Georgia hires Nevada coach Mark Fox.

SacFalcFan

Georgia hires Nevada coach Mark Fox

By CHIP TOWERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Georgia has hired Nevada coach Mark Fox as its men’s basketball coach and will introduce him at a news conference tomorrow at 11 a.m. in Athens, according to persons within the UGA athletics department.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some info on him:

From the Nevada website:

(This was before this year)

In his first four years at the helm, Fox has led Nevada to a 102-30 record and already ranks fourth in all-time wins in the school’s recordbook. A three-time winner of the WAC’s Don Haskins Coach of the Year award, he is the first coach in school history to lead his teams to four 20-win seasons and postseason invitations, including three NCAA Tournament appearances. Fox is tied for 21st on the the NCAA’s list of the fastest coaches to notch 100 career wins, doing it in 128 games, while his 81 wins in his first three seasons tied with Gonzaga's Mark Few for the most victories in Division I history by a coach in three years.

2004-present

Nevada, Head Coach

(2005 NCAA Appearance - Second Round)

(2006 NCAA Appearance - First Round)

(2007 NCAA Appearance - Second Round)

(2008 CBI Appearance - First Round)

Well he's been a good coach for Nevada so far with a record of like 100-30 so we'll see how he does at a bigger school

I am very very happy with this pick. We will see what he does at UGA, but when i heard his name earlier today I researched him and everything i found was very good.

Never heard of this guy, but his numbers are encouraging.

That's probably the same thing I said about Felton too.... <_< Oh well, as long as he can recruit and isn't an *** to everyone, he's an improvement.

please don't try and compare the two.. they aren't the same coach.. this guy actually runs an offensive system. believe he has ncaa wins, something felton didn't have.. just because they both coached at smaller schools doesn't mean they will have the same outcome.

Well that was....fast. Fox is a good recruiter as others have mentioned. He has always been a good recruiter, but Nick Fazekas has a lot to do with Nevada being able to bring in good recruits recently.

Fox is a solid X's and O's guy from all the Nevada games I've seen (which is actually quite a few for such a small program on the other end of the country). His teams are always fundamentally sound.

We'll see what he can do with UGA.

Solid hire....not great IMO, but it could've been a lot worse.

please don't try and compare the two.. they aren't the same coach.. this guy actually runs an offensive system. believe he has ncaa wins, something felton didn't have.. just because they both coached at smaller schools doesn't mean they will have the same outcome.

I know. It's just my inherent pessimism surfacing...being a sports fan in the state of Georgia has that effect on some people.

He seems to be a good recruiter most of the 4 stars hes got have been outside of Nevada the 4 star guard he has commited this year is from New Hampshire

he got a 5 star last year.. it was a PF. (5 star on scout).. and his recruits are national which is a great thing.. showing he can recruit even to a school like nevada.

I know. It's just my inherent pessimism surfacing...being a sports fan in the state of Georgia has that effect on some people.

fox is a very good bench coach and he is a very good recruiter.. something we didn't have with felton.. we don't know how big his upside is, but it's better than the other options where we do have a resume already that wasn't very promising.

In 08 14 of the top 150 this year are from GA. 5-6 in the top 30. Better tap into that in state talent.

yep.. you got to go after that instate talent, but you can still bring in some out of state guys as well.. he has some time before signing day this year and we need a player or two.

fox is a very good bench coach and he is a very good recruiter.. something we didn't have with felton.. we don't know how big his upside is, but it's better than the other options where we do have a resume already that wasn't very promising.

I agree. I was worried looking at some of those coaches' records whose names were being mentioned in the media. Glad we got someone who is at least proven on some level. And the recruiting notes are encouraging...

Is he a hard *** like Felton or a little more mellow? Anyone know?

No Bobby Knight, no John Calipari...no big move to generate relevant interest in the program.

Wish him luck, but yawn....boring no name hire.

We needed someone that was gonna be here more than a yr or two so I don't think Knight would be the right person. And really, the odds were against us to get a big name coach. No matter how much money we have, it's just not a very prestigious job...

lol at Sac saying watch out for mark fox and an hour later he is hired. nice going. looks like a good recruiter. im very pleased. and he isnt weird looking either. like felton was. srry.

yeah i had a buddy in athens give me a msg earlier today about mark fox.. then i saw a post on a pay site that said the same thing a short time ago.. i knew something was up.

No Bobby Knight, no John Calipari...no big move to generate relevant interest in the program.

Wish him luck, but yawn....boring no name hire.

tikibar, this is a good hire right now.. we win and we generate interest.. we have a winner who is a very good recruiter and very good bench coach.. that is all good.. and he won't be a 2 year and gone guy either..

Just a few notes about Fox for those of you that don't know much about him:

His teams *always* shoot FTs very well. There should always be a lot of time spent on that each day at practice. You can expect UGA to be at worst a 70% FT shooting team with Fox at the helm.

Also, Fox's teams are usually in the middle of the pack when it comes to three-point attempts. Looking at the stats, his teams have averaged right around 500 attempts from deep each year. UGA, on the other hand, has averaged well over 600 each year with Felton.

To the person that wondered what his personality is like, I would describe his as energetic, but very well-restrained. He's not like Bruce Pearl who'll go red in the face and jump around like a crazy person, and he's not like Paul Hewitt (maybe not the best example because he can get intense) or someone like that who does a lot of sitting and watching. From what I've seen Fox does a good job listening to the players, but isn't afraid to raise his voice when they do wrong.

Fox will always have the guys playing hard, and they will play smart. This is a solid hire like I said. The only thing I'm unsure of is if he'll be able to take UGA to the top. You just don't know how much potential he has. This is definitely a much better option than Purnell or Haith.