What Makes UGA a desirable place for coaches?

Mr.Pickles

We have tons of money. Power conference. The state of Georgia has some of the best basketball talent in the country to draw from. Second to none practice facility.

There are a lot of reasons not to like UGA as a coach as well. But the potential is definitely there for this program.

We have tons of money. Power conference. The state of Georgia has some of the best basketball talent in the country to draw from. Second to none practice facility.

There are a lot of reasons not to like UGA as a coach as well. But the potential is definitely there for this program.

The SEC......... :huh: :huh: :huh:

Why would any coach leave their school to attend UGA?

the same could have been said regarding uf a few years ago.. UGA is a great place to go and coach and has a lot of advantages. it offers the same as uf does. :rolleyes: Your smacktalk is lame especially when mentioning gt and you claim to be a uf fan. It's clear you are just baiting. BTW please learn some basic stuff.. coach's don't attend universities.. students do.

Georgia has a nice practice facility but it's just not a basketball school. It could be but right now its football program dominates as it always has.

so you are saying we are what uf was.. you can say that for many football schools out there. the only difference is we are where we are due to jim harrick. it takes the right guy and that can build this program. We have one of the best if not the best practicie facility in the country. The administration already has a plan to renovate stegman. They are showing a determination to build this basketball program. Question can they get the right guy to lead the program. That's up to damon. Personally I would be happy with a young guy like Scott Drew.

Georgia has a nice practice facility but it's just not a basketball school. It could be but right now its football program dominates as it always has.

I agree. We are a football school. And always will be. But that doesn't mean our basketball program should suffer like it has been. Like Sac said, our program's pretty much like Florida before Donovan got there. Plenty of money, and fans that will support a winning program. But we need a coach to get us there.

Why would any coach leave their school to attend UGA?

First off, coaches don't "attend" a school. Students do that. But aside from that...

5 Reasons why the University of Georgia is a desirable place for a basketball coach:

1. Georgia (more specifically Atlanta) is a basketball recruiting hotbed.

2. We just finished constructing one of the best baskeball practice facilities in the nation.

3. We have a young AD with a desire to change the direction of the UGA bball program.

4. Less pressure because there isn't the level of expectation that you'd find at Kentucky or UNC (well, at least not yet).

5. 2.1 million dollars.

First off, coaches don't "attend" a school. Students do that. But aside from that...

5 Reasons why the University of Georgia is a desirable place for a basketball coach:

1. Georgia (more specifically Atlanta) is a basketball recruiting hotbed.

2. We just finished constructing one of the best baskeball practice facilities in the nation.

3. We have a young AD with a desire to change the direction of the UGA bball program.

4. Less pressure because there isn't the level of expectation that you'd find at Kentucky or UNC (well, at least not yet).

5. 2.1 million dollars.

Those are some d*mn good reasons. :lol:

You Georgia fans keep falling back on "Oh well Florida was the same way."

We were a blip on the radar. We're right back to being the same mediocre basketball team we were before the 04's came in. Florida just happened to get the right recruits in at the right time when Kentucky was on a downward spiral.

Now that Calipari is at Kentucky, they will go right back to dominating this conference and we'll go right back to being a team that makes the tournament every now and then, just like the rest of the teams in the SEC. Yeah, we won two back to back National Championships, and then promptly became the first team in NCAA history to miss the tournament in back to back years after a Championship. Florida is a football school, and the basketball team will likely never see that kind of success again.

You are what you are, there's nothing wrong with that. Florida is a football factory, and so is Georgia. It just happens that Florida got really hot for a two year stretch when the conference's historically dominant team (Kentucky) was a dumpster fire.

I think people get it confused when they refer a school to one sport every schools has it main stay sport high school and college alike. All this means is when the money comes rolling in who gets first taste of the money and who is under the most pressure to win. In this day in time it is feasible to pay attention to all sports equally by an AD by the schools knows there life blood, example:

Will the head basketball coach ever make more than the head football coach?

Will the basketball facilities ever be better than the football facilities?

Which sport helps fund all the other sports on your campus?

You answer those three question and that will help you realize the order of president on that teams campus.

I hate that people say we are a football school. that's ********. ya we are a football school, but so was Florida and Alabama. Alabama still got Grant. Its not like the boosters dont pay any attention to basketball. I think its apparent in our want to pay a coach 2 million and improve stegman that UGA is dedicated to creating a good basketball program. So saying we are a football school is dumb. That makes it sound like UGA doesnt care about basketball and doesnt want to spend money or time on them, because they do. UGA is one of the unique schools that is good in all sports. Gymnastics, Tennis, Baseball, Football, Horses, etc. UGA has shown a commitment to the basketball program.

I'm not saying UGA doesn't care about basketball. Of course they care about basketball, that would provide them with another avenue to line their pockets. I'm just saying that football is king in the SEC, save for Kentucky and Vanderbilt. UGA is really hurt by the fact that they're located in Athens. Athens is a really nice small little town, but it's really not appealing at all for fans of basketball. UGA football fans are willing to drive from Atlanta, Gwinnett and all over the state of Georgia to watch the football team play because everyone is nuts about college football down here. People aren't going to drive from Atlanta on a Wednesday night to watch Georgia play Ole Miss at the Sted, it's just not going to happen.

