Memphis to offer Pearl $3 million per year

Unknøwn

According to sources close to the situation, Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson is expected to ask for permission to speak with Pearl on Thursday and could offer Pearl a deal in the neighborhood of $3 million per season.

Sources also indicate that Pearl, who has done a terrific job reviving the Tennessee program and leading the Vols to four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, would listen.

Calipari left earlier this week for Kentucky for an eight-year deal worth approximately $32 million.

Calipari and Pearl are noted adversaries, so this would be an interesting situation if Pearl elected to follow Calipari at Memphis.

Pearl is 98-37 in his four seasons at Tennessee after coming from UW-Milwaukee.

I could see Pearl heading to Memphis in large because of what the article suggests:

Calipari and Pearl are noted adversaries, so this would be an interesting situation if Pearl elected to follow Calipari at Memphis.

Couple that with higher pay and a program where Pearl can have a ton of success, it makes a lot of sense.

Like I said in the other thread, I like Pearl, but I'm not going to be heartbroken if he's gone. He's simply not a great coach. But the big question is who would replace him?