Why Matt Ryan ISN'T overrated

thempizzle

After reading the two posts about how Matty Ice is overrated and not a great QB, just a good one... I can't help but chuckle.

He did have average numbers. He did have the 2nd leading rusher on his team (perhaps the reason his numbers weren't so high) and he did turn the ball over a couple of times on the biggest stage of his career.

None of that which in any way hinders my belief that he will be one of the all-time greats this league has ever seen.

His average numbers are a result of the system we run and our immense concentration on running the football. If Michael Turner played for the Saints ( :\ ) and was the 2nd leading rusher in the league, there is no way Brees puts up the numbers he does either.

Look at number-heavy QBs... they are all on run-challenged teams. (Warner, Brady, Brees, Manning)...

I don't want numbers if it means taking away our balance.

--

He has the 'it' factor. He has that will to claw and scratch and do whatever it takes to win games. The video clip of the huddle in the bears game before he threw the pass to Jenkins clearly shows Matt telling the team that they were going to win the game. He has the utmost confidence in himself and in his teammates. He has the rarest of the rarest when it comes to leadership skills.

Nobody in the league has him beat in the character department.

This is probably the biggest reason of them all that Matt has been so successful. He has the brains and the personality to put it all together and compete. He defines the word 'competitor'.

--

Remarkable talent.

3rd and 16.

3rd and 12.

Doesn't matter. For the first time in a very very long time as a Falcon fan, I was never worried about not being able to get a first down. In fact, I was surprised every time Matty threw an incompletion on 3rd down.

He made throws on a consistent basis that left me scratching my head, in a good way. He can ZING it. He can bomb it. He can throw curls. He can throw outs. HE CAN DO ANYTHING.

Anyone who says that Matt Ryan is overrated did not watch enough Matt Ryan last season. They obviously didn't watch him will the team with his leadership each and every time the team went out to compete.

It is absurd to call him overrated. He isn't.

He isn't overrated.

He isn't underrated.

He's Matt Ryan. He's the truth. The future.

Best of all... He's a falcon.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching the 2nd Saints game at the superdome and being in complete utter amazement at how much of a beast he was that game. He completely demolished their secondary the entire game (can't remember if we won or not) but that was the point I was like holy **** this guy is going to be a machine.

He is a tad bit overrated and falcon fans are getting way out of hand by overrating him and the falcons this year.

He may get too much credit for our success, but I don't think that should be considered the same thing as being overrated. QB's always get more blame and more praise than anyone. Sure Turner was great, but Matt Ryan made a lot of plays that a lot of QB's couldn't have. Matt Ryan single-handedly won the Bears game, it was a passing clinic. Turner was shut down pretty much all game. Matt Ryan should have won the Denver game with that perfect throw to Roddy in the endzone. He also won the second Saints game for us, our special teams just blew it on the following kickoff. Matt Ryan is not a great QB right now, he is very good, but I think people are more excited about the fact that in a few years, he should be one of the best in the league. He's just getting his praise a little early. In closing...

He da Man.

Guest Gritz
He is a tad bit overrated and falcon fans are getting way out of hand by overrating him and the falcons this year.

....and yet you never seem to be overrated by anyone on here.

You deliver exactly what we expect from you.

I remember watching the 2nd Saints game at the superdome and being in complete utter amazement at how much of a beast he was that game. He completely demolished their secondary the entire game (can't remember if we won or not) but that was the point I was like holy **** this guy is going to be a machine.

Hold up, Gus Frerotte torched the Saints secondary too. ;)

Ronde Barber said he would be the standard in 2 to 3 years.

I think that says it all right there..... The endorsement of one of the game's best DB's counts for at least 1,000,000,000,000 opinions from MB haters.

Great post, BTW......

For the first time in a while, we have a future to be excited about.... Even if we are unable to get a decent defense put together and we take a slight step back this season, in the big picture, I see this team being incredibly competitive, year after year, for many years to come....

The core of this team is young, and Burner Turner, despite his age, essentially has "second-year" legs, as he was hardly used in SD.... The O-Line looked great, and the longer they gel together, the better they will get....... Roddy White is, IMO, one of the best young WR's in the game today, and Jenks and HD seem to be great 2nd and 3rd options at WR..... On the offensive side of the ball, we are set for as long as we can keep these guys together....

As for the defense... Well...... Rome wasn't built in one offseason, nor will our defense.....

TD and Coach Smith have VERY specific ideas about the type of player they want at each defensive position, and it may take a while to get all the right pieces in place.... TD is not gonna pull a Rich McKay panic-move and plug in the wrong high-priced FA just for the sake of plugging a hole and making fans happy.... When this defense does come together, I imagine it will be a lot like the defenses that Coach Smith has been involved with in the past (Baltimore and Jacksonville)..... Big, mean, hard-hitting and intimidating defenses, as opposed to the emphasis on speed and athleticism we have seen for years...... Frankly, I can't wait to have a defense that scares the crap out of opposing offenses ala Ravens and Jags..... B)

Matt Ryan did it better, though. The one throw while he was back peddeling, oh my God, I've never seen a better throw, well except for like 3 other Matt Ryan throws last year.

Throwing floaters off the back foot is not a good thing. Goes to show haow bad our pass D is though.

And BTW, Jason David even had an INT. ^_^

Throwing floaters off the back foot is not a good thing. Goes to show haow bad our pass D is though.

And BTW, Jason David even had an INT. ^_^

His only mistake in that game was that interception, which probably cost us the game because we were moving down the field to score.

I wouldn't call that pass a floater, as much as he just knew what he was doing and wouldn't have thrown it if he didn't know he could complete it.

He is a bust.. didnt win the superbowl the first season.. ******.

I mean he didnt even have a sack ffs and he was chosen with the third overall pick!! If thats not bust for ya, I dont know what is.. oh wait.. who are we talkin bout again?

Love it !!!!!!

In think the azzclownz saying he is overrated are saying it because they themsleves think he's one of the best rookie QBs the NFL has ever seen, but they have internal struggles coming to grips with reality so they start threads about why they think they themselves have overrated him.

I certainly haven't overrated him, so I assume it's the posters that say he is overrated are the ones overrating him.