Say Dimitroff stopped right now; no more free agent signings, just looking to build the defense vis the draft

kennycaine

This is a purely hypothetical question yet it goes to what fan perception is versus reality. Usually after a great season the fans become fanatics, projecting Super Bowls and division titles despite player turnover and the built-in heavier, more difficult schedule doled out to winning teams under the NFL parity rule. Generally the stronger teams or the ones which fortify themselves to be equipped for the rigors find success when there are teams such as the Cleveland Browns and even the Falcons past playoff teams that regress given that brutal schedule of winning/playoff teams.

What if there were no more free agent moves (again hypothetical) or there were no defensive tackles, linebackers or safeties deemed worthy of free agent signing? Say, because of this Dimitroff decided to get immediate starters at DT, linebacker and free safety via the draft yet after observation it was concluded that the selections were better served as backups and the present depth chart was the one that the team used for most of the 09 season. Assuming the offense is not an issue and is still ranked top 10 in scoring and total offense, what can you expect as far as wins, successes (or failures) with the defense as it stands? Does Trey Lewis being healthy cancel out the loss of Grady Jackson, making this loss a push? Does moving Stephen Nicholas and Thomas DeCoud to starters constitutte an upgrade or regression? Would a re-signed Chauncey Davis, equalling his 4 sack total be a pass rush solution? If these moves are all pushes and not upgrades, can you envision winning more than 9 games? Just what can you expect as results if the hypothetical actually became reality?

How many games would we have predicted with last years starters? You just never can tell. I think we could actually be better but not have as good a record because everyone in the South and East are going to beat up on each other. I think 10-6 with a possibility of 9-7. Believe it or not but our defense will be faster and more athletic this year than last. They may make a few more mistakes but if they can limit the young mistakes like our rookies did last year then we will be OK and a tough opponent for everyone else too. There is a chance that our offense is so good next year that it might not matter if our defense isn't great. As long as they are somewhere in the middle then I think we can be very good. Look how the Colts won for so many years with no defense.

I'd say 7 to 14 wins... the same number I would have predicted had we signed Haynesworth, Aso, Jones or whatever other "big-splash" FAs were available during the first round of free agency.

In other words, acquiring a bunch high-profile FAs does not automatically guarantee a playoff berth, as hard as that may be for the OP to believe. In fact, it usually results in a losing record and/or missing the postseason for teams who do follow that route.

Assuming our defense looks like this...

DE - Jamaal Anderson/Chauncey Davis

NT - Trey Lewis/Draft

UT - Jonathan Babineaux

RDE - John Abraham

SLB - Mike Peterson

MLB - Curtis Lofton

WLB - Stephen Nicholas

LCB - Chevis Jackson

RCB - Chris Houston

SS - Draft

FS - Eric Coleman

Consider that with a better offense, I would say 10-6 to 12-4

we wont know until after the draft so this is kind of pointless. maybe we dont get starters in the draft but they will still play a role in our success and failures. however based on the starters i'd say between 9 and 10 wins due to a relatively tough schedule

we wont know until after the draft so this is kind of pointless. maybe we dont get starters in the draft but they will still play a role in our success and failures. however based on the starters i'd say between 9 and 10 wins due to a relatively tough schedule

Why do you like to say the same thing twice?

Why do you like to say the same thing twice?