Do not Sleep on James Laurinaitis

I am starting to get a feeling that he is going to be our pick. The USC linebackers and Jerry will be off the board at 24. He hasn't been scheduled for a visit which means that the falcons are not trying to tip their hands. Laurinaitis is also getting a lot of interests from the Patriots and TItans. Laurinaitis seems like and MIke Smith and TD type of pick; poor combine and workout numbers but excellent college production. Mike Mayock predicted this pick on the NFLN when he broke down the falcons and their pick. In my opinion the falcons would benefit from all of the teams that are switiching to a 3-4. James is clearly a 4-3 linebacker with few teams still running the defense. Their is an outside posibility that he will get drafted by the Colts.

Maybe that feeling is just something you ate. lol. We don't need a MLB and he is not fast enough to play outside. Neither is Lofton. If we take a LB first it will be from USC. Most likely it would be Natthews because he looks to be a 3 down outside LB. Could maybe be Cushing but I'm not sure if he is a 3 down LB. He might be on the strong side.

I am starting to get a feeling that he is going to be our pick. The USC linebackers and Jerry will be off the board at 24. He hasn't been scheduled for a visit which means that the falcons are not trying to tip their hands. Laurinaitis is also getting a lot of interests from the Patriots and TItans. Laurinaitis seems like and MIke Smith and TD type of pick; poor combine and workout numbers but excellent college production. Mike Mayock predicted this pick on the NFLN when he broke down the falcons and their pick. In my opinion the falcons would benefit from all of the teams that are switiching to a 3-4. James is clearly a 4-3 linebacker with few teams still running the defense. Their is an outside posibility that he will get drafted by the Colts.

I find it hard to believe that TD and the FO would hide anything. They will pick the position of need rather than the best player available. If the USC LBs and Jerry are gone, I could see the Falcons dropping out of the 1st or lower in the 1st and fill CB and SS.

I do agree with you that JL is a 4-3 LB that could fit our system, but the lack of speed is what scares me. He has to be able to cover TE and slots. I am not sold on JL just yet, but I have been wrong before. ;)

Maybe that feeling is just something you ate. lol. We don't need a MLB and he is not fast enough to play outside. Neither is Lofton. If we take a LB first it will be from USC. Most likely it would be Natthews because he looks to be a 3 down outside LB. Could maybe be Cushing but I'm not sure if he is a 3 down LB. He might be on the strong side.

I tend to disagree. Laurinaitis has the same intangibles as Matt Ryan and would be an excellent pick up for us if he's still on the board at 24. From everything I've seen and read about him I tend to think he could play the weak side in our system.

I tend to disagree. Laurinaitis has the same intangibles as Matt Ryan and would be an excellent pick up for us if he's still on the board at 24. From everything I've seen and read about him I tend to think he could play the weak side in our system.

I agree that he has nice intangibles, but I still worry about his speed and other physical skills...

I agree that he has nice intangibles, but I still worry about his speed and other physical skills...

I was just about to say this word for word. I think JL will make a really good MLB but I don't think he has the speed to play OLB. And it would be the strong side if he did, not the weakside where he'll have to be in coverage a lot more. Same thing with Lofton. He is a very good MLB but is too slow to play outside. They are very similar players imo.

I don't see it, like someone already said, MLB is not a need and he or Lofton aren't quick enough for outside. The speed they do have is straight ahead speed. If Cush or Matthews are gone, with either trade down, or take English (if available) I think we're going to end up with a couple of extra picks in the second and third. Second round picks are gold.

Players with the nice intangibles tend to put the work in that is necessary to reach the next level. People don't realize how we got lucky last year with Ryan, it's extremely rare that a rookie would be named to the Pro Bowl especially a QB. Most players have to work their tails off for a number of years to get to that level.

Is he the best athlete at linebacker? Definitely not. But I bet he will turn out to be the best pro. The kid reminds me of a young Brian Urlacher with his mental approach to the game.

Players with the nice intangibles tend to put the work in that is necessary to reach the next level. People don't realize how we got lucky last year with Ryan, it's extremely rare that a rookie would be named to the Pro Bowl especially a QB. Most players have to work their tails off for a number of years to get to that level.

Is he the best athlete at linebacker? Definitely not. But I bet he will turn out to be the best pro. The kid reminds me of a young Brian Urlacher with his mental approach to the game.

Matt Ryan wasn't named to the Pro Bowl, so I guess it is still rare.

Sure, if Warner would have not been a ***** and dropped out he would have went... but that's not the same.

I don't see it, like someone already said, MLB is not a need and he or Lofton aren't quick enough for outside. The speed they do have is straight ahead speed. If Cush or Matthews are gone, with either trade down, or take English (if available) I think we're going to end up with a couple of extra picks in the second and third. Second round picks are gold.

I said that. :D I just wanted the credit. lol. Nah, I just wanted to agree with you about 2nd rounders being gold. I would love to trade down and have 3 second rounders. That would be the best case scenario. I would love to draft Matthews but I think we could get a lot better with three 2nd rounders.

I said that. :D I just wanted the credit. lol. Nah, I just wanted to agree with you about 2nd rounders being gold. I would love to trade down and have 3 second rounders. That would be the best case scenario. I would love to draft Matthews but I think we could get a lot better with three 2nd rounders.

Yeah, there are a few guys in the first I would like to have, Matthews being one of them, but if we could get a few extra picks, I know TD has some good players in mind that will work out in the second and third rounds. And Delmas will probably be there in the second and I'm very interested in him, professionally speaking.

I use to hate on JL saying he was too slow to play OLB and all that, but now i think he can play. He had the fastest 3 cone drill for LB's i believe and Mayock said he could play OLB. The only reason why i would not want to draft him. Besides the question mark about being able to switch to OLB is his ability to pass rush. I think it is important to get someone who can pass rush with either our 1st or 2nd pick. Whether it be a LB like Matthews or someone like English who will most likely play DE.

IF we do get Laurinaitis with our first then we will need to get someone like Sidbury in the 2nd.

We need LB'ers that can get off blocks quickly and who can cover lots of ground. yes he's strong in coverage but no he is not a good fit. Also I definitely think he could play in the right 3-4 system (patriots) where he would be freed up by wilfork to take on ball carriers

We need LB'ers that can get off blocks quickly and who can cover lots of ground. yes he's strong in coverage but no he is not a good fit. Also I definitely think he could play in the right 3-4 system (patriots) where he would be freed up by wilfork to take on ball carriers

He'd be free in our system by having Trey Lewis or another wide body playing the 1 technique in front of him. And he's about a perfect fit you'll find at linebacker in this draft.

As I have said in the original post, you have to listen to TD and MIke smith. The constant statement that Mike Smith make is a "players's DNA is on the coaches tape". He means that regardles of measurables, speed, and TV Hype the only thing that matters is the production of a player on the field. Laurinaitis was a top ten pick last year but this year he is barely a first rounder due to all of the 3-4 teams. Blank personally interviewed Laurinaitis at the combine. That is all that I need to Know!