Trade value

Another thing to consider is we aren't the only team that knows how great next year's draft class is.

We might have to try to target a team that maybe has a front office in the hot seat, and may be fired if they don't do well next season, who would be looking to get some player now, and may not have time for next year.

Or maybe we seduce ole Al Davis, and convince him he can grab a good OT with his first pick, while still picking up a good WR target for Russell with his second pick.

The Bengals might be another team, who need both another WR to line up with Ocho Cinco, and an RB like Moreno, who could very well still be around for our pick.

Cedric Benson aint getting it done.

If we were to trade for a 2010 pic, we would surely get more than just 1 pick. Maybe a second rounder also, I guess just get all you can .

For a 24th pick?

I dunno, teams have taken a good hard look at the wealth of talent next year, don't know which team would give up a first and a second for a a low 1st rounder.

There has been a little talk about trading the 2009 # 24pic for a 2010 1st round pic. I know about the trade value chart, but how does one figure going from 09 to 10. Does this question make sense ?

When you look at trading away your 1st rounder for a pick(s) next year, you would want some type of a premium as the team wanting to deal with you generally has their eye on a specific player and feels that years class drops off drastically after said player. The benefit for the team trading out of this year is the 2010 class looks much stronger.

Sometimes it turns out good, like with the Pats who got #10 Overall from San Fran. Other times it's wack, like Philly, who had the 19th pick in o8 and ended up with the 27th pick this year. But I would be ok with that trade if I was the Eagles because they got a 2nd and 4th last year as well. If we could make a trade and end up with another 2nd, 4th, and say the 28th pick, then I would be happy.

It seems like none of you understood. Unless I'm greatly mistaken, he's asking about the value of next year's picks in relation to this years. There are trade value charts (like this) that let arm-chair GM's see the value of one pick against others, but what they don't factor in are future picks, and I believe that's what Talon is asking about. What would our 24th pick be worth next year? Clearly more than just a first, but what else? A second? A third? I don't know myself, but I'm sure somebody does...

Value wise, a future 1st and 3rd (maybe with a 5t rounder this season to get the value), but if a team wants to trade up, they usually have to give up a little more, so it could be a 3rd (or if the team needs the player badly even a 2nd) this year in addition to the 1st and 3rd next season ... don't think a team would give up 1st and 2nd.

It seems like none of you understood. Unless I'm greatly mistaken, he's asking about the value of next year's picks in relation to this years. There are trade value charts (like this) that let arm-chair GM's see the value of one pick against others, but what they don't factor in are future picks, and I believe that's what Talon is asking about. What would our 24th pick be worth next year? Clearly more than just a first, but what else? A second? A third? I don't know myself, but I'm sure somebody does...

Bingo !! That was what I was wanting to know. I saw where the Eagles and the Pats did this last year. I just didn't know how they came up with the value of the extra picks.

Generally in the past as I've heard, when trading next years 1st.

Trading next years first round pick is the equivalent of trading this years 2nd round pick.

So if we traded our pick at 24 for someones 3rd this year and 1st next year that would equal the same as trading our 1st for a 2nd & 3rd round pick.

Next years pick always grades out 1 round lower when making a trade. so a 1st = a 2nd, and a 2nd = a 3rd, and so on.

That's why everyone on here ****** about Dan Reeves trading next years 1st for a 2nd so he could draft Reggie Kelly. Next years 1st is the going rate for a 2nd round pick this year, and Dan was coming off a SB year so he didn't expect to be picking in the top 10 the following year.

The thing is, you don't know where that pick next year will be. It could be number 1 overall or the team you trade with could win the SB so that pick is at 32 which is basically a 2nd round pick. Also you're giving up a player that could help your team this year for an unknown quantity.

Hope that explanation makes sense.

For numerical comparisons, I have heard that you can consider next year's value at half the value of the same pick this year. This also works out to about one round lower. As already stated, the kicker is that you have to take your best guess about the other team's draft placement next year. If we would have traded our 2009 first at the draft last year, our trading partner never would have thought they would have been drafting at #24. They would have ended up with about half of the "value" they were expecting.

Personally, I think that a team involved in a "process" of developing the team would see this kind of trading would give great value if you could pick up future picks at this discounted price.

There are no "rules" for future picks ... every GM has his own way to value future picks, that's why it's very hard to trade for future picks. Some GMs value them like early picks in the following round, some like late picks in the same round, some deduct a certain percentage ... and ofc it always depends on the projected strength of the future draft.

Sometimes it turns out good, like with the Pats who got #10 Overall from San Fran. Other times it's wack, like Philly, who had the 19th pick in o8 and ended up with the 27th pick this year. But I would be ok with that trade if I was the Eagles because they got a 2nd and 4th last year as well. If we could make a trade and end up with another 2nd, 4th, and say the 28th pick, then I would be happy.

The Pats actually got the 7th overall pick from the 49ers & then traded with New Orleans for extra picks and still drafted the Defensive Rookie of the Year! Hopefully a blueprint of how we can do business in years to come.

The only way a team would be willing to trade a 2nd this year and their first in 2010 for our 1st round pick is if there's a run at say OT & a team is desperate to draft that player avaliable at 24. This only applies to certain positions, I can only think of QB's & OT's.