The Main Reason why we shouldn't draft

hakim24

Position switch.

I think he will be an excellent player for a team as a MLB/ILB, but It is ALWAYS a toss up when a player is changing positions. We need someone who we KNOW can come in and be productive and has a good understanding and foundation about their position.

JL could become a good OLB, but it can take it might be a learning curve in there that we can't afford right now. It might not, but it's always a risk when you take a guy who will have to change his natural spot.

I do not want ANYBODY who will have to change positions in the 1st round..... I don't care how good they were in college....point blank.

My Reasoning is mainly because we need to sustain our success and when a player changes positions, they have to learn. We do not have to go 11-5, but I do not want to step back to 6-10 and have confidence shaken and turn into the Brown's.

It is all about sustaining success and My take is to not select ANY player who has to change positions in the top 2 rounds because it jeopardizes our current success. JL was just a favorite on the board and i'm not trying to just single him out, but he is one of those guys who we just do not know about as a OLB.

Don't get me wrong, there have been very good players who have changed positions from college to the Pros.... a bunch of them. But we are at a point where we do not need to take a major step back because of waiting on them to learn. We need guys to come in at positions of need and already have a good feel for how to play it.

Position switch.

I think he will be an excellent player for a team as a MLB/ILB, but It is ALWAYS a toss up when a player is changing positions. We need someone who we KNOW can come in and be productive and has a good understanding and foundation about their position.

JL could become a good OLB, but it can take it might be a learning curve in there that we can't afford right now. It might not, but it's always a risk when you take a guy who will have to change his natural spot.

I do not want ANYBODY who will have to change positions in the 1st round..... I don't care how good they were in college....point blank.

My Reasoning is mainly because we need to sustain our success and when a player changes positions, they have to learn. We do not have to go 11-5, but I do not want to step back to 6-10 and have confidence shaken and turn into the Brown's.

It is all about sustaining success and My take is to not select ANY player who has to change positions in the top 2 rounds because it jeopardizes our current success. JL was just a favorite on the board and i'm not trying to just single him out, but he is one of those guys who we just do not know about as a OLB.

Don't get me wrong, there have been very good players who have changed positions from college to the Pros.... a bunch of them. But we are at a point where we do not need to take a major step back because of waiting on them to learn. We need guys to come in at positions of need and already have a good feel for how to play it.

Its not like he's converting to CB. He is only moving over 1 spot where he would learn under Peterson and have limited play in his 1st year anyway.

Its not like he's converting to CB. He is only moving over 1 spot where he would learn under Peterson and have limited play in his 1st year anyway.

we need a starter. I don't even care if we feel it is a reach. We need somebody to fill a void right away and I don't think JL, Evander Hood , and guys like that are capable.

How is this different from the umpteen other ******** threads you've posted on the same subject? Get over it.

I NEVER posted a thread about picking up guys who have changed positions and seem to be first rounders.

This isn't just about Laurinitis. It's about Evander Hood, Connar Barwin, and a few other guys that have been mentioned as picks for us.

I agree, especially since we have serious questions about our starting NT and FS, and really need another edge rusher...

And what I am trying to say is that we do not have room to be training guys at new positions.

At this point, I would even take Delmas with the 24th because he would FILL a need. You know I would rather William Moore, but those two guys know their positions and can come in and start right away.

I do not think JL could start at WLB from day one.

I do not think Evander Hood is the true NT that we need.

I do not think Clay Matthews is a 4-3 LBer.

I do not think Connor Barwin has a true position.

These guys have all been mentioned as picks for us. Everybody has their own opinion, but none of those guys are ready to start from day one if they joined our team and I do not think we should take a chance on any of them.

IYO you might not think he can play OLB, but his drills (other than the 40) say otherwise, As does Mayock who is a pretty good judge of who can play what. I agree with not really liking to draft a player who has to switch positions, but at the same time i think he can play on the outside and i think he can be very effective.

IYO you might not think he can play OLB, but his drills (other than the 40) say otherwise, As does Mayock who is a pretty good judge of who can play what. I agree with not really liking to draft a player who has to switch positions, but at the same time i think he can play on the outside and i think he can be very effective.

i never said he couldn't play OLB, just that him as an every down OLB is not worth a first rounder because of a couple of factors (not just the 40 time). You have to look at him as two different players here. JL the ILB is worth a 1st, but JL is not worth a first as an OLB IMO.

I really dont think that it is absolutely necessary that we get a starter with our first pick. Even if we get a pure OLB, it is no guarantee that they will start. IF we get a CB, they might not start, a DT, they might not start, A SAfety, they might not start, A OL, they might not start. I think that we need a player that can have an impact whether they start or not. I think that the positions that are likely to have the most impact are TE, DE, DT, CB, meaning that if a players is selected that plays one of these positions is going to get enough playing time whether they start or not to have an impact for the team. My vote goes To DE.

I really dont think that it is absolutely necessary that we get a starter with our first pick. Even if we get a pure OLB, it is no guarantee that they will start. IF we get a CB, they might not start, a DT, they might not start, A SAfety, they might not start, A OL, they might not start. I think that we need a player that can have an impact whether they start or not. I think that the positions that are likely to have the most impact are TE, DE, DT, CB, meaning that if a players is selected that plays one of these positions is going to get enough playing time whether they start or not to have an impact for the team. My vote goes To DE.

Brandon Pettigrew will start 16 games a year if he stays injury-free.

...are his awful footwork, general slowness, and overall lack of talent.

hmm I think saying lack of talent is just ridiculous. If he really didn't have any talent no-one would even be considering him in the 1st round this year, let along a top-15 pick last year.

...are his awful footwork, general slowness, and overall lack of talent.

I do believe that JL will be a very productive LB, he may not be a superstar, but he kind of reminds of KB. I am not going to knock him, but I just feel like LB is not something we need to address until the later rounds in the draft.

I need you to use your imagination.

Pretend you are a MLB. A **** good one. Place yourself at his position on the field...

...now move yourself to the right a few feet, and tell me what exactly is so hard about changing linebacker positions?

"But they ask you to do different things!"

Yes, and JL was asked to do ALL of those things at OSU.

"But, you have to drop into coverage!"

He can do that with ease, having done it quite a bit at OSU as you can see in this clip

"BUT HE'S SLOOOOOOOOOW!"

His 10 yd dash and 3-cone drill (important lb drill) is faster than Boley's, so he's even an upgrade in that area.

So tell me, again, why exactly Laurinaitis can't do it?