Anyone else get it?

Zenduke

I know that Brooking and Malloy were old, slow and a liability against the pass. I have no problem with them leaving. However, if they were such liabilities then why didn't DeCoud and Nicholas play last year?

I want to have confidence in the staff to make the right decision but I still can't help but worry that we're pinning our hopes on back ups.

Maybe the coaching staff felt that the leadership part was more important then the ability part. And there was a need for them to be there because of all the youth.

I don't understand it. How could they not be good enough to start before but all of a sudden they are now? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yes I have thoughts on this. First, not everyone comes into the league ready to start. On good teams, they usually let them develop for a year or two first before they even get a chance top start. We had to let a bunch of rookies start last year and in years past because we've almost always come into a season with a lot of holes. Great teams don't start them right away for the most part. The other reason, you've already stated. Veteran leadership. It was even more important last year because of all the young players having to either start or contribute in big ways. It was also a new system and it was easier to get players lined up right when we had a vet on every level of the defense. It's rare for a OLB to call the defensive plays but Brooking was the only one capable of doing it last year. Now Lofton is going to take that over because he's learned from Brooking. Chevis didn't start last year either but he is expected to compete for a starting role this year. Decoud was a rookie and was not going to start no matter if he was physically better than Milloy or not because of Milloy's leadership and him being the leader of the secondary. He is communicating to the young guys what he is reading. That was important and Decoud wouldn't had been able to do that last year as a rookie. Nicholas was not a rookie but he was like a rookie because he was learning a new defense after only playing one year. He had a lot to learn. The difference between these vets that have been playing for many years and learning a new system is that they have seen pretty much everything that the NFL has to offer. They can adapt a lot easier than a 1st or 2nd year guy. No way was Brooking or Milloy not going to be out there last year for that knowledge and the ability to get guys lined up.

OK, but DeCoud was not even ACTIVE for most of our games last year. When Milloy was hurt, it was Fudge who played. How do you jump from that, to now having a high certainty that DeCoud will be an awesome starter for us?

If TD knew DeCoud was the future, why not at least get him some playing time last year, to prepare for this year? But the inactive status indicates they didn't even deem him worth getting a little playing time.

If TD knew DeCoud was the future, why not at least get him some playing time last year, to prepare for this year? But the inactive status indicates they didn't even deem him worth getting a little playing time.

well that was because Milloy was a SS Decoud is a FS all they have to do is move Coleman back to SS witch is not to hard

All I know is Nicolas cay lay some wood out there on the field and appears to be a true grit football guy. This seems to fit everything our coaching staff is looking for. Anyone who payed attention to his Special Teams play last year knows what I am talking about. I look forward to seeing his progression this year...actually I'm excited! The guy deserves his shot....heck everyone has to start somewhere.

B)

However, if they were such liabilities then why didn't DeCoud and Nicholas play last year?
It's called not overwhelming the young players...Nicholas has a year more NFL experience than DeCoud and Van Gordor tried to get Nicholas in the game much as he could...He put him in pass-rush situations and 3-3-5 formations....DeCoud played primarily on ST and played real well...Also, when you are in the middle of a playoff run, you don't want to throw them into the fire....This year, they know they will have a legit chance to start, and they are getting their minds set on that....

OK, but DeCoud was not even ACTIVE for most of our games last year. When Milloy was hurt, it was Fudge who played. How do you jump from that, to now having a high certainty that DeCoud will be an awesome starter for us?

He didn't come in for Milloy because he was moved to backup FS and Jamal Fudge was backup SS. You don't put in your backup FS when the SS goes down when you already have a backup SS. IT might of been different if Decoud had played a fewq years but he was learning to play still and he was practicing and learning the FS spot last year. That is where is probably will play this year since Coleman already said he was moving to SS this year. As far as him getting playing time. We were in a playoff race last year. No time for taking out you starters so your rookie can get some PT. I coyuld maybe understand coming in as a NB but Chevis had that locked down and Decoud was busy learning the FS spot, not CB. Bottom line is we were not going to take out Coleman or Milloy during a playoff race so our rookie can gain some experience.