow we got ripped off...

I'm guessing that TD is targeting specific players otherwise he really gave up a lot of value for a recent 3rd round draft choice that has flashed big-play ability.

A very good trade for the Rams, and we will have to see how good it was for us come draft day.

I think my trade was a bit better :D as well as the rest of them, don't ya think?

I'm guessing that TD is targeting specific players otherwise he really gave up a lot of value for a recent 3rd round draft choice that has flashed big-play ability.

A very good trade for the Rams, and we will have to see how good it was for us come draft day.

I think my trade was a bit better :D as well as the rest of them, don't ya think?

lol **** yea. We better get some legit players with those picks lol, cuz Robinson has the potential to be a true #1 for the Rams.

lol **** yea. We better get some legit players with those picks lol, cuz Robinson has the potential to be a true #1 for the Rams.

I think we can still get Wimbley if we give up Chris Houston.

I would not mind giving up Houston and Biermann for Wimbley and Rubin. I think that trade would greatly benefit both teams.

Don't trade Kroy, take out the fourth you have going to us instead

Chiefs don't have second round pick

Hartsock doesn't have that much value

Like the ideas of targeting Wimbley and Hali though

I'd rather trade Kroy and get a 4th since we are getting Wimbley meaning Kroy would never play.

I forgot the Chiefs don't have a 2nd.

I think the Jets could take Gilbert at #17 but that would be a reach for him, taking him at #24 would be a better value, for less money, and they add the blocking TE they so desperately need. It's a great trade for them as well.

I'd rather keep Kroy, if we're trading jamaal then we could hypothetically have a killer DE rotation of

RDE- Abe/Wimbley/Kroy

LDE- Hali/Davis/Kroy

Kroy would have to be traded in order to get Wimbley imo, and the trade is well worth it. We still have Fraser and Evans for depth. Kroy would never play if we traded for Wimlbey too - Abe and Wimlbey would rotate at RDE and Hali and Davis at LDE. Anyone else would be for depth purposes only.