We need a true OLB

Here is what we need a true outside linebacker insted of a MLB playing outside.....Getting Mike Peterson was a bad move since he hasn't been good since he was 28 year old. Get a DT or a OLD that can help Curtis Lofton!!!!

Are you kidding me. Dude has been good for a long time. That statement makes it seem like you haven;t ever seen him play. Dude is still fast and hits like a mule. Have you not seen the Jaq's defenses over the last 5 years. Up until last year they have been rock solid. He is also a team leader and was a defensive captain before he had the falling out with Del Rio last year. This just makes me shake my head and wonder about some of the posters on here sometimes. All that being said, we do need to draft a true OLB this year but to develop behind Peterson at the weakside spot and maybe compete to take it over at some point in the season.

Clay Matthews seems to be the right fit for a 3 down linebacker. He doesn't look like a roid man, but he did reconfigure his body while at SC.

I bet his daddy will kick his butt if he did something stupid. Cushing kinda looks to be the more likely candidate for the juice, but if he's clean, he's a stud.

Peterson is OK in the short term while we see how a rookie and Nicholas pan out. He is also good insurance for Lofton at MLB.

Are you kidding me. Dude has been good for a long time. That statement makes it seem like you haven;t ever seen him play. Dude is still fast and hits like a mule. Have you not seen the Jaq's defenses over the last 5 years. Up until last year they have been rock solid. He is also a team leader and was a defensive captain before he had the falling out with Del Rio last year. This just makes me shake my head and wonder about some of the posters on here sometimes. All that being said, we do need to draft a true OLB this year but to develop behind Peterson at the weakside spot and maybe compete to take it over at some point in the season.

Couldn't have said it better!

.....and in my humble opinion, that guy's name is CLAY MATTHEWS JR. B)

.................But we will see what the "competent" minds at Flowery Branch think about this subject...... We might just have a diamond in the rough in WLB ROBERT JAMES. We already know TD made some pretty good pick-ups on Day Two, and Robert James was picked right between Thomas DeCoud and Kroy Bierman.....

"He's sort of a smaller run-and-hit linebacker," General Manager Thomas Dimitroff said.

From atlantafalcons.com :

"Nicknamed "The Beast" by teammates for his reckless abandon on the field, James finally got an opportunity to start as a senior and did not disappoint. He helped the team improve from being ranked 51st in the nation in total defense (327.85 yards per game) in 2006 to 30th nationally in 2007 (345.15). He led the team in tackles with a career-high 106 during his final campaign, earning All-American and All-Pac 10 Conference recognition.

The Sun Devils' Most Valuable Defensive Player (2007) played at nearby Maryvale High School before arriving on ASU's campus. He lettered four times in football and twice in track, earning second-team All-City honors as a defensive back and first-team accolades at running back. He was also an All-City honoree in track as a sophomore.

In 2007, James was nearly unstoppable.

He led the Sun Devils with 62 solo tackles, getting to the quarterback 2.5 times with 9.5 stops for losses and a pair of pressures. He caused a fumble, broke up three passes and intercepted four others."

Guy is a bit undersized, but reminds me a bit of a DeMorrio Williams/Derrick Brooks-type Will Backer..... Now I'm not saying he is headed to the Hall of Fame before he plays a down, but the guy seems to have that "motor" that plays full speed for an entire game... Probably has a chip on his shoulder since many people doubt he is big enough to play the Will in the NFL...... But watching film on the guy, he was knocking snot bubbles out of his victims..... The guy is quick, the guy is tough, the guy is a hard worker, and the guy hits like a truckload of bricks considering the fact he is only 220 lbs......

the big question is, can he recover from the injury and show the same explosive burst off the snap that he showed in college..... If he is healed up and has a good camp, I think he could be our prototypical WLB in our version of the Cover2.....

That possibly gives us two jackhammers that relentlessly attack the ball, hit and intimidate on the second level.........

Which brings us to the Sam spot...............

I've already written a novel on Clay Matthews Jr. here, so I wont get 2 deep again, but he seems like the perfect answer to shore up the LBs.... The guy has "Pro Bowls" in his DNA, his work ethic is second to none (walk on who eventually became a starter on best defense in the Nation).... Not to mention he is an absolute monster, and despite his size, he has quickness and agility that is absolutely mind-blowing....

If we can draft Clay Matthews, Jr., and slowly ease him in while Coy Wire or Stephen Nicholas take the majority of the snaps on the strong side early on............ The future would look pretty **** bright for our LB's... Either way, LB is going to be the group to watch in TC.... The competition is gonna get pretty heated under that Georgia Sun.... B)

Plus, we would have Mike Peterson who can play all three spots and knows the system inside out, he can be rotating to different spots helping ALL of our young LBs understand how to get the most out of Mike Smith's defense....

There is NO telling who we will pick, or who will win the spots in TC............

But in the future (2 or 3 years up the road), I would like to see:

WLB: ROBERT JAMES

MLB: CURTIS LOFTON

SLB: CLAY MATTHEWS, JR.

............Tell me that wouldn't be a LB group that would scare any offense in the League a year or two up the road..............

Oh well.... that's just how I see it....

Regardless of WHO we take or what we do (move up, down, diagonal, sideways) I will cheer for our pick because I will be 90% sure TD and Co. did their homework and got it right.....

