Will Goodell come out and say it already!

solidx

I think it is very inconsiderate of Roger Goodell to not have made a decision on Vick yet. It has been almost two years. The Falcons are trying to move on and he is putting a road block in our way. If he would just come out and say Vick can play next year, we might be able to get some draft picks for him in a few weeks. Im thinking at least a 3rd rounder with conditions that could garner another pick next year.

Does anyone else just plain and simple NOT LIKE Roger Goodell? I just don't like the guy.

BTW im not trying to start a long Vick thread. This is more aimed towards Goodell

Guest Gritz

I like Goodell. I believe he is sincere in his efforts to clean up the NFL. He's trying to protect the multi-billion dollar business that is the NFL.

The legal process is finished though. He has almost served his entire sentence. Goodell should have been able to make his decision back when Vick was sentenced

Goodell is worried (and rightfully so) that vick could get into further trouble. Do not expect him to reinstate him until he feels comfortable. Remember that vick was in one scandal after another his entire pro career.

As soon as Vick gets out of one jam he is in another. Since Vick is still officially in prison and he does have the bankruptcy issue and the Federal case of pension pilfering there is an awful lot of smoke that needs to clear before Goodell clears him to play a game. I think it is good that Goodell is trying to make these young millionaires act responsible. All the money in the world can not buy you intelligence, integrity, or maturity.

I think it is very inconsiderate of Roger Goodell to not have made a decision on Vick yet. It has been almost two years. The Falcons are trying to move on and he is putting a road block in our way. If he would just come out and say Vick can play next year, we might be able to get some draft picks for him in a few weeks. Im thinking at least a 3rd rounder with conditions that could garner another pick next year.

Does anyone else just plain and simple NOT LIKE Roger Goodell? I just don't like the guy.

BTW im not trying to start a long Vick thread. This is more aimed towards Goodell

Why make a decision on a guy who cannot legally be a player/participant in the NFL? It would be stupid on Goodell's part to make a ruling on Vick any sooner than the law allows him to return.

Goodell could have suspended Vick for a year when he was sentenced, but Vick & his legal team would have argued (successfully most likely) that the suspension & jail time were concurrent. So Goodell is playing this correctly. Once Vick is legally allowed to leave Virginia, and is not under house arrest, around September or so, then Goodell will properly make his ruling that Vick is suspended for a full year or maybe, preferably, 18 months.

Sorry that you don't like Roger Goodell for holding the employees in his organization to the legal standards the rest of Americans have to live up to. He doesn't treat them like the prima-donnas that you believe they should be treated like and I think he's doing one heck of a great job in that department. If anything, he needs to get tougher.

A lot of people should ask them selves if they would feel the same way about this if it wasn't an Atlanta Falcon. I'm not sure how I would feel, but I do feel like Goodell is doing what he has to do. Once Vick is at the least out of prison, he will make a decision. We can't place blame on the NFL Commissioner for a player on our team who screwed up. Now, if he hasn't lifted the suspension in a few years, you might have an argument then. But, Vick will be lone gone by then.

C'mon vick is not gonna be re-instated for the upcoming season.

He is still in jail, facing other charges & he has not actually DONE anything to show Goddell that he deserves to be re-instated.

vick will prbly play for the new UFL next season & then (hopefully for him) Goddell will re-instate vick back in the NFL for the 2010 season.

That would prbly work out better for us b/c in the UFL vick will have the opportunity to show the rest of the NFL he can still play ball.

& hopefully for both the Falcans & vick, he can.

Also w/ the possibility of 2010 being an uncapped yr, maybe we can get vick off our books w/out taking any salary cap hit what-so-ever

but personally I do not want an uncapped NFL - aka the MLB

Why make a decision on a guy who cannot legally be a player/participant in the NFL? It would be stupid on Goodell's part to make a ruling on Vick any sooner than the law allows him to return.

Goodell could have suspended Vick for a year when he was sentenced, but Vick & his legal team would have argued (successfully most likely) that the suspension & jail time were concurrent. So Goodell is playing this correctly. Once Vick is legally allowed to leave Virginia, and is not under house arrest, around September or so, then Goodell will properly make his ruling that Vick is suspended for a full year or maybe, preferably, 18 months.

Sorry that you don't like Roger Goodell for holding the employees in his organization to the legal standards the rest of Americans have to live up to. He doesn't treat them like the prima-donnas that you believe they should be treated like and I think he's doing one heck of a great job in that department. If anything, he needs to get tougher.

You missed the point. Im not saying he should make his ruling to help Vick out. I'm saying he should recognize that the Falcons have had this problem looming over our heads for 2 years. It would be beneficial for the franchise itself to know whether Vick will be aloud to play in the even he is released. Even if he is still in jail, we can trade his rights away to any interested team IF they know he will be aloud to play again. Thats all. This is not to help Vick, it's to help us.

Also, it is NOT OPINION that Vick will be released in less than 2 months, it IS FACT. So knowing the facts for the past 21 months, Roger Goodell should have already come to a decision on this. Why wait until the last minute when he is released. Everyone should already know whether he will be aloud to play when he gets out.

