Micheal Johnson makes a very positive impact on our D

When you have a very young D, you want to have a very good pass rush right so we can get easier turnovers as in QB fumbles and pressure int's. So why would you not want to go after a guy like Micheal Johnson? No one is going to get a sack every play, but you stick a guy like Johnson who can get off the snap very fast across from the guy that can be called the Falcons best pass rusher ever and you have 2 guys pushing the tackles back forcing the QB up leaving 3 OL to block 2 DL's and most likely Nicholas will get let loose with his speed.

We dont need Micheal Johnson to be the next Abraham right now we need a guy that can force a QB back into the pocket letting our best sacker get some free-be's and also giving us the chance to let our wild man Nicholas go.

To me it makes sense picking Johnson, because we can get a pretty good DL in the 2nd to push the pocket. and not allow the QB to step up.

I think Johnson is an intriguing prospect, but I don't think you can pick him before the 2nd round at the earliest. I'd love to trade down and take either him or Clint Sintim but Johnson has SO many work ethic issues I cant' justify taking him with the 24th pick.

I think Johnson is an intriguing prospect, but I don't think you can pick him before the 2nd round at the earliest. I'd love to trade down and take either him or Clint Sintim but Johnson has SO many work ethic issues I cant' justify taking him with the 24th pick.

You know they said the same about Demarcus Ware.

I dont see what makes you think he will be such a disruptive force on our D. He wasnt that much of a force at GT but he is suppose to be in the NFL?

Because He is a speed rusher and has shown that he can get to the outside against top talent in college. He will have an impact. In an interview Johnson said that he has alot to learn and is willing to be coached. He stated that he is looking forward to more one-on-one coaching with NFL coaches because in college he didnt get that attention because they had one D-Line coach, coaching 11 players. He has the skills to be a force, just needs refining and if you have a great coaching staff like we do, then that equals a good chance of him being successful at what we ask him to do.

Because He is a speed rusher and has shown that he can get to the outside against top talent in college. He will have an impact. In an interview Johnson said that he has alot to learn and is willing to be coached. He stated that he is looking forward to more one-on-one coaching with NFL coaches because in college he didnt get that attention because they had one D-Line coach, coaching 11 players. He has the skills to be a force, just needs refining and if you have a great coaching staff like we do, then that equals a good chance of him being successful at what we ask him to do.

There are alot of guys that have the skill set to succeed in the pros but never put it all together. Last thing we need is another DE that is a project.

When you have a very young D, you want to have a very good pass rush right so we can get easier turnovers as in QB fumbles and pressure int's. So why would you not want to go after a guy like Micheal Johnson? No one is going to get a sack every play, but you stick a guy like Johnson who can get off the snap very fast across from the guy that can be called the Falcons best pass rusher ever and you have 2 guys pushing the tackles back forcing the QB up leaving 3 OL to block 2 DL's and most likely Nicholas will get let loose with his speed.

We dont need Micheal Johnson to be the next Abraham right now we need a guy that can force a QB back into the pocket letting our best sacker get some free-be's and also giving us the chance to let our wild man Nicholas go.

To me it makes sense picking Johnson, because we can get a pretty good DL in the 2nd to push the pocket. and not allow the QB to step up.

Because we have a guy like Johnson....JA98.....

There are alot of guys that have the skill set to succeed in the pros but never put it all together. Last thing we need is another DE that is a project.

I agree that is the last thing that we need. I trust that TD and Co has spent alot of time watching film, attending his proday, private workouts, talking with the coaching staff to find out whether they like this kid. I believe they do, and dont mind taking him at 24. Dont let some of the Mckay era keep us from drafting a impact player, like Micheal Johnson. There are reports that the FAlcons are interested in him along with some other teams like Washington, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and TAmpa Bay. Now i know that I dont want to see micheal Johnson and Gaines Adams coming at out QB full throttle on passing downs. :D

Rumor Mill

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/...umor_mill_3_27/

Because we have a guy like Johnson....JA98.....

JA98 and Micheal Johnson are two different types of players, and have different skills sets that enabled them to be productive in college. JA98 used his strength more so than his quickness to get to the QB, it didnt translate well because OL in the NFL are much stronger than OL in college. Micheal Johnson uses his speed and quickness to get to the QB, I dont think I know of too many lineman than can run a 4.4 or 4.6(official) or have quickness of a Micheal Johnson. :D

JA98 and Micheal Johnson are two different types of players, and have different skills sets that enabled them to be productive in college. JA98 used his strength more so than his quickness to get to the QB, it didnt translate well because OL in the NFL are much stronger than OL in college. Micheal Johnson uses his speed and quickness to get to the QB, I dont think I know of too many lineman than can run a 4.4 or 4.6(official) or have quickness of a Micheal Johnson. :D

but he has little chicken legs so all he is going to have is the speed rush

With his physical skills, he should currently be talked about similar to Peppers & Mario Williams were in their draft classes. There is obviously something missing on his game films & it's that he's not "a high motor guy", he takes plays off and doesn't give 100% all the time. Our current LDE is criticised as his production on the field is less than what his talent should achieve, so why would we use a 1st round pick on a player in the same mould.

