i have a feeling that we trade up to grab Rey Maluagua

MSalmon

The more i read and think about it, the more i can see TD making a play to grab Maluagua. The signing of Peterson is a stopgap and depth as he's versatile. Lofton plays the SLB spot very well. We were also very careful in ensuring that our young defensive nucleus stayed in tact. I know folks want a DE and tons of picks, but Maluagua is one of those impact guys that can change the game with one powerful hit.

As strange as it may sound, getting a Maluaga could propel this team towards defensive elitism quicker than a bunch of "maybe" guys.

Let's say Maluagua is our man. Do we try to pick up an extra first rounder--which costs next years first and probably this year's second (maybe more) or do we try to move up to say the Texans' pick and give just a second rounder?

Any body else see this happening?

The more i read and think about it, the more i can see TD making a play to grab Maluagua. The signing of Peterson is a stopgap and depth as he's versatile. Lofton plays the SLB spot very well. We were also very careful in ensuring that our young defensive nucleus stayed in tact. I know folks want a DE and tons of picks, but Maluagua is one of those impact guys that can change the game with one powerful hit.

As strange as it may sound, getting a Maluaga could propel this team towards defensive elitism quicker than a bunch of "maybe" guys.

Let's say Maluagua is our man. Do we try to pick up an extra first rounder--which costs next years first and probably this year's second (maybe more) or do we try to move up to say the Texans' pick and give just a second rounder?

Any body else see this happening?

Obviously I think the Falcons have interest in Rey Maualuga and think he would be a great addition to the team if he can control his off-field issues. However, I don't see Thomas Dimitroff trading up in this draft and giving up picks.......If Maualuga falls to around #20, I guess its possible but I doubt Rey-Rey falls that far......

I don't see us moving Lofton out of MLB. It goes against everything Brooking said about our defense being set up for Lofton to make plays next year. Rey could possibly play OLB, but trading up for a player with character concerns, who you intend to switch positions, seems unlikely. I think it is unlikely we take him at all.

If you ask me one player I would not want the most , It is Maualuga. Don't ask why ,I just feel like he is way over rated . Why would we draft him anyway, he's an ILB. Please No. Tade Cushing , Matthews , anybody but Rey. We don't even need him anyway. I don't understand where you are coming from anyway. As many needs as we have and you want an ILB with our first pick , that's not going to happen anyway. We could use a OLB but not a ILB , we don't even need depth at that position.

If you ask me one player I would not want the most , It is Maualuga. Don't ask why ,I just feel like he is way over rated . Why would we draft him anyway, he's an ILB. Please No. Tade Cushing , Matthews , anybody but Rey. We don't even need him anyway. I don't understand where you are coming from anyway. As many needs as we have and you want an ILB with our first pick , that's not going to happen anyway. We could use a OLB but not a ILB , we don't even need depth at that position.

I agree with you 100%. We are not going ot move Lofton, if Ray can play SLB then i can see us picking him up, but if he cant the I really dont want him.

sorry msalmon i dont really see this happening at all. i dont think maualuga can play SLB and im not sure hes a 3 down linebacker in the middle either (unless hes in the 3-4, then he might be) so why would we spend a 1st rounder on him when he isnt bringing anything that lofton doesnt already bring? it just seems like a wasted selection to me.

-Mr. Offseason

You big dummy. lol. Just playin but Lofton is not moving to the outside. This is ridiculous and should really be dropped. He has nowhere near the speed needed to play out there. He was versatile in college but we all see that he does not have the speed to play outside. Smitty likes our outside guys to be side line to side line guys. Both of them. Lofton is a down hill run stuffer. I don't know why anyone wastes there time with even playing with the idea of us drafting a MLB. You don't move a young guy after he had a great rookie season just to force him to be a rookie again because that is what will happen if he has to learn the outside.

I don't think we want to be getting a young player like Lofton to switch positions. He has already played a year in the system and played good. And he is proven himself. I highly doubt we will trade up to get a MLB cause 1) We don't really know how well Lofton could play SLB and 2) We don't know for certain if Maulaluga is going to pan out. So are you changing from your "draft an o lineman in the first round" idea? haha

First of all, i didn't say i want him--i just see signs that we really like him. Second, TD has shown that it is quality over quantity that he's after. third, we've even scheduled a private visit with him. fourth, Smith has stated before he expects his LBs to be versatile and interchangeable. Lastly, if--when i say if i mean the falcons--take him, or move up to get him, i'm thinking they want to get some size and ferocity out in the field. Also the knock on Maulauga's coverage is mixed. Read different reports he's very adept at coverage.