VICK: I could play 10-12 more years in the nfl..

crankdatfalcon

Vick: I can play 10-12 more years in NFL

Suspended Falcons quarterback testifies his acts were ‘heinous’ and ‘immature’

By JEREMY REDMON

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, April 03, 2009

Newport News, Va. — Suspended Falcons quarterback Michael Vick testified in bankruptcy court Friday that he believes he has a shot at being reinstated by the NFL because he is remorseful for the actions that landed him in prison on federal dogfighting charges.

Vick, nearing the end of a 23-month federal prison sentence on the charges, predicted he has another 10 to 12 years left in his football career, assuming he stays in shape and avoids injuries.

Vick: I can play 10-12 more years in NFL

Falcons settle claim in Vick bankruptcy case

Interactive | Vick Timeline

Michael Vick is banking on return to NFL

Returning to the NFL is a key part of Vick’s plans to pay his creditors and emerge from bankruptcy.

“If I do the right thing and show true remorse, I think I will have an opportunity” to rejoin the NFL, Vick told the court during a hearing on his bankruptcy exit plan.

That wording is key because NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has said he wants to see true contrition from Vick before considering lifting his suspension.

Vick added that prison has given him time to reflect on his life.

“I committed a heinous act,” he said. “It was very irresponsible. I didn’t do all the right things at that point in my life. What I did was wrong. When you know better, you are supposed to do better.”

As part of a 2007 plea deal, Vick admitted bankrolling a business called Bad Newz Kennels to raise and train pit bulls for dogfights on his property in Virginia and in other states. He said he provided most of the money to operate the business and bet on fights. He admitted to being involved in killing several pit bulls that did not make the grade as fighters.

“There wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t value my freedom and think about the crimes I committed,” Vick said about his prison life.

Vick, who earned between $10 million and $12 million annually before he entered prison, said he is being paid 12 cents an hour now working as a janitor in prison in Leavenworth, Kan. He said he works an 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. shift.

The former Virginia Tech standout added that he has been staying in shape, reading, writing and playing basketball on a championship prison team.

Vick, now 28, said he wants to build a new life once he gets out of prison.

“I can’t live life like the old Mike Vick,” he said. “I was very immature. I was naïve to a lot of things.”

To that end, Vick said he has hired attorneys and and accountant to help him manage his money better once he gets out of prison. Bankruptcy Judge Frank J. Santoro asked him if he realized that he had racked up about $3.7 million in bills for professional services during the course of his bankruptcy case, or about $13,700 a day for the last 270 days. Vick said he is aware of the costs.

Earlier in the day, Vick testified that a series of financial advisers gave him bad guidance, inexplicably bought $90 million in life insurance for him and his mother and invested his money without giving him any returns on it.

Vick said one of the advisers bought $70 million in life insurance for him and $20 million for his mother, explaining that Vick was “around too many thugs … and was engaged in unlawful activities.” Vick said he had to pay $1.2 million annually on the insurance premiums.

Another adviser took $500,000 of Vick’s money, saying she would invest it in a bank in Nebraska and give him 10 percent interest in return. He said that adviser spent the money and he has not received any back.

“I was trusting these people,” Vick said.

Under the proposed bankruptcy exit plan, Vick could keep the first $750,000 of his annual income over the next five years. After that, a percentage would go to creditors.

The plan faces objections from Joel Enterprises, which claims Vick owes it about $4.5 million. The firm’s attorney also questioned Vick Friday before the lunch break, questioning the suspended quaterback’s credibility and past money management.

Joel Enterprises was to present its case opposing approval of the plan in the afternoon.

Its attorneys plan to call Vick’s mother, Brenda Boddie, and fiancee, Kijafa Frink, as witnesses. Those attorneys wheeled 11 boxes of documents into the courtroom Thursday morning as dozens of journalists and more than 10 Newport News police officers looked on.

Andrew Joel, a Richmond sports agent, filed a lawsuit against Vick in 2006 claiming he reneged on an endorsement deal.

The company filed a complaint last month, alleging Vick transferred property and cash to relatives and friends in the year before he filed for bankruptcy to defraud his creditors. The complaint also alleges that Vick misrepresented his assets.