The legal process is finished though. He has almost served his entire sentence. Goodell should have been able to make his decision back when Vick was sentenced

I agree. Goodell should do the same with Plaxico Burres and Donte Stalworth. Goodell has set the standard that the legal process does not necessary to render punishment. In the case of Odell Thurman, Tank Johnson, and Chris Henry Goodell punished these players and the legal process later exonerated them. Goodell has stated it is about the impact. Well he should go ahead and insue the punishment of Burress and Stalworth and then not worry about the legal process. The shows Goodell renders punishment depending on how he feels that day.

Technically the legal process with Vick is just about over. He is soon to be released from custody and has no pending criminal investigations. So what is the problem?

Goodell is worried (and rightfully so) that vick could get into further trouble. Do not expect him to reinstate him until he feels comfortable. Remember that vick was in one scandal after another his entire pro career.

Well if Goodell is worried about Vick getting in trouble then ban him for life and be finished with it. He didn't seem to worried about Belichik cheating again, or Matt Jones doing more coke, or Marvin Harrison shooting up more car washes, or Brandon MArshall, or Marshawn Lynch driving a motor vehicle. Goodell is afraud.

Guest Gritz
Well if Goodell is worried about Vick getting in trouble then ban him for life and be finished with it. He didn't seem to worried about Belichik cheating again, or Matt Jones doing more coke, or Marvin Harrison shooting up more car washes, or Brandon MArshall, or Marshawn Lynch driving a motor vehicle. Goodell is afraud.

Link?

You're just pizzed because Goodell is trying to clean up the NFL. If you judge that his actions are arbitrary, so freakin' what? The National Football League isn't a government organization or entity. It's a huge corporation and Goodell is it's CEO. He can make the rules.

You missed the point. Im not saying he should make his ruling to help Vick out. I'm saying he should recognize that the Falcons have had this problem looming over our heads for 2 years. It would be beneficial for the franchise itself to know whether Vick will be aloud to play in the even he is released. Even if he is still in jail, we can trade his rights away to any interested team IF they know he will be aloud to play again. Thats all. This is not to help Vick, it's to help us.

Also, it is NOT OPINION that Vick will be released in less than 2 months, it IS FACT. So knowing the facts for the past 21 months, Roger Goodell should have already come to a decision on this. Why wait until the last minute when he is released. Everyone should already know whether he will be aloud to play when he gets out.

Why wait until he's released?

Because nobody knows how Vick is going to act once he's returned to society. Goodell wants to see a reformed Vick, and you don't see that while he's sitting in a jail cell. You see that at 2am and if he's home sleeping or if he's out involved in some other illegal or questionable activities. It doesn't make any sense for Goodell to act sooner.

As for helping us, Goodell isn't going to make an exception to help one team. If he does, he'd have to help other teams when they have roster players who royally screw up.

And I think Vick is going to be released in July, not within 2 months. Yes, he'll go to home confinement in May, but he's not considered released at that point.

Link?

You're just pizzed because Goodell is trying to clean up the NFL. If you judge that his actions are arbitrary, so freakin' what? The National Football League isn't a government organization or entity. It's a huge corporation and Goodell is it's CEO. He can make the rules.

I have no problem with cleaning up the game that is what he is trying to do. He is inconsistend so I wouldn't agree that his actions line up with his words. Goodell is trying to lace his pockets. Yes the NFL is a corporations and Goodell is the CEO if thats what you want to call him. AIG, GM, and Bear Sterns had CEO's also

Guest Gritz
I have no problem with cleaning up the game that is what he is trying to do. He is inconsistend so I wouldn't agree that his actions line up with his words. Goodell is trying to lace his pockets. Yes the NFL is a corporations and Goodell is the CEO if thats what you want to call him. AIG, GM, and Bear Sterns had CEO's also

The NFL is in a helluva lot better shape than any of those companies..........thank God.....

The NFL is in a helluva lot better shape than any of those companies..........thank God.....

For right now it is. I think Goodell will ruin the NFL. His crazy rules, taking games out of the country, placing company logos on practice jerseys, making the game about corporations and not fans. If they have a lock out in 2011 they will all be in the same boat.

so is it possible that we wouldn't have to take a cap hit for him this or next year??

No. Under the terms of the agreement with Vick, we as a unsecured debtor will receive a portion of Vick's future earnings. The full $15m cap hit will come of this year and any subsequent amount we receive from VIck will create salary cap relief in that particular NFL season.

Guest Gritz
For right now it is. I think Goodell will ruin the NFL. His crazy rules, taking games out of the country, placing company logos on practice jerseys, making the game about corporations and not fans. If they have a lock out in 2011 they will all be in the same boat.

I strongly disagree.

If Goodell was to sit on his hands and let the inmates run the asylum the NFL would go down faster than any of the "problems" you described could ever take it.

Goddell took a 20% pay cut this year, in response to the current economic climate. I can't imagine many other "CEO's" voluntary taking a pay cut. Or indeed do you hear the players offering to cut their salaries as their fans struggle to find the funds to pay for tickets.