MMWords falcons, Asher Allen will be a mid to late 2nd round pick

I think he will go early in the 3rd a lot because of his 40 time. He is a bit of a reach in the second. I think there are several corners who are better than him: Vontae Davis, Malcolm Jenkins, Darius Butler, Alphonso Smith, D.J. Moore, Victor Harris, Jarius Byrd, Mike Mickens, then I see Allen coming off the board. I personally think it would have been smarter for him to stay another year

PASS

Wow, that speaks to Allen. GEORGIAfan not wanting a player from GA?

But I did find this on nfldraftscout.com:

"03/20/09 - The Falcons appeared to be interested in Georgia cornerback Asher Allen, who ran a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash, but showed weak ball skills. Cornerback Ramarcus Brown, who trained with Deion Sanders to prepare for the workouts, injured his left hamstring and had to pull out. Sanders was in attendance. The Falcons are looking to improve their cornerback play after allowing Domonique Foxworth to leave as a free agent. - The SportsXchange "

I just don't see it. The last thing we need is another young guy to develop at the corner position. I'd prefer a cheap vet. And we have much more pressing needs than corner. (And we already have a fast guy with poor ball skills we picked up in the 2nd round)

I'm a Bulldog myself, but I have to disagree with you on Asher Allen being a second round pick. Granted there are a lot of NFL CB's under 5'10'' , he is still considered short. Have you looked at his stats, sorry, they just are not good. He never even flashed big time cover ability. Honestly, I think he is more of a 4th round guy. Some team may reach for him in round 3, but I just don't see it.

I also have a problem when a guy runs 4.64 at the combine then runs 4.33 at his pro day. That's just too big of a difference. I believe he is between those two numbers, I never saw 4.33 speed from him on the field.

I really like Asher Allen and I have since he started playing for Georgia. He's one of those guys that I think is going to get alot better and he's just a football player. What I mean by that is he just seems to be one of those guys that can make a play when it is needed.

I think alot of Asher and he's a homegrown ATL talent who I think can be a great pro but that's just it. If you draft him you are taking a risk because he may not be what you think he is. He seems like a fairly physical player who I do think has good coverage skills. Allen is someone who intrigues me because of what I think he might could be but I am not sure that validates reaching in the 2nd when you can get better value.

Studying the draft some more I am thinking that there may be better value there at that pick in Marcus Freeman. The Falcons have said that they want to add a LB through the draft and he may be the best value unless you take Nic Harris in the 5th.

It is a reach to take Allen in the 2nd and I admit it but at one time I was ok with doing it but looking at the big picture it may not be such a great move.

However if the Falcons can unload that 1st round pick which saves them from paying 1st round money and get an extra pick at the front end of that 2nd that may indeed allow us to pick up both Delmas and Allen and that to me seems like better value than just playing it straight and taking the best 1st and 2nd round players we can get.

Seems like the best thing for the Falcons to do is trade down into the 2nd and trade up someone out of the 6th and into the 4th if it's possible.

I'm a Bulldog myself, but I have to disagree with you on Asher Allen being a second round pick. Granted there are a lot of NFL CB's under 5'10'' , he is still considered short. Have you looked at his stats, sorry, they just are not good. He never even flashed big time cover ability. Honestly, I think he is more of a 4th round guy. Some team may reach for him in round 3, but I just don't see it.

I also have a problem when a guy runs 4.64 at the combine then runs 4.33 at his pro day. That's just too big of a difference. I believe he is between those two numbers, I never saw 4.33 speed from him on the field.

i agree. hes a 6th tounder if u ask me. he shoulda stayed in school. Only blind homer UGA fans want him