Bruce Pearl high on Memphis's list

Unknøwn

University of Memphis super donor Alan Graf, who is helping spearhead the search for a new basketball coach, said today the school is intent on making a “wow hire.”

Toward that goal, it is believed that representatives of the school contacted Louisville coach Rick Pitino to gauge his interest in the position. Also believed to be high on the list is Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl.

“We’ve asked for a lot of permissions (to speak with coaches) and we’ve gotten them,” Graf said. “I think we certainly have a capability of making a wow hire.

“Some of the names (being considered), if people heard them, they’d say, ‘Wow.’”

The pitch to Pitino could involve a succession plan for his son, Richard Pitino, to take the position when he was ready to retire. Richard Pitino, 26, has been an assistant at College of Charleston, Northeastern, Duquesne and Louisville.

Rick Pitino, 56, would likely want such a plan in place to consider any opening. Pitino took Louisville to the Elite Eight this season, his eighth year at the school. Pitino also coached eight years at Kentucky.

It was unclear whether Pitino expressed interest in the position.

Louisville’s sports information director, Kenny Klein, said Memphis had not contacted Louisville about speaking with Pitino.

haha. Memphis was a good program because coach cal was there and he was a great recruiter. how are they supposed to pull guys from big time schools and big time conferences to come to memphis and play UTEP and UAB???

Not a bad gig a top flight coach could pad his stats and make it to the tourney every year.

haha. Memphis was a good program because coach cal was there and he was a great recruiter. how are they supposed to pull guys from big time schools and big time conferences to come to memphis and play UTEP and UAB???

Actually, Memphis was a good program because metropolitan Memphis is a high school basketball haven.

The only other choice is sell drugs or get shot.

Before anyone else says it

'Cism

I spent a year in Memphis ten years ago. A young lady worked for me and when a musical act was advertised to be performing at a certain club in town, I asked if she would attend. She told me that she didn't go there because five of her high school classmates had been killed outside the club since graduation. She was only 22 years old.

I guess things haven't changed.