I'd rather pick a player in the 2nd or 3rd that has less physical talent, but gives everything he has when he steps on the field.

Michael Johnson reminds me of Calais Campbell, and how he had Top 10 talent, but didnʻt always play up to his potential. Campbell was drafted with the 51st overall pick in last years draft....Will MJ fall that far as well?

Good point, much easier to swallow taking him with our pick at 55 thann in the 1st round

Michael Johnson reminds me of Calais Campbell, and how he had Top 10 talent, but didnʻt always play up to his potential. Campbell was drafted with the 51st overall pick in last years draft....Will MJ fall that far as well?

no way Michael Johnson will slip that far........ I cant see Michael Johnson Slipping past the 31st or 33rd pick..... i cant lie... i would try to trade down a couple picks (and get a extra pick or so)

i disagree.... how can you compare a 6'8 290lbs 5.0 40 guy with a 6'7 266lbs 4.61 40 guy...... Calais Campbell is better fit as a 3-4 DE (Like Jamaal Anderson)...... Michael Johnson is a DE/LB similar to Mathias Kiwanuka

I dont get it..... We dont have to draft Michael Johnson..... I really like Clay Matthews and Ziggy Hood but i also like Michael Johnson..... Everybody say that Julious Peppers has a off and on motor or that he does not give his all every play....... Everybody says that Michael Johnson will just be a pass rusher his first year.... Robert Mathis produced 11.5 sacks as a pur pass rusher....... We have a chance to get a top 5 talent with the 24th pick..... If Michael Johnson was a finished product we would not have a chance at getting him.... Thats what good Coaching is for... Like Thomas Dimitroff said "We have the best D-Line Coach in the NFL" ..... Michael Johnson is a good character guy (dude is like a BYU guy) , wants to get better (working out with chuck smith), and would do anything for his team (GT coaching staff love this guy.... Michael Johnson played special teams also)........ Michael Johnson has the size and strength (28 reps of 225lbs) to be a everydown DE........ Michael Johnson has to build up his lower body..... Michael Johnson is in the same boat as Mathias Kiwanuka .... "Experts" said that 6'6 266lbs Mathias Kiwanuka should be a mid - late 2nd round pick because he is a pure pass rusher.

Like i said ... If TD go in another direction i can understand but i dont get how you guys are so down on Michael Johnson......

Lets look at Thomas Dimitroff type guys

VINCE WILFORK

IO: First team all-conference selection as a junior after posting 64/11/6. Sophomore totals included 43/15/7 tackling after 41/11/1 as a freshman.

POSITIVES: Powerful, game-controlling defensive player that can be an unstoppable force. Top athlete that displays explosion off the snap, plays with leverage and bull rushes opponents up the field. Quickly closes to the action, immediately alters his angle of attack and chases the action from behind. Squares and wraps tackling bringing ball carriers down on initial contact. Displays an array of moves getting off blocks.

NEGATIVES: Looked overweight and out of shape as a junior and as though he was playing not to get hurt. Lackadaisical off the ball and inconsistent at times.

ANALYSIS: Displaying flashes of dominance, Wilfork is an explosive defender in the middle of the line. Had a lot of inconsistency issues last season which is dropping him down draft boards but a good prospect at a priority position.

TY WARREN

BIO: Leader on the A&M defensive line three years running. Struggled through an injury plagued senior campaign and missed starts late in the season yet finished with 52 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and 41/2 sacks. First-team All-Conference choice as a junior after 41-12-4. Moved in with the first unit as a sophomore and produced 38-16-4.

POSITIVES: Explosive and athletic lineman who can be used in a number of areas up front. Quickly gets off the ball with a nice first step, powerful in his lower body and pushes double teams up the field, collapsing the pocket. Focused on by opponents yet uses solid hand technique to slide off blocks laterally. Smooth moving about the field, displays good range and effective if asked to twist or stunt. Breaks down well and for the most part plays with leverage, keeping his pad level down. Toughened up as his career progressed and played through injuries as a senior.

NEGATIVES: Poor tackling technique and occasionally has difficulty bringing the ball carrier down on initial contact. Lacks the top instincts and slow to locate. Has a history of underachieving and not meeting expectations.

ANALYSIS: Can be a dominant force when focused and displayed that skill during Senior Bowl practice as well as throughout his college career. Big and athletic enough to be either a two-gap player in a 34 defense or a ferocious tackle in a 4-3 alignment. Inconsistent performances will push him deeper into the draft than his talents would warrant but if he gets it together and makes football a priority, a productive player at the next level right out of the gate.

I like MJ alot, but I don't think it makes sense for us to draft him at all. He's a RDE; more of a pass rusher, not as stout against the run. Trouble is, we are 2 deep at RDE with Abe, Davis and Bierman. Wheras at LDE, we have only JA98 and Simon Frasier. I still think JA98 has yet to reach his full potential, but Frasier is a marginal backup at best. If we draft a DE, it needs to be a LDE to back up JA98. We can use a 4th or 5th on a LDE to develop.

Yea cause other players in the draft AREN'T projects...does anyone know how stupid it sounds to say one player is a risk and a project compared to other players in the draft? Every player is a project. And MJ was extremely disruptive at GT, try actually watching the games, it's not all about sacks.