Figures: Bucs in running for Cutler

BTW: I called this like a month or two ago.

"Six Teams And Counting Interested In Cutler

Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2009, 10:19 p.m. EDT

The “For Sale” sign has been planted in the front yard, and the Broncos will soon be showing potential buyers the partially-finished basement.

According to Charles Robinson and Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, at least six teams are interested in Cutler.

The Jets, Buccaneers, Bears, Lions, 49ers, and Browns already have been identified. Per Robinson and Cole, the Jaguars have shown interest as well.

As we’ve been saying over and over until people tell us to shut up, any team contemplating using a first-round pick on a quarterback should be interested in Cutler, because unlike an unproven rookie first-rounder Cutler has shown that he can perform at the NFL level.

Meanwhile, chatter persists in league circles regarding the Redskins. We heard several weeks ago that the ‘Skins are indeed interested. As one league source reiterated moments ago, the pursuit of Cutler in 2009 could be driven by the intended pursuit of the man who drafted him in 2010 — former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan."

I don't know if they have the picks after the Winslow trade, but it's still something we should worry about.

Lemme find my old thread, to show my genius.

Wow, that has been a long two weeks: http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=3837846

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure tampa is wanting Cutler but in the end i dont see him going there. Denver doesnt want draft picks to draft another qb and groom him. that would mean the past couple of years were a waste. Denver wants another good qb in exchange for him. but then again, if they cant get a good qb in a trade, they would have to settle for a draft picks. who knows

the way I see it, if the Detroit Lions want Jay Cutler - he is there's for the taking - the Lions have the most to offer. They have the #1, #20 and #33 picks in the draft.

I think the "price of admission" for Jay Cutler will be two 1st round picks plus possibly more. I think the Lions could deal the #1 overall pick this year, 3rd round pick this year and a 2nd round pick in 2010 - I think that would get the deal done.

Lions then have Cutler and still have #20 and #33 overall this year to build the Lions while maintaining their 1st round pick for 2010.

The Broncos have #1-1(from Detroit - to take a QB), #1-13, #2-48, #3-65(from Detroit), #3-79......in other words, they have a "boat-load of picks for 2009 while still garnering an extra 2nd rounder for 2010 from Detroit. Jay Cutler wants a new contract at probably $15 million/season but that is probably a better deal than giving a rookie $12 million/season. For Cutler to agree to a trade, he will want a new contract since he is underpaid now at $8 million/season on average.

Here is how the teams could look after draft day:

Broncos:

#1-1)(f/ Det) Matthew Stafford-QB-Georgia - The one player that Stafford gets compared to most is Jay Cutler. Broncos are more than a player or two away anyway so why not go ahead and get a younger - albeit unproven - QB who has all the tools and is smart.

#1-13) Rey Maualuga-MLB-USC - They got the QB for the offense, now Denver goes for the QB of the defense. This guy is one bad MOFO!

#2-48) Ron Brace-NT-Boston College - Broncos look for a space-eating monster in the middle - order up one Ron Brace. Check.

#3-65) Mike Mikens-CB-Cincinnati - Dre Bly was released, they need another corner.....

#3-79) Nic Harris-OLB/SS-Oklahoma - hybrid type that will make a good 3-4 rush linebacker.

Lions:

Jay Cutler-QB - obviously they get a young stud signal caller who they can effectively tie up for 6-8 years with a new contract.

#1-20) James Lauranaitis, MLB-Ohio State - the Lions could use a pure MIKE backer and JL's lack of speed won't hurt in the middle.

#2-33) Alphonso Smith, CB-Wake Forest - Detroit was thin before they let Leigh Bodden leave.

I think that is a "win/win" trade - if the Bronco's hit on the QB pick, then they just put the defense into overdrive on the rebuild. Detroit will still be a bad team for at least one more year with Cutler but Calvin Johnson will now be the #1 fantasy receiver.

Yeah I dont think there is any conceivable way that the Bucs go out and make this happen. Even IF they do, they wont be effective. Their whole coaching staff just got gutted and its gonna be a while before they reclaim any sort of identity.

I would think that the Panthers are seriously thinking about getting involved in this. With McDaniels being the new HC and coming from New England is there a chance that the Broncos will switch to a 3-4 defense? If so, maybe a Peppers for Cutler trade would occur with the Panthers throwing a couple of draft picks in there.

It would create a very cool Cutler vs. Ryan rivalry within the division... I like it. Bring it on!

i agree, dont be afraid of the Bucs, i am telling ya right now i dont think morris is ready to be a head coach, i believe by week 6 they will be screaming for chuckie back ...

the way I see it, if the Detroit Lions want Jay Cutler - he is there's for the taking - the Lions have the most to offer. They have the #1, #20 and #33 picks in the draft.

I think the "price of admission" for Jay Cutler will be two 1st round picks plus possibly more. I think the Lions could deal the #1 overall pick this year, 3rd round pick this year and a 2nd round pick in 2010 - I think that would get the deal done.

Lions then have Cutler and still have #20 and #33 overall this year to build the Lions while maintaining their 1st round pick for 2010.