Vick repeatedly testified Friday morning that he never attempted to hide any assets and that he was only trying to help his family.

If Vick is sincere, which, I hope he is, I think this is great for him. I'll always support him and I think it was stupid he got the sentence he did for his crimes. They took everything from him because some people care more for animals than they do their fellow man. You can beat your wife, kill, and do countless other acts if you play in the National Football League, but touch an animal and the world will see you fall.

wow aero, i see you still havent lost your touch.

Hey I wasn't the one that was all over Vick's jock and then announced publicly that you were officially OFF his jock and then you were back on Vick's jock.. and then off... just pointing out that the cycle has started yet again for you... :rolleyes:

If Vick is sincere, which, I hope he is, I think this is great for him. I'll always support him and I think it was stupid he got the sentence he did for his crimes. They took everything from him because some people care more for animals than they do their fellow man. You can beat your wife, kill, and do countless other acts if you play in the National Football League, but touch an animal and the world will see you fall.

Since Goodell has taken over? Really?

Hey I wasn't the one that was all over Vick's jock and then announced publicly that you were officially OFF his jock and then you were back on Vick's jock.. and then off... just pointing out that the cycle has started yet again for you... :rolleyes:

yea i forgot you are one of the many haters that hold on to what people have said and posted a whole year or two ago regarding vick..i post one article about the man, im all of a sudden on vicks jock.. :lol: how funny can this board be.

yea i forgot you are one of the many haters that hold on to what people have said and posted a whole year or two ago regarding vick..i post one article about the man, im all of a sudden on vicks jock.. :lol: how funny can this board be.

So you agree.. you're back on the jock... there has to be some kind of anonymous group you can join for that horrible habit. :(

How in the world, at 28 years of age, does he think he'll play 10-12 more years? :huh: Even if, and considering his past that's a big IF, he were to avoid injuries, that would make him 40. How many guys have played in the NFL at 40. I just don't get what makes him think he'll last that long when not very many have. Someone explain that one to me please. Not knocking on Vick either, just confused by this.

your first post made the notion to me that you were saying i was back on his jock since i created the thread. i was just simply posting a vick article.

We've all seen it enough.. you're becoming predictable.. by the way I didn't even mention you by name.. merely that the jocks were being sniffed again.. you indicted yourself on this one. :lol:

We've all seen it enough.. you're becoming predictable.. by the way I didn't even mention you by name.. merely that the jocks were being sniffed again.. you indicted yourself on this one. :lol:

a whole year ago....lol, wow aero. i havent been on these boards recently, so you gotta come better than that..

This is quite the progression. First he feels he can definitely play in the nfl again, next not only will he play but he will make 10 million a year, and now not only will he play and make big bucks he will do it until he is 40.

I guess the next news report will be about him getting a head coach job once his career as an athelete is over.

How in the world, at 28 years of age, does he think he'll play 10-12 more years? :huh: Even if, and considering his past that's a big IF, he were to avoid injuries, that would make him 40. How many guys have played in the NFL at 40. I just don't get what makes him think he'll last that long when not very many have. Someone explain that one to me please. Not knocking on Vick either, just confused by this.

jerry rice, rich gannon, all the patriots linebackers, hahaha....it's not impossible. look at jeff garcia.

Guest Gritz
It is not impossible just not very likely. He is a rushing qb. How in the world will he stay healthy after 35?

He won't.......and he doesn't have the discipline (to study film) or the knowledge (how to read defenses) to become an effective pocket passer.

It is what it is.

Vick was “around too many thugs … and was engaged in unlawful activities.” Vick said he had to pay $1.2 million annually on the insurance premiums.

Con or not, that should have been a hint right there that you need to change your lifestyle.

Best wishes to him. I do believe he has served his debt to society. He seems to be genuinely remorseful and just because he is scenile about how much he might be worth or how long he can play doesn't mean he isn't sorry. Some people might misconstrue that as cocky, I don't. I see it as a will to succeed and to prove he has changed. Albeit wishful dreaming on his part at the moment, it is good to have goals. Don't be down on the man because of that.