Coach Carroll: Cushing & Matthews rumors are false

Coach Carroll has come to set the record straight.

Rumors have been circulating around the Internet today that USC linebackers Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Combine in February. Thing is, the report is fallacious, and Carroll is fighting back with the truth.

"These rumors are absolutely false," Carroll said this afternoon. "If they were found positive, Clay and Cush would have been notified three weeks ago, which they weren't, and all of the NFL teams would have been notified too, which they weren't."

Carroll said he spoke with the NFL testing service this morning and verified that both Cushing and Matthews are clean.

"They're both men of outstanding character and they never tested positive for anything here," Carroll said. "This is an major example of irresponsible reporting, and the site that published this report should be ashamed of themselves."

Link

how in the world does he get past doctor-patient confidentiality laws? Sounds more like he's trying to do damage control since Bush was investigated.

he can't.. that's the point.. he is making comments and giving his opinion.. He legally couldn't get any information on their tests and as I said in the other thread he has a personal and team vested interest that this is squashed quickly because we all know that these players didn't just start taking roids yesterday if they did indeed fail drug tests and he knows what that means and those rumors on cushing and usc is not something he wants to have substantiated with failed drug tests.

heh, if I was the NCAA I'd look into USC for possibly supplying roids :P

that has been a big rumor about usc for years regarding their *cough* strength and conditioning roid program. like i said a rumor, but you get players starting to fail drug tests and it can't be hidden by the school anymore then you have some people asking questions.. (btw i am not saying other teams don't have played on roids, but there is a difference in supplying and encouraging roid use then it is having a few players on roids from other sources).

I would imagine that if Cushing and Matthews gave the testing facility permission to share the results with Carroll he would be able to get the information he claims to have. Sounds to me like he is outright saying that those reports are totally false. It's a shame and a sham that these sites or media outlets are so willing to slander these young men. But the dye has been cast, and it's very hard to put the toothpaste back into the tube once it gets out.

If two guys join a program like southern cal where the competition is so intense it's not hard at all to imagine that these guys could add tons of solid muscle mass over the period of 3-5 years.

I would imagine that if Cushing and Matthews gave the testing facility permission to share the results with Carroll he would be able to get the information he claims to have. Sounds to me like he is outright saying that those reports are totally false. It's a shame and a sham that these sites or media outlets are so willing to slander these young men. But the dye has been cast, and it's very hard to put the toothpaste back into the tube once it gets out.

If two guys join a program like southern cal where the competition is so intense it's not hard at all to imagine that these guys could add tons of solid muscle mass over the period of 3-5 years.

yeah, it's possible since most kids are still growing from the time they first start at college, but just seems slightly unlikely.

that's very unlikely since he wouldn't need to go to the testing facility to get that info.. the players have the results and they can show him the piece of paper.. carroll just lied about this situation trying to defend his players. that's pretty much what happened and this isn't the first time test results come out. We don't agree with the comments on the media, it's their job to report information they have been given. You should be saying it's a shame the testing facility and the nfl don't do a better job keep those results confidential and the players for cheating if they did indeed fail the drug test. You need to read the other thread I created for more info on usc.

Go read it. I posted a blog from NFL.com that says the NFL nor the 32 teams know the results of the tests. The testing people send a letter to the players notifying them of the results. So Pete Carroll is lying when he said he called the testing people. So explain to me then why they don't notify the NFL or teams, but will tell Pete Carroll when he calls them?

Go read it. I posted a blog from NFL.com that says the NFL nor the 32 teams know the results of the tests. The testing people send a letter to the players notifying them of the results. So Pete Carroll is lying when he said he called the testing people. So explain to me then why they don't notify the NFL or teams, but will tell Pete Carroll when he calls them?

I don't know about that. There are multiple reports that says both BJ and Percy failed a drug test. The players are the first to know anyway. I doubt Pete was told anything. But the man has strong connections to the NFL. And I mean strong. So don't doubt him

The doctor who administers the NFL policy on performance-enhancing drugs told highly regarded USC linebackers Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews Jr. on Friday that neither tested positive for banned substances, including steroids, according to sources close to both players.

Cushing and Matthews were included in previous reports indicating that up to six prominent players had tested positive for performance-enhancing or recreational drugs in tests administered in February at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. Also named were Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji, Illinois cornerback Vontae Davis, Florida wide receiver Percy Harvin and UTEP kicker Jose Martinez. Cushing, Raji, Davis and Harvin all are projected to be first-round picks in the NFL draft later this month.

NFLDraftbible.com reported that Cushing and Matthews tested positive for steroids and the other four for marijuana. SI.com, meanwhile, also reported that Raji had tested positive for a banned substance.

The sources said Cushing and Matthews both went straight to Dr. John Lombardo to find out about the reports. The sources said the two players were told by Lombardo, who administers the league’s drug policy, that they had nothing to worry about. The sources said Lombardo further explained to the players that if they had tested positive, they already would have received letters indicating as much. The letters reportedly were sent out three weeks ago, and the sources said that neither player received such a letter.

Representatives for Cushing, Matthews and Davis issued statements asserting that their clients hadn’t tested positive. The sources close to Cushing and Matthews had no personal knowledge of whether the other four players named in the report had received letters.

A statement issued by the NFL also indicated that any players who had tested positive should already have been notified, and explained clubs have not been informed of the results of the drug screenings that were done at the combine.

“Neither the 32 clubs nor the league office know the results of drug or steroid tests taken at the 2009 combine,” the statement read. “The independent medical advisors who administer the tests have notified in writing those players and only those players who tested positive at the combine.”

It’s unclear if these reports will have any impact on the draft. If teams find out that any players have tested positive, their draft stock will decline significantly. A player rated in the first round could easily slip to the second round if reports such as these proved to be true.

“Unfortunately, rumors about draft eligible players, including rumors about test results, begin to circulate every year at this time,” the NFL’s statement read. “Many of these rumors are circulated for self-serving reasons and they are terribly unfair to the players and their families.”

Tom Condon, who represents Cushing, was particularly strong in his response to the report.

“There is no truth to the vicious and false rumor regarding Brian Cushing’s drug test at the Combine,” Condon said. “Brian, in fact, has been informed by league representatives that his test result was negative for any banned substances. Furthermore, neither the league office nor Brian’s representatives have been contacted regarding a positive test.”

Mark Humenik, who is one of the agents for Matthews, and Todd France, who represents Davis, also issued statements refuting the reports. Humenik’s company, Athletes First, also represents Raji, but Humenik said he had yet to confirm that Raji hadn’t received a letter – but he believed his client had not. The agents for Harvin and Martinez did not return messages.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApJp...o&type=lgns