Nice lil article

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArWA...o&type=lgns

The part talking about JA98 says:

DE Jamaal Anderson – He’s been an utter bust through two seasons, and won’t trigger a $5 million sack escalator in his contract. He’s got a $766,000 base salary the team can stomach this year. But he’s making $1.16 million in 2010, which is more difficult to stomach if the Falcons aren’t getting any return. That number pushes to $1.55 million in base money in 2011. Whatever the case, the Falcons seem certain to address defensive end in the draft, and if Anderson is relegated to an ineffective bit player in 2009, don’t expect the Falcons to keep him around much longer.

Don't kill the messenger.... :D

After 2 seasons, many insisted Roddy White was a bust and he had a contract structured something like this as well .

I wonder how many realize how silly they were or prematurely calling the Pro Bowl WR in only his 3rd season a bust?

After 2 seasons, many insisted Roddy White was a bust and he had a contract structured something like this as well .

I wonder how many realize how silly they were or prematurely calling the Pro Bowl WR in only his 3rd season a bust?

not enough apparently.

He made Pro bowl his fourth season, small point I know.

I think if you are said to be an immediate impact player, especially one in a position that doesn't take long to develop like RB, you can possibly be a bust by the end of your second year if you have been given all the tools to succeed.

However, if you were said to be a developmental player, especially at positions that can take a bit longer to get used to like QB or DE, you get three years, maybe three and a half depending on the amount you got to play.

Remember QB and DE are the two most important positions in football, and with the talent of secondaries and Offensive Tackles, respectively, they can be two of the most difficult to excel at. If they were easy to do they wouldn't get paid so much. Three years is a very fair amount of time to give them, and if they don't produce after that, you can mark them as a bust without guilt.

He earned a pro bowl in his third year though. Just because he didn't get it, doesn't mean he didn't earn it. Abraham didn't get one after leading all DE's with sacks.

Yeah but he said he was a pro bowler in his third year, I was correcting him because he actually wasn't a pro bowler in his third year, even if we wanted him to be.

And I noted that it was a small point as Roddy really stepped up in 07.

Jamaal Anderson is lazy. Just look at him. That's all you need to do, is just look at him. He's slow, unmotivated, just lazy.

I agree... I saw him in one pic yesterday and he still looks just as fat and undefined as ever. Its really pathetic when you look some of the highend DE's that were in his draft class.

Yeah, that non passing QB name Vick had nothing to do with that. <_<

Rightly or wrongly Roddy got a bit more slack than JA98 because Roddy was in a position where his performance was largely dependant on the performance of another player, our qb. Because many people believed that Vick wasn't necessarily the best at delivering the ball on time and on spot Roddy was given the benefit of a doubt by many. Yes he appeared to lack opposable thumbs at times but he did show a few "flashes". Even with a sub-par qb in Harrington delivering the ball to him Roddy's numbers improved almost immediately.

JA98 is in a different spot altogether. While his success is still somewhat dependant on the players around him, he is expected to cause havoc and collapse the pocket. Individually, a DE can have a more visible impact on a game without those around him playing well. A wr isn't in the same boat. Anderson deserves to be on the team this season. But he should come to camp on par with other DE's, not as an expected starter. If he can deliver, then he should start. If not then let him sit the bench until his cap number becomes intolerable, and cut him loose.

It is so interesting to see how there is a basic agreement that Jamaal has been a bust so far in the rest of the league. The only exception is in these MBs where some strange 3 year rule is brought up in judging NFL players. Strangely TD's first two picks in the first round did not seem to need a 3 year mulligan. Other than the mythical 3 year rule, the straw man Roddy White is consistently brought up. Roddy White who was the 27th pick in the draft as opposed to the 8th pick in the draft is now the NFL benchmark for grading players. I guess the rest of the NFL has not gotten the memo from Gazoo on this because they don't seem to follow it. Strangely White's career seemed to take off after YKW left the team. Maybe that had something to do with it.