****, I cant wait until the draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've wanted peterson for a while now. during the middle of the season, if anyone remembers, i had him in one of my early mock offseasons.

personally, i think smith can get a lot out of peterson still. he's a leader and a veteran that knows this system inside-out. he's not as slow as some people would think he is just because he was an ILB. we wouldn't have gotten him if we had known he'd be strictly an inside linebacker. he hits hard for an outside linebacker which makes up for his lack of 'prototypical OLB' speed. he plays hard and he works hard... that's enough to ask for IMO. as long as he's not as slow as brooking, we're good. because he's a definite upgrade over keith.

as long as he's not as slow as brooking, we're good. because he's a definite upgrade over keith.

You may be right...... Assuming he's on the field, of course..... The guy has missed a LOT of games over the past three seasons..... The dude could run a 4.2 and hit like Ray Lewis in his prime, but it won't mean a whole lot if he spends half the season in his street clothes.

2007 (JAGUARS)

Was inactive for the final six games of the season and Jacksonville’s playoff contest after undergoing surgery from a broken right hand suffered against San Diego on November 18.

2006 (JAGUARS)

Started five games and posted 47 tackles (27 solo) before suffering a torn left pectoral muscle on October 8 against the New York Jets.

Was placed on injured reserve on October 11.

Now I'm sure TD consulted the medical staff and felt good enough about his health to bring him in, but I am definately concerned about missing 18 games over two seasons, combined with his age..... I honestly do not expect this guy to play a lot of snaps..... I think the wheels would fall off... I think he was brought in to mentor the youngstas in the system and back-up all three spots.... I just don't think the guy has much left in the tank...... I hope I am wrong, but either way, it will be good to have his leadership and knowlege of the defense...

We shall see what we shall see...............

He isn't getting younger which most likely means he is getting slower. He hasn't played OLB in quite awhile from what I've read and he hasn't played a full season in a few years. I hope I'm wrong b/c I wish the best for our team but I'm not sold on the Peterson pickup and agree we need to use an early pick on an OLB.

He isn't getting younger which most likely means he is getting slower. He hasn't played OLB in quite awhile from what I've read and he hasn't played a full season in a few years. I hope I'm wrong b/c I wish the best for our team but I'm not sold on the Peterson pickup and agree we need to use an early pick on an OLB.

I understand the concerns about his age but he still plays at a high level and he is only a bridge for a year or two. He is here for leadership too for our young LB's. We still have to draft one but if Peterson starts, which I think there is no question that he will, we won't have anything to worry about because the dude is still a beast. He said he has cross trained his entire time in Jacksonville so the change back is no problem whatsoever since he did it in practice all the time. He also said he played some OLB last year too. He still has plenty of speed and a lot left. He is not quite the player he was 2 or 3 years ago but he still has a ton left. I've seen this guy play a lot over the last 3 or 4 years and he is dominate. Still. I do think we draft one to compete with him and if it is a first rounder like Matthews then I would not be surprised if Matthews overtakes his spot sometime during the season. That's just how good I think Matthews will be and not any knock whatsoever on Peterson. I love this pickup because I kave seen the dude fly around the field. Anyway, he is just to gap the time before a draft pick takes over. Preferable Clay Matthews Jr.

You may be right...... Assuming he's on the field, of course..... The guy has missed a LOT of games over the past three seasons..... The dude could run a 4.2 and hit like Ray Lewis in his prime, but it won't mean a whole lot if he spends half the season in his street clothes.

good point

I understand the concerns about his age but he still plays at a high level and he is only a bridge for a year or two. He is here for leadership too for our young LB's. We still have to draft one but if Peterson starts, which I think there is no question that he will, we won't have anything to worry about because the dude is still a beast. He said he has cross trained his entire time in Jacksonville so the change back is no problem whatsoever since he did it in practice all the time. He also said he played some OLB last year too. He still has plenty of speed and a lot left. He is not quite the player he was 2 or 3 years ago but he still has a ton left. I've seen this guy play a lot over the last 3 or 4 years and he is dominate. Still. I do think we draft one to compete with him and if it is a first rounder like Matthews then I would not be surprised if Matthews overtakes his spot sometime during the season. That's just how good I think Matthews will be and not any knock whatsoever on Peterson. I love this pickup because I kave seen the dude fly around the field. Anyway, he is just to gap the time before a draft pick takes over. Preferable Clay Matthews Jr.

I don't think he was a bad pickup by any means I'm just not sold on the fact he is our answer at OLB. I hope he is and he very well might be for the next couple of years. I was a big Brooking fan and until this guy plays better than Brooking did last year I will continue to say we should have kept him. Unfortuantely for me he will always be linked to Brooking... BUT I hope he does well.

Completely agree on Matthews but if he and Cushing were left on the board when we pick I wouldn't know who to choose. Would probably go with Cushing.... Much more of a chance of Matthews being there though, IMO.

Here is what we need a true outside linebacker insted of a MLB playing outside.....Getting Mike Peterson was a bad move since he hasn't been good since he was 28 year old. Get a DT or a OLD that can help Curtis Lofton!!!!

S. Nicholas is a guy that has shown he can make plays. M. Peterson is a vet who at this point is better than Brooking. C. Wire showed that he was strong against the run.

We obviously draft a LB on the first day of the draft but we arent hurting as bad as some think.

Also about your sig....We wont be bad enough to target the #1 TE in the draft next year.

We also need leadership, effort and discipline, which might be best typified by James Laurinaitis, who we'd move outside