Whether your want to hear it or not, the UGA fanbase doesn't really care about basketball that much. The freaking gymnastics team outdraws them for god's sake. I don't know why you guys get so offended when someone calls you a football school. I'm **** proud to have Florida called a football school, because that's my favorite sport, hands down, and if having our football team by a premiere, upper echelon team means we have mediocre basketball, baseball, and all the sports people don't care about like gymnastics and volleyball, then so be it.

Be proud that you have a good football program, because that's what brings the most money, and it's the most exciting.

I'm not saying UGA doesn't care about basketball. Of course they care about basketball, that would provide them with another avenue to line their pockets. I'm just saying that football is king in the SEC, save for Kentucky and Vanderbilt. UGA is really hurt by the fact that they're located in Athens. Athens is a really nice small little town, but it's really not appealing at all for fans of basketball. UGA football fans are willing to drive from Atlanta, Gwinnett and all over the state of Georgia to watch the football team play because everyone is nuts about college football down here. People aren't going to drive from Atlanta on a Wednesday night to watch Georgia play Ole Miss at the Sted, it's just not going to happen.

Whether your want to hear it or not, the UGA fanbase doesn't really care about basketball that much. The freaking gymnastics team outdraws them for god's sake. I don't know why you guys get so offended when someone calls you a football school. I'm **** proud to have Florida called a football school, because that's my favorite sport, hands down, and if having our football team by a premiere, upper echelon team means we have mediocre basketball, baseball, and all the sports people don't care about like gymnastics and volleyball, then so be it.

Be proud that you have a good football program, because that's what brings the most money, and it's the most exciting.

I'm not seeing why Athens is unappealing for fans of basketball. Athens isn't much smaller than Gainesville. There's over 150k people in the area. If just a third of the students show up to game, Stegeman is filled. They don't need people to drive from Atlanta. You can't really compare it to a home football weekend.

If UGA starts winning, people will show up.

What I wanna know is howcome Atlanta is such a hotbed for basketball talent but neither Tech or UGA is going after these guys.

and in regards to this post...UGA basketball IS where florida was, which is why the big name coaches are looking elsewhere. Tubby Smith already set the precident that UGA is a springboard job. 2.1 mil is a lot, but if you can work your way to a job UNC or Kansas the money will come. Some much lesser known guy is going to have to come in and build that team up for the top coaches to consider UGA. Tech is falling into that rut as well except at least we have the ACC help build us back up

UGA is not GT? link? :huh:

UGA just got a really good coach grabbing the former coach at Nevada however they have more then a few things working against them right now

- the SEC is not the Big East or ACC in basketball

- when going head to head, an instate player is almost always going to choose GT over UGA bc of its NBA prestige. GT pumps out NBA prospects with even undrafted players making NBA rosters and contributing (Mario West / Anthony Morrow), UGA has...the ghost of Dominique Wilkins (who btw, should have majored in communications bc it would probably would have done him some good)

- there appears to be very little excitement behind the basketball program at UGA. maybe the new coach will change this.

UGA is not GT? link? :huh:

UGA just got a really good coach grabbing the former coach at Nevada however they have more then a few things working against them right now

- the SEC is not the Big East or ACC in basketball

- when going head to head, an instate player is almost always going to choose GT over UGA bc of its NBA prestige. GT pumps out NBA prospects with even undrafted players making NBA rosters and contributing (Mario West / Anthony Morrow), UGA has...the ghost of Dominique Wilkins (who btw, should have majored in communications bc it would probably would have done him some good)

- there appears to be very little excitement behind the basketball program at UGA. maybe the new coach will change this.

Fox has sent 4 players to the NBA in 5 years at Nevada. I'd say he's got a good shot of matching or surpassing GT in recruiting.

Fox has sent 4 players to the NBA in 5 years at Nevada. I'd say he's got a good shot of matching or surpassing GT in recruiting.

Recruiting isn't a problem with Mark Fox. that's one area he did great at Nevada. gt fans need to wonder who will be coaching them after next year.. if hewitt doesn't do something big with that recruiting class they will be looking for a new head coach.. you can't continue to under perform which is what gt has been doing for years with all that talent. you have 3 out of 4 years with a losing record and 2 11-17 seasons..

What I wanna know is howcome Atlanta is such a hotbed for basketball talent but neither Tech or UGA is going after these guys.

and in regards to this post...UGA basketball IS where florida was, which is why the big name coaches are looking elsewhere. Tubby Smith already set the precident that UGA is a springboard job. 2.1 mil is a lot, but if you can work your way to a job UNC or Kansas the money will come. Some much lesser known guy is going to have to come in and build that team up for the top coaches to consider UGA. Tech is falling into that rut as well except at least we have the ACC help build us back up

I guess you haven't seen GT's recruiting class for this year? 4 top 100 players(all from GA) including the best player in the nation Derrick Favors from South Atlanta. Also former Mr. Georgia's Javaris Crittenton and Gani Lawal. Fact is GT dominates the state in recruiting right now.

I guess you haven't seen GT's recruiting class for this year? 4 top 100 players(all from GA) including the best player in the nation Derrick Favors from South Atlanta. Also former Mr. Georgia's Javaris Crittenton and Gani Lawal. Fact is GT dominates the state in recruiting right now.

GT is to college basketball that Clemson has been to college football. They have some of the best teams in the nation and some way, some how, they seem to do their best to falter down the stretch. I've rarely seen such talented teams look for ways to lose.