Breaking news: Jay Cutler traded to the Bears

atljbo

Broncos, Bears agree on deal for Cutler

The Denver Broncos announced Thursday that they have agreed in principle to trade QB Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears. Terms of the deal have not been announced.

Link

Cutler going to Bears

Comment Email Print Share

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Archive

The Chicago Bears pulled the big upset Thursday afternoon by acquiring Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, a source told ESPN.com.

The Broncos confirmed the move.

Terms of the trade weren't immediately available, but the Bears had to beat out the Redskins, Buccaneers, Lions, Titans and other teams to get land the 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback.

The Broncos had been asking for at least two first-round choices.

Cutler asked to be traded when he found out first-year coach Josh McDaniels tried to acquire Matt Cassel in a trade with the Patriots.

Cutler had not returned phone calls from the Broncos, according to the team, and had been staying away from the offseason program.

New home Chicago: Broncos ship disgruntled QB Cutler to Bears

NFL.com Wire Reports

The Denver Broncos have agreed to trade disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears.

Jay Cutler, QB

Denver Broncos

2008 Statistics:

Passer rating: 86.0

Passing yards: 4,526

TDs/INTs: 25/18

The Broncos announced the deal Thursday and said terms would be disclosed later.

NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports that the Broncos will receive three draft picks (first-rounders this year and in 2010 and one of the Bears' two third-rounders this year) and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Cutler and a 2009 fifth-round selection. The third-rounder the Bears will surrender is not yet known.

The Broncos were trading Cutler on his terms, and there was no shortage of teams lining up to take a crack at acquiring the 25-year-old Pro Bowl passer.

Cutler had asked for a trade last month after his relationship with new coach Josh McDaniels soured. Their relationship began to disintegrate when McDaniels broached a potential trade of Cutler for Matt Cassel earlier this offseason.

I didn't even know that the Bears was in the Jay Cutler race..........

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

I didn't even know that the Bears was in the Jay Cutler race..........

I didn't either. This totally out of left field. Last I heard the Redskins were the favorite in the Jay Cutler sweepstakes. But being Cutler is from Indiana, he's closer to home and makes since for him.

I bet this just blew up a lot of people's mock drafts.

Wow. Just wow. So McDaniels has dumped the west coast offense, trying to make a 3-4 defense, and getting rid of a pro bowl qb in a single offseason?

Watch out Petrino someone wants to challenge you for worst ever NFL coach and he is off to a great start.

Sanchez or Freeman for the broncos I bet. I really like freeman

With Orton and Chris Sims they might be alright for awhile and pick

up some linemen/linebackers, etc. You would think with all the retread

rb's they have signed that they have enough numbers at that position.

Sims was a starter when he got hurt and they say his arm is fine.