Read Sony's Lips: There's No PS3 Price Cut Coming

Sony has issued its strongest statement yet to the growing chorus of gamers, publishers and analysts calling for a price cut on the PS3: "We do not have plans for a PS3 price drop, and any rumors to that effect are false and are the result of speculation." That's the statement the company gave Joystiq today, in an effort to squash buzz that the price drop was coming tomorrow. It's a bit different from the standard "we don't comment on speculation" response, and even clearer than the "we're focused on long-term profitability" line that Sony (NYSE: SNE) has been using in every interview.

Sony has contacted a number of blogs like Kotaku in advance of a "major" announcement tomorrow, but clearly, the news won't be about a cheaper PS3. As we noted before, the company is stuck between a rock and a hard place with its PS3 pricing: it's being outsold two-to-one by both the Xbox 360 and the Wii, but if Sony slashes the price to compete, it will dig itself further into the hole with manufacturing costs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9033003259.html

So?

Sony doesn't announce price cuts months in advance. That would be stupid, and it drops your sales considerably in the months leading to the cut.

Sony announces price cuts a few days at most before they take place. Just like Apple has done.

They've also said stuff like this in previous price cuts. It's all because they want to announce it on their own terms. Believe me, a price cut is coming very soon.

PS3 will be $300 by the coming holiday season.

I dunno, they are kinda stuck tho, my guess is they will have to cut MFG costs more before they can/will lower the price. One way to accomplish this would be to replace the current 65 nanometer Cell chip with a 45 nanometer. I think this will happen (its been in the works). in comparison The 360 has had 5 different Motherboard versions and has moved from a 90 nanometer process to a 65 nanometer for both the CPU and GPU. As for hitting the 300$ price mark, they might want to go sub 300$ and I don't mean 299$, As Blu-ray drives and players and media prices drop the Blu-ray drive becomes less and less of a premium price sell point. Its all about content bro.

So?

Sony doesn't announce price cuts months in advance. That would be stupid, and it drops your sales considerably in the months leading to the cut.

Sony announces price cuts a few days at most before they take place. Just like Apple has done.

They've also said stuff like this in previous price cuts. It's all because they want to announce it on their own terms. Believe me, a price cut is coming very soon.

Blah blah blah. Spin spin spin. Sony fan talk.

So?

if that's the case then sony will essentially have dropped it's price to 50% within three years. I think that may be a record for one of the fastest falls in gaming history.

if that's the case then sony will essentially have dropped it's price to 50% within three years. I think that may be a record for one of the fastest falls in gaming history.

WoW! I didn't even notice, that is about a 50% decrease

given sony's history with the ps3 i don't know if that will be the case. I do agree with you in thinking that sony really can't afford to cut the price so what they will do is throw in a bigger hard drive and an old game and keep the price at 400 and get rid of other SKUs.

Like.... 120gb PS3 with rachet and clank or uncharted for 400.

given sony's history with the ps3 i don't know if that will be the case. I do agree with you in thinking that sony really can't afford to cut the price so what they will do is throw in a bigger hard drive and an old game and keep the price at 400 and get rid of other SKUs.

I could see that, the bigger HD wouldn't really add production cost but would be seen as a better value by the consumer, throw in a classic game to boot and bingo!

Sony WILL cut price this year.

That is a certainty. It's a matter of when. It'll be by late summer at the latest. I say by September.

It isn't really 50% because the PS3 you bought for 600 bucks three years ago mops the floor with the PS3 you might be able to buy sometime this year for 300 in terms of feature set.

Yup. Same could be said for X360, as well. It was 400 dollars in 2005, now it's 200 dollars. Both don't have the same features though.

So it would be the same situation in terms of how much is cut.

The price would still be higher for PS3, though.