It is so interesting to see how there is a basic agreement that Jamaal has been a bust so far in the rest of the league. The only exception is in these MBs where some strange 3 year rule is brought up in judging NFL players. Strangely TD's first two picks in the first round did not seem to need a 3 year mulligan. Other than the mythical 3 year rule, the straw man Roddy White is consistently brought up. Roddy White who was the 27th pick in the draft as opposed to the 8th pick in the draft is now the NFL benchmark for grading players. I guess the rest of the NFL has not gotten the memo from Gazoo on this because they don't seem to follow it. Strangely White's career seemed to take off after YKW left the team. Maybe that had something to do with it.

I think the big problem here is that some people feel the bust label is permanent. Whether it was ykw or the fact he was out partying all night every night White WAS a bust initially. If it was mostly ykw's fault it doesn't change the facts just like it doesn't change the fact that JA was not scouted properly and taken way to early in the draft.

The article hit it perfectly... he has been an utter bust through 2 seasons. Unless something changes we will need an upgrade at that position.

Bottom line is he'll be making the equivalent to the veteran minimum salary this year. If the organisation doesn't feel that he's making significant strides this year in both this effort and overall play, then he won't be around long.

If he does improve this year, I'm all for keeping him around. He's still only 23, the same age as alot of rookies in this years' draft & considering his base salaries over the next three years (assuming he's not due a significant roster bonus in the future) it'll be cheaper to keep on the team than to swallow the salary cap hit.

I think the big problem here is that some people feel the bust label is permanent. Whether it was ykw or the fact he was out partying all night every night White WAS a bust initially. If it was mostly ykw's fault it doesn't change the facts just like it doesn't change the fact that JA was not scouted properly and taken way to early in the draft.

The article hit it perfectly... he has been an utter bust through 2 seasons. Unless something changes we will need an upgrade at that position.

Hi man, where is the wall of shame. That was really funny. In fact you should start a thread for posters who actually have been on the wall of shame so they can tell everyone how they feel about that honor. I like the guy from Boston who called you a psycho and you have to add Gazoo and FalconFaithful as well for their selfserving (in Gazoo's case) and incomprehensible (in FalconFaithful's case) posts.

Hi man, where is the wall of shame. That was really funny. In fact you should start a thread for posters who actually have been on the wall of shame so they can tell everyone how they feel about that honor. I like the guy from Boston who called you a psycho and you have to add Gazoo and FalconFaithful as well for their selfserving (in Gazoo's case) and incomprehensible (in FalconFaithful's case) posts.

It has gotten so long that I am unchecking the Enable Signature box most of the time now to cut down on scrolling through a thread. I post too often to have that big of a sig. But I will let it out this time.

It'd be nice to have an option where each person's signature only shows up one time per thread.

Rightly or wrongly Roddy got a bit more slack than JA98 because Roddy was in a position where his performance was largely dependant on the performance of another player, our qb. Because many people believed that Vick wasn't necessarily the best at delivering the ball on time and on spot Roddy was given the benefit of a doubt by many. Yes he appeared to lack opposable thumbs at times but he did show a few "flashes". Even with a sub-par qb in Harrington delivering the ball to him Roddy's numbers improved almost immediately.

JA98 is in a different spot altogether. While his success is still somewhat dependant on the players around him, he is expected to cause havoc and collapse the pocket. Individually, a DE can have a more visible impact on a game without those around him playing well. A wr isn't in the same boat. Anderson deserves to be on the team this season. But he should come to camp on par with other DE's, not as an expected starter. If he can deliver, then he should start. If not then let him sit the bench until his cap number becomes intolerable, and cut him loose.

The offense also went more towards a passing offense because of out stagnant running game at the time too. We had to pass in 07. Jamaal is good in the run game. I just hope he can be who we thought he was this year in the passing game.

I think a big difference that sticks out in my mind is the fact that Roddy has shown flashes since his rookie year. He was just incredibly inconsistent.

JA on the other hand has shown absolutely nothing.