The Broncos have #1-1(from Detroit - to take a QB), #1-13, #2-48, #3-65(from Detroit), #3-79......in other words, they have a "boat-load of picks for 2009 while still garnering an extra 2nd rounder for 2010 from Detroit. Jay Cutler wants a new contract at probably $15 million/season but that is probably a better deal than giving a rookie $12 million/season. For Cutler to agree to a trade, he will want a new contract since he is underpaid now at $8 million/season on average.

Here is how the teams could look after draft day:

Broncos:

#1-1)(f/ Det) Matthew Stafford-QB-Georgia - The one player that Stafford gets compared to most is Jay Cutler. Broncos are more than a player or two away anyway so why not go ahead and get a younger - albeit unproven - QB who has all the tools and is smart.

#1-13) Rey Maualuga-MLB-USC - They got the QB for the offense, now Denver goes for the QB of the defense. This guy is one bad MOFO!

#2-48) Ron Brace-NT-Boston College - Broncos look for a space-eating monster in the middle - order up one Ron Brace. Check.

#3-65) Mike Mikens-CB-Cincinnati - Dre Bly was released, they need another corner.....

#3-79) Nic Harris-OLB/SS-Oklahoma - hybrid type that will make a good 3-4 rush linebacker.

Lions:

Jay Cutler-QB - obviously they get a young stud signal caller who they can effectively tie up for 6-8 years with a new contract.

#1-20) James Lauranaitis, MLB-Ohio State - the Lions could use a pure MIKE backer and JL's lack of speed won't hurt in the middle.

#2-33) Alphonso Smith, CB-Wake Forest - Detroit was thin before they let Leigh Bodden leave.

I think that is a "win/win" trade - if the Bronco's hit on the QB pick, then they just put the defense into overdrive on the rebuild. Detroit will still be a bad team for at least one more year with Cutler but Calvin Johnson will now be the #1 fantasy receiver.

Sorry, but you are out of your mind if you think Jay Cutler is worth all that. Remember the Broncos have said they want Jay gone. That alone drops the price.

Here is how I see it:

I think the three team trade will heat up again With the Broncos,Browns, amd Bucs

Broncos send Culter to the Bucs, The Browns send their QB Quinn to the Broncos, and the Browns pick up a 1st round pick from the Bucs.

The only problem with that is the Jets,Bears, and Lions.

THe Bucs have the 19th pick

The Bears have the 18th pick

THe Jets have the 17th pick

The Lions have the 20th pick, and the 1st pick in the 2nd round(I don't think anybody wants to pay the money to get the #1 over all pick in round one)

If the Broncos target Brady Quinn, and the Browns are willing to trade him I think the Bears, and Jets, and Lions can give a better deal than the Bucs UNLESS the Bucs are willing to offer a 1st this year, and a 1st next year.

Lions:

i had no clue James Lauranaitis was animal from the road warriors son till today when i saw them together on nfl network, animal looks like he could still slam someone lol

Cutler is a decent QB, but even if the Sucs trade for him, it doesn't change anything...at Denver, Cutler had one of the most talented receiver cores in the league in Marshall, Royal, and Stokley as a pure, clutch receiver...who's in TB? Bryant? Winslow now? Not as much talent as he had with the Broncos...my guess since Cutler has been getting his way lately, he will want to go where the offense is already established...teams that come to mind are...

...the Lions, not only because they need a QB, but they have a decent receiving corps with C. Johnson and B. Johnson...

...the 49ers, they have a vet WR in Bruce and a load of young, talented weapons for Cutler to play with...

...the Seahawks, whoever mentioned these guys, I agree...with Houshmandzadeh added to an already talented core, easy pickings...

There's still left to be done on the offensive side of the ball with the Sucs. They have a nice RB tandem, but their passing game will leave much to be desired no matter who's at QB...in another year, maybe, but I honestly don't think Cutler will make a difference in Tampa Bay. If he goes to the Lions or Seahawks, watch out.

I would think that the Panthers are seriously thinking about getting involved in this. With McDaniels being the new HC and coming from New England is there a chance that the Broncos will switch to a 3-4 defense? If so, maybe a Peppers for Cutler trade would occur with the Panthers throwing a couple of draft picks in there.

i thought i read/heard somewhere that the panties are giving Delhome an extension.

Jay Cutler to Bucs, Brady Quinn to Denver, Bucs 1st to Denver and Broncos 2nd to Cleveland. The browns have already said they are high on Derek Anderson right now. :D

All Anderson did last year was show that he might have been a flash in the pan from a year ago. I mean his QB rating goes from 63 to 86 then back down to 66. So far he has shown that he has had 1 good year and even then he couldn't beat out Charlie Frye for 2 years for the starting position. Even in a year where Frye was traded after 1 game into the season he was named starter over Anderson. Quin finally gets his chance and is done before he can get started and when he did play he was benched once. Cleveland to me seems to have a pot of Fool's Gold on their hands. ^_^

Lions:

i had no clue James Lauranaitis was animal from the road warriors son till today when i saw them together on nfl network, animal looks like he could still slam someone lol

Makes sense to me.Cutler for the 1st pick.The Lions get the MLB ,OT or CB they need at 20 and 33.Denver could go Curry/Stafford.

Yeah I dont think there is any conceivable way that the Bucs go out and make this happen. Even IF they do, they wont be effective. Their whole coaching staff just got gutted and its gonna be a while before they reclaim any sort of identity.

I hope you're right but don't count on it. Remember what people were saying about the Falcons last year.