Shooting at American Civic Association

Bucnasty

At least four people were killed Friday when a man opened fire in a building in Binghamton, New York, a law enforcement source close to the situation said. The source said more than a dozen were wounded.

The man began shooting in the American Civic Association, which helps immigrants and refugees, during a citizenship test, the source said.

The local newspaper, the Press & Sun-Bulletin, said on its Web site that at least four people were shot and 41 people had been taken hostage. The newspaper reported that Binghamton Mayor Matthew Ryan, who was at the scene, said there was a hostage situation and said the shooter had a high-powered rifle.

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said the FBI is sending hostage negotiators and an evidence response team to the scene.

The newspaper said the incident began around 10:30 a.m. ET. Nearby apartments were being evacuated and Binghamton High School is on lockdown, it said. "Within minutes [the situation] turned into one just flooded with police," Bob Joseph, news director of WNBF Radio, told CNN.

advertisement

The American Civic Association helps immigrants and refugees with a number of issues, including personal counseling, resettlement, citizenship and reunification, and provides interpreters and translators, according to a United Way of Broome County Web site, which is affiliated with the association.

Binghamton is about 140 miles northwest of New York City.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/03/bingha...ting/index.html

I've been watching live on Fox News. Actual death toll and other numbers have not been confirmed.

True, but the police officer told the lady 13 were dead.

These reporters keep interrupting each other, I can tell the blonde is getting pissed off.

I think the unofficial reason was rigid immigration laws laid down by the previous administration. You guys do know that Bush can still be blamed for a few more months?

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of Glen Beck, Hannity and Limbaugh for stirring up the anti-immigrant rage among their well armed army of crazies.

This is in a state with a ban on handguns, yes?

NY has very strict laws about who can carry handguns in public (basically law enforcement only). But handguns can still be purchased. The US Supreme Court ruled last year that a law banning the ownership of any handgun to be unconstitutional.

At any rate, all reports I have seen indicated that a rifle was used. Not a handgun.

At least thats how I understood NY law to be when I visited there.