Clay Mathews?

What position would Clay play in our system WLB or SLB?? If he is a WLB there is no use drafting him because i think we are set for years at WLB because of Nicholas. Thoughts??

He could play either position IMO, but to say were set for years cause we got nicholas thats a bit of an over statement don't you think

What position would Clay play in our system WLB or SLB?? If he is a WLB there is no use drafting him because i think we are set for years at WLB because of Nicholas. Thoughts??

WTF !

Is this thread about Mathews or Nicholas ?

The description is about Mathews.

Please get on point or edit the description.

I don't like Matthews in the 1st at all. Is he really that good a football player? People always talk about his "bloodlines" and his work ethic....but how talented is he really? Over the course of the season people talked about Maualaga and Cushing but not really about Matthews. What has he actually shown on the football field to say he will be a star?

As for Nicholas I have high hopes for him, but there is absolutely nothing certain about how he will pan out as a starter.

I don't like Matthews in the 1st at all. Is he really that good a football player? People always talk about his "bloodlines" and his work ethic....but how talented is he really? Over the course of the season people talked about Maualaga and Cushing but not really about Matthews. What has he actually shown on the football field to say he will be a star?

As for Nicholas I have high hopes for him, but there is absolutely nothing certain about how he will pan out as a starter.

I watched a lot of usc this year and Clay showed up all the time, he was very disruptive in teh backfield a great tackler. He was often a lot more noticeable than cush who is a i'm good at everything LB but will never be great at anything IMO. Just the fact that he cracked USC's lineup should be testment enough he can play they have great linebackers and he was a walk on.

Just a couple of days ago I read somewhere, can't remember where, that Peterson was going to be the WLB and Coy and Nicholas was going to compete for the SLB position. I wish I could remember where I read this at. Sorry for no link but I read it somewhere. If this is true then we would need a replacement for Peterson. I think if we drafted Matthews he could sit for a little while behind Peterson but maybe earn the spot late this year or next year. If we draft Matthews I would think it would be for the WLB and if we draft Cushing then I think it would be for the SLB. Then again, TD might just draft Hood, Jerry or Pettigrew.

SLB is usually covered by a road grading RT and sometimes a TE. They have to be able to take on blocks and shed them better than a WLB who usually doesn't have to deal with larger linemen.

and because of this, I'd rather have cushing at SLB...

Mathews strikes me as an every down WLB with the versatility to occasionally play some SLB

Mathews strikes me as an every down WLB with the versatility to occasionally play some SLB

We would be drafting Matthews for the WLB anyway. I wish I had the link but I don't remember where I read that Peterson is expected to play WLB and Coy and Nicholas will be battling for the SLB. That means we will need Peterson's replacement from this draft. I wish I remembered where I read this. It was 3 or 4 days ago. I'll try to find it.

Couldn't find it. I believe we will draft Matthews to eventually replace Peterson though. Then Peterson will be added depth for all three spots. Just what I believe.

We would be drafting Matthews for the WLB anyway. I wish I had the link but I don't remember where I read that Peterson is expected to play WLB and Coy and Nicholas will be battling for the SLB. That means we will need Peterson's replacement from this draft. I wish I remembered where I read this. It was 3 or 4 days ago. I'll try to find it.

Couldn't find it. I believe we will draft Matthews to eventually replace Peterson though. Then Peterson will be added depth for all three spots. Just what I believe.

wouldn't mind seeing that link if you can find it. Everything I've seen leads me to believe he'll be our SLB with Nicholas at WLB. Not that this distinction matters a whole lot in our scheme, but it is interesting...

Because of his safety pedigree, he makes a great fit at SLB for sure, I like him at WLB, and Cush at SLB. If Rey was on the board, i wouldn't have a problem with him coming in and playing SLB either... if TD and Smitty see potential there

Wait you wouldn't want the guy who rushed the passer going up against Tackles and TE's in college playing SLB.

He can play both I still don't see anyway he makes it to us. Especially with the patriots drafting right before us.

wouldn't mind seeing that link if you can find it. Everything I've seen leads me to believe he'll be our SLB with Nicholas at WLB. Not that this distinction matters a whole lot in our scheme, but it is interesting...

Man, I wish I could find it but I can't. I read so much crap, I have no idea where it was. I'll keep l;ooking when I can because it surprised me too. I was assuming along with everyone else that Nicholas was going to play SLB and Nicholas was going to compete with a draft pick at WLB. It was the only thing thast I've read that actually named positions. Everythng else just says outside. Never stated weakside or strongside. I'll keep looking. I want to find it too because I don't remember where it was from so who knows if it's concrete or not.