Tim Floyd is in Arizona meeting with the AD

Unknøwn

Multiple sources confirmed to FOXSports.com that Floyd was in Tucson to meet with Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood on Wednesday afternoon.

Floyd, 55, has spent the last four seasons at USC and is 85-50 in his tenure in Southern California. He led the Trojans to three NCAA tournament appearances — including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2007.

Floyd also coached in the NBA with the Chicago Bulls in 1999-2002 and the New Orleans Hornets in 2004.

He was also the head coach in college with Iowa State, New Orleans and Idaho.

Floyd will give stability to a program that desperately needs it. Hall of Fame coach Lute Olson retired just prior to the start of the season after suffering a stroke. Arizona advanced to the Sweet 16 with interim coach Russ Pennell and associate head coach Mike Dunlap at the helm.

Two seasons ago, it was another interim coach, Kevin O'Neill, who took the reigns after Olson stepped away for health reasons.

Arizona athletic director Jim Livengood made a pitch to nearly all of the elite coaches since Olson retired. Pittsburgh's Jamie Dixon, Gonzaga's Mark Few, Michigan State's Tom Izzo were all contacted, but none expressed serious interest in leaving their current situations.

The Arizona job isn't nearly as attractive — especially in the short-term because of the lack of talent in Tucson. Juniors Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill — the team's top two players — are both likely to leave early for the NBA and starting point guard Nic Wise, also a junior, is contemplating a transfer.

Besides the Big Three, there wasn't much Pac-10-caliber talent in Tucson these days. With all the uncertainty regarding Olson, many of the players who had committed and/or signed with the school elected to go elsewhere.

A couple guys up at work (one a big UGA guy) were trying to tell me that Capel was already getting the Arizona job. I sat there just shaking my head and thinking why the **** a guy that wants to move closer to his family would take a job even farther away from them..This confirms my